What's new

Mild Case of Buyer's Remorse on First Handgun Purchase

I need a second one. Than goodness Liberty safes are priced reasonable.
I remember a time when i thought it was absurd that they sold the vault doors, thinking that these large safes are big enough. After some considerable time passed, working in the firearms industry, and realizing the money some guyes have to put into guns, it all makes sense now.

I have a father and stepfather that each have decent collections as well, and I stand to inherit 95% of it. I made sure to sell them each a decent sized safe when i could get them for them around cost. This way, when i get them, i‘ll only have to pay to have them moved, and will have one for handguns, one for nice long guns and a 3rd for my knock around AR15s and such. My wife is already not pleased with large one we have already, once she realizes the other two will be coming home in a few decades, she’s gonna lose it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am actually in possession of one in .22WMR, it actually belongs to a SIL who resides in Kalifornia, so I'm just the caretaker. HORRIBLE trigger! Shot it a few times, would never carry it.

Nostalgia is powerful, I'd pick one up if I saw it!

High Standard made some great firearms (not that the derringers are), kind of a palm gun, I guess.

AA

I remember a time when i thought it was absurd that they sold the vault doors, thinking that these large safes are big enough. After some considerable time passed, working in the firearms industry, and realizing the money some guyes have to put into guns, it all makes sense now.

My neighbors asked if we were building a bomb shelter. I smiled and said yes.

6000 psi mix. Double 5/8 row of rebar 6" oc.

That should keep the nuke blast outside. 😇

What have I stumbled into here? Haha. I should've known that guns would have just as passionate a fanbase as razors. Forgive me - I'm a newbie!

you should give serious consideration to DA service revolvers for home defense. Ramp sights. No thinking required. Always loaded. Pick it up, point and shoot. No thinking required.

When the RCMP moved from revolvers to semi autos we picked up a group of Smith 64-5 stainless service revolvers with 3" barrels (special order in that length). Many were sold in the shop but there are still a half dozen or so scattered all around the house.

proxy.php

you should give serious consideration to DA service revolvers for home defense. Ramp sights. No thinking required. Always loaded. Pick it up, point and shoot. No thinking required.

When the RCMP moved from revolvers to semi autos we picked up a group of Smith 64-5 stainless service revolvers with 3" barrels (special order in that length). Many were sold in the shop but there are still a half dozen or so scattered all around the house.

proxy.php
I still maintain one of the old SW model 19 4" heavy barrels makes one of best all around handguns to be had. Based what i have seen price-wise on the old revolvers in the last couple years, everyone else is getting onboard as well. used to get them for $210, now they are up around $400. My beloved SW model 19's have skyrocketed as well. I have a love affair with those.

I don't know, but if you want something for home: many people will recommend shotgun...some are inexpensive. Maverick 88 , Remington 870....

Handguns, there are a million different ones in the market.... I suggest reading some about it (remember many people will do only good reviews)

I call that feeling: "moral" hangover.... when you feel bad about spending money in such a thing.

Now: to feel better, overcome you sentiment, and have more firepower.... research and get something else...(9mm, some good quality police trade ins can be found)

This petite lady I know got one of those super light SW 357 revolvers as her 1st gun... hated it... I tried it out and was NOT pleasant to shoot at all. My words were: "let me guess, some "meathead" recommended it.... and that was the case. I shot a few times at a public range and saw a few people come with those short pistol grip shotguns...one or two shots was all they lasted.
I'll second the Maverick 88. Sure it's cheap, but it's also well made & barrels & some parts interchange with the Mosssberg 500, including barrels. I got the combo field & security barrels pkg. Pi$$ed off a buddy when I outshot him and his spendy over/under, busting an afternoons' worth of clays. Of course, I installed a skeet choke I got on E-Bay, which helped ...

