What's new

Battle of the “Pocket Gun”

I think comparing the Glock 42 (G42) in .380 ACP and the S&W 442 in .38 Special is particularly relevant because they are not only identical in size and weight, the ammo they utilize performs practically identically as well. I have both of these handguns, albeit the 442 is relatively new to me compared to my G42. Here’s my take on these weapons.

9FC9686B-6886-48D6-8E1D-948647CA5533.jpeg

Primary vs Backup: There‘s a great deal of talk that the average shooting lasts one to three rounds, and that something like 99% of all shootings are negated by the mere drawing of a weapon. That might be all well and good, but generally speaking, we carry handguns as insurance policies. I don’t know about you, but I prefer full coverage when I insure, hence in a handgun it stands to reason that I’d prefer greater ammo capacity and faster reloads. The G42 clearly wins.

But neither of these guns, the G42 with 6+1 rounds, or the 442 with its 5, are what I’d call ideal primary guns. What they are is light and convenient! And that’s why they are sometimes all we have, especially in summer when clothing gets light. And in the summer, I’d say the G42 has the upper hand. Sure superhero's can load and shoot a revolver as fast as a semi, but for the rest of us, I’d say the G42 is a clear winner when it comes to getting rounds on target as fast as possible.

Of course it only takes one and when it comes to winter, being able to just throw the 442 in your pocket and fire though it, well now that’s a distinct advantage! If I could only have one... my Glock would get the call. Marginally. 7 really does seem like a ton more than 5 when you’re unloading quickly into a target.

Convenience: So like I alluded to before, these are guns you carry because everything else is too big. Or because you are recoil sensitive. Many argue saying guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, but what a load. I’m not a cop or a mall ninja. I carry to protect me and mine. I carry 7 days a week, 365. I prefer small and light. I can and have packed a G26 for years, but it was never as convenient or nearly as comfortable as either of these guns. To the point of detriment. But this is really where the 442 shines!

The 442 is crazy convenient. I mean only one of these handguns is a real pocket gun in my opinion, and that’s the 442. Even with an Apex Tactical aftermarket trigger, there is no way the 442 is going to go off unless you’re actively pulling on the trigger. You can literally throw the gun in your pocket and go (not that I’m advocating it). No way you can do that without a holster if you have one in the chamber with the G42.

The ability to be able to put the gun in your hoodie’s pocket sans holster making it a one handed affaire just can’t be understated! When it comes to convenient, my vote goes hands down to the S&W 442.

B45374F6-96D7-40F1-90B3-B8E48D949584.jpeg

Only one of these handguns is “really“ a true pocket gun.

Which leads me to my final type of comparison between these two handguns - Piece of Mind. Or as some call it Reliability. I absolutely love my G42. I have a 43 as well. I have a lot of pistols. I think they are a better “fighting gun“ than revolvers, but if I was burying a million bucks and going to throw a handgun on top for later, it be the 442, not the Glock. I have no proof other than antidotal stories, but I’d be questioning if the mags would still push up the rounds after a decade of being loaded. Though I probably wouldn’t have to.

Moreover, I’ve had to change up all the springs in my G42. I shot the heck out of it, so thats what happens. It’ll happen eventually with the 442 too I’m guessing. But what sucks is, my carry ammo didn't feed reliably in the G42 afterword, and I had to find a new ammo... and now sit on hundreds in ammo I don’t know what to do with. That’ll never happen with a revolver.

Of course my G42 doesn’t shoot snake shot like my 442 does, and being I like shooting snake shot... so there is that too I guess.

8FE34F7D-97C9-4B83-A121-6284157AB98E.jpeg

Conclusion: It’s really hard to compare two guns that are so closely “related.” I find the 442 way more sexy, but function is, as function does, and that makes the 42 a pretty awesome gun too. If I could only have one, I think I’d pick the G42. But as a hip or shoulder holstered gun. If I had to have a pocket gun - the 442 no question.

I would not recommend this one as it is persnickety about the ammo it will eat but.....1) It IS small. 2) It is 380. 3) It can be safely carried with a round in the chamber (DAO). It has been with me 24/7/365 for over 20 years and only seen the light of day at the range and cleaning.

Next to my pervious carry (.25 apc) going back more decades which I would NEVER carry chambered.

proxy.php

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
One seldom mentioned advantage of revolvers is that if someone has you in a bear hug, and your gun is jammed into them, the revolver will still fire. If the slide is back just a little bit, you’re out of battery, and it isn’t going to fire.

One seldom mentioned advantage of revolvers is that if someone has you in a bear hug, and your gun is jammed into them, the revolver will still fire. If the slide is back just a little bit, you’re out of battery, and it isn’t going to fire.
It’s funny, I have a buddy who has a collection of semis second to none. When I pointed that out to him, he seemed truly gobsmacked. It wasn’t long before he got a Kimber 6 gun. It’s all he carries now. Beautiful revolver.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Amen brother @Earcutter . My Ruger LCR .357 is ALWAYS with me, cuz I'm too lazy for anything else, and it can be hidden just about anywhere on my body. 5 shots ain't much, but it's better on me than in me, ha.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I would not recommend this one as it is persnickety about the ammo it will eat but.....1) It IS small. 2) It is 380. 3) It can be safely carried with a round in the chamber (DAO). It has been with me 24/7/365 for over 20 years and only seen the light of day at the range and cleaning.

Next to my pervious carry (.25 apc) going back more decades which I would NEVER carry chambered.

proxy.php

proxy.php
I'm curious why you would not carry the Brauer Bros chambered? I would carry my Baby Browning chambered.

I have a S&W 29-3 ,44mag that failed to fire after less than 2 boxes of ammo. The gun was repaired, but it still failed to fire once since then. I’m not exactly sold on the infallibly of wheel guns. I don’t discount them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think comparing the Glock 42 (G42) in .380 ACP and the S&W 442 in .38 Special is particularly relevant because they are not only identical in size and weight, the ammo they utilize performs practically identically as well. I have both of these handguns, albeit the 442 is relatively new to me compared to my G42. Here’s my take on these weapons.

View attachment 1072180

Primary vs Backup: There‘s a great deal of talk that the average shooting lasts one to three rounds, and that something like 99% of all shootings are negated by the mere drawing of a weapon. That might be all well and good, but generally speaking, we carry handguns as insurance policies. I don’t know about you, but I prefer full coverage when I insure, hence in a handgun it stands to reason that I’d prefer greater ammo capacity and faster reloads. The G42 clearly wins.

But neither of these guns, the G42 with 6+1 rounds, or the 442 with its 5, are what I’d call ideal primary guns. What they are is light and convenient! And that’s why they are sometimes all we have, especially in summer when clothing gets light. And in the summer, I’d say the G42 has the upper hand. Sure superhero's can load and shoot a revolver as fast as a semi, but for the rest of us, I’d say the G42 is a clear winner when it comes to getting rounds on target as fast as possible.

Of course it only takes one and when it comes to winter, being able to just throw the 442 in your pocket and fire though it, well now that’s a distinct advantage! If I could only have one... my Glock would get the call. Marginally. 7 really does seem like a ton more than 5 when you’re unloading quickly into a target.

Convenience: So like I alluded to before, these are guns you carry because everything else is too big. Or because you are recoil sensitive. Many argue saying guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, but what a load. I’m not a cop or a mall