What's new

Why does a $5 Lord L6 shave so well?

I got this from the 3ay; $9 shipped a while back
Used it w a Gillette Platinum for my last shave (head and face). First I put the plastic OC for first pass head: there was too much blade chatter, pulling on the first and last pass in the head. I finished w a RR .95. Then on the face I did half w Lord, OC then I tried the metal plate.....tight again BUT it was still uncomfortable....moderate irritation, no cuts. The other side w the RR was effortless.

I just saw the picture now uploaded and it shows armpit shaving.....go figure.....
PXL_20240225_053418160.jpg

I got this from the 3ay; $9 shipped a while back
Used it w a Gillette Platinum for my last shave (head and face). First I put the plastic OC for first pass head: there was too much blade chatter, pulling on the first and last pass in the head. I finished w a RR .95. Then on the face I did half w Lord, OC then I tried the metal plate.....tight again BUT it was still uncomfortable....moderate irritation, no cuts. The other side w the RR was effortless.

I just saw the picture now uploaded and it shows armpit shaving.....go figure.....
View attachment 1802381
Try again the plastic plate with anew blade,good foam and no pressure at all.It is one off my best razors regardless price.

While I'm also a fan of high value razors my experience with the Lord L6 has been different. I've found it to be far too aggressive for my preferences with too much blade exposure. YMMV I guess. L6 is great value if it works for you. Note that others have had issues with the handle threads stripping out - possibly because the head and handle are made from different materials (handle is aluminum).

My three razors are a King C. Gillette, Weishi Long Handle and Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili that uses the classic Gillette Super Adjustable mechanism). Good value razors all acquired for between $8 and $12 each thanks to some sale prices. All work well for me. For a few dollars more these razors also have a much better finish (nicely polished chrome) and have lasted up to 4+ years for me (KCG and Weishi still going strong, Razorock just a few months old).

Why it shaves so well is a good question? But it does..

The problem is definitely with the handle or the threads on the head. I was assembling mine one day and the threads stripped.

This was with applying almost no effort to tighten the head down. This is unfortunate as I very much enjoyed shaving with it and had planned on shaving with it more often...
Have seen others reporting that the threads stripped. Suspect the use of different metals (aluminum handle, different cast alloy for the head) may be a contributing factor.

The Lord L6 is a clone of the Merkur head. It is a great razor that is efficient and easy to use.

I have a Lord L5 from about 10-12 years ago. It’s Lord’s Tech clone. Fantastic razor. I’m told the newer versions are milder. That’s a shame. My L5 can outshave everything I own except the Yuma or SuperAdjustable on a good day.

I’ve used the plastic handled version which was called the 205, I believe. Shaved well but not durable.

I use only Lord family blades which, not surprisingly, work well in Lord razors.

Big fan of Lord. All their products are fantastic and economical. Enjoy.
Are the Lord blades a different size than other brands? Used one of my other blades when I trialed my L6 and found it too aggressive. May try it again with the Lord Platinum blade it came with and see if that makes a difference..

Are the Lord blades a different size than other brands? Used one of my other blades when I trialed my L6 and found it too aggressive. May try it again with the Lord Platinum blade it came with and see if that makes a difference..
I've read there's a blade that's a hair bigger than most razor blades, but it's not a Lord blade.

Lord Platinums are among my favorite blades. In the Lord family, Asco Platinum, Shark Platinum, and Shark Chrome blades also work very well for me. Shark Stainless Steels are not my friends.

That said, my favorite blade still in production is the LOI Titanium. But the Lord Platinum is right behind it. The Lord family of blades (or really, just the ones I listed as liking above) are next, followed by Astra SP.

IME, these blades are all about the same size. I admit I've never measured them, but they don't seem to be noticeably different, which makes it good enough for me.

Hope that helps.

Real good shave. The chatter due to unsupported blade bottom drops it a tier though. Don’t push this one to perfect BBS. DFS+ should be mostly irritation free though.

Top Bottom