Shoot often and enjoy your purchase. But for home protection I would not trade my Remington 870 tactical with a full magazine of 00. Just the sound of racking a round will probably do the trick. Too bad the bad guys won’t hear that since I keep a round in the chamber.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I still maintain one of the old SW model 19 4" heavy barrels makes one of best all around handguns to be had. Based what i have seen price-wise on the old revolvers in the last couple years, everyone else is getting onboard as well. used to get them for $210, now they are up around $400. My beloved SW model 19's have skyrocketed as well. I have a love affair with those.
Loaded but locked in safes around the house are my S&W Brazilian Contract 1917's with about a half dozen or so loaded moon clips for each.

proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yup. The S&W 1917s as well as the Colt 1917s were Military issue (in this case Brazilian M&P) chambered for 45acp and used through both wars.

proxy.php

A delight to shoot, soft and accurate, utterly reliable and reloads a delight. Six inch barrel, pinned & recessed. Originally they were issued with half moon clips and I have a few as well as a few double moon clips but I generally simply use full moon clips.

My BBQ rig is a Single Action though.

proxy.php

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I very very very very very much doubt your assertion that Charter Arms has EVER sold a gun with a pot metal barrel.

Sorry but that set of my BS meter big time.

AbE:

Also my customer service experience with Charter Arms was in converting my revolver to spurless DAO while my customer experience with S&W was because my brand new Military & Police Bodyguard 380 would not hold open on an empty magazine.

+1 I don't currently own a Taurus or Charter Arms. But I have owned both before. They were quality firearms at reasonable prices. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, Taurus was a Brazilian firearms manufacturing company, who purchased and took over, Smith & Wesson's facility in Brazil after the 1968 Importation Law went into effect here in the U.S.

Back then, Taurus had a horrible reputation for quality control and poor manufacturing. However, Taurus has since moved their production for U.S firearms to manufacturing facilities here in the U.S. And they produce quality, effective and reliable firearms.

But there are still people, who will push the wrong narrative, about the lack of quality of Taurus firearms, just because of that bad reputation from 40 years ago. In fact, Taurus has so much confidence in their newer manufacturing facility that is IN the U.S. and is employed by AMERICANS, in AMERICA, they actually put, a written Lifetime Manufacturers Warranty in each box of the firearms they sell.

Not a limited warranty that covers only manufacturers defects like Glock, Sig, Ruger, HK and S&W, but a Lifetime Warranty against breaking the gun. Go break a modern Taurus even without a defect; and Taurus will fix or replace that firearm as long as you didn't purposely abuse it.

Lesson: Firearms Manufacturers who put out junk, don't back their product with Lifetime Warranties.

Taurus makes budget firearms. Their revolvers triggers and actions are not as smooth as S&W's and Ruger's. Their semi's are not as accurate as Glock's and HK's. Their finishes, are not as nice as Sig Arms and others. But they don't use pot metal for their barrels and neither does Charter Arms.

But both of these companies, make reasonably priced and reliable firearms. Taurus's new G2C has had nothing but rave reviews since it's production. So has Charter Arms Bulldog. Now go find me a couple of bad reviews on them, and I'll respond with the same about Glock, S&W, Sig, Ruger, HK and any other firearm you can mention.

But let's not assassinate the character of quality, budget priced firearms for those who might not be able to afford something else, just because of information you had on that company 40 years ago and can't let go of it.

Show me a modern junk Taurus or Charter arms you own now, and I'll show you, a junk one of whatever firearm you replaced that Taurus or Charter Arms with. Sig has had alot of QC problems as of late. Guess what? They have worked tirelessly to fix the problems and satisfy their customers.

Glock had all kinds of problems when they first introduced their Gen4's. They also rushed the Glock 43 out and had to go back to the drawing board for a minute to fix it. That's all in the past now, and no one keeps that history against them.

Why keep ancient history against companies like Taurus and Charter Arms, when they have come from night to day in the kind of modern firearms they produce now?

Last edited:
+1 I don't currently own a Taurus or Charter Arms. But I have owned both before. They were quality firearms at reasonable prices. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, Taurus was a Brazilian firearms manufacturing company, who purchased and took over, Smith & Wesson's facility in Brazil after the 1968 Importation Law went into effect here in the U.S.

Back then, Taurus had a horrible reputation for quality control and poor manufacturing. However, Taurus has since moved their production for U.S firearms to manufacturing facilities here in the U.S. And they produce quality, effective and reliable firearms.

But there are still people, who will push the wrong narrative, about the lack of quality of Taurus firearms, just because of that bad reputation from 40 years ago. In fact, Taurus has so much confidence in their newer manufacturing facility that is IN the U.S. and is employed by AMERICANS, in AMERICA, they actually put, a written Lifetime Manufacturers Warranty in each box of the firearms they sell.

Not a limited warranty that covers only manufacturers defects like Glock, Sig, Ruger, HK and S&W, but a Lifetime Warranty against breaking the gun. Go break a modern Taurus even without a defect; and Taurus will fix or replace that firearm as long as you didn't purposely abuse it.

Lesson: Firearms Manufacturers who put out junk, don't back their product with Lifetime Warranties.

Taurus makes budget firearms. Their revolvers triggers and actions are not as smooth as S&W's and Ruger's. Their semi's are not as accurate as Glock's and HK's. Their finishes, are not as nice as Sig Arms and others. But they don't use pot metal for their barrels and neither does Charter Arms.

But both of these companies, make reasonably priced and reliable firearms. Taurus's new G2C has had nothing but rave reviews since it's production. So has Charter Arms Bulldog. Now go find me a couple of bad reviews on them, and I'll respond with the same about Glock, S&W, Sig, Ruger, HK and any other firearm you can mention.

But let's not assassinate the character of quality, budget priced firearms for those who might not be able to afford something else, just because of information you had on that company 40 years ago and can't let go of it.

Show me a modern junk Taurus or Charter arms you own now, and I'll show you, a junk one of whatever firearm you replaced that Taurus or Charter Arms with. Sig has had alot of QC problems as of late. Guess what? They have worked tirelessly to fix the problems and satisfy their customers.

Glock had all kinds of problems when they first introduced their Gen4's. They also rushed the Glock 43 out and had to go back to the drawing board for a minute to fix it. That's all in the past now, and no one keeps that history against them.

Why keep ancient history against companies like Taurus and Charter Arms, when they have come from night to day in the kind of modern firearms they produce now?

Coming from someone who is picking up a brand new G2C on Monday, thank you for this post.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Hypothetical: Even if there were a few kinks that need to be worked out with customer service, which I doubt. It will still be, the best $200 you ever spent. :)
I also have a couple Taurus firearms, one a semi and one a revolver. They are not quite up to the fit and finish of Smiths but I'd say about a nice as Colt made (as opposed to Colt Branded) firearms. The biggest issue I've had with my Taurus Annoying Cricket Poly-22 is a trigger retaining pin that slides when shooting. It's never come out and easy to push back in place and not a big enough issue to send it back.

The Annoying Cricket:
proxy.php

and the Poly Magnum:
proxy.php

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I also have a couple Taurus firearms, one a semi and one a revolver. They are not quite up to the fit and finish of Smiths but I'd say about a nice as Colt made (as opposed to Colt Branded) firearms. The biggest issue I've had with my Taurus Annoying Cricket Poly-22 is a trigger retaining pin that slides when shooting. It's never come out and easy to push back in place and not a big enough issue to send it back.

The Annoying Cricket:
proxy.php

and the Poly Magnum:
proxy.php

Had a dam cricket get into my house last week. When we turned out the lights to go to bed, that cricket would sound off! When I got up to find that dam cricket, it would get quiet every time I got close and then I couldn't locate it to stomp it's guts out!

So Annoying! :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Didn't Taurus purchase Beretta's old machinery when they started upgrading their quality years ago? I forget.

This came with a nifty hard plastic case.

1593306766150.png

Unlike the thin crappy case the original Combat Tupperware came in. :biggrin1:

1593306884188.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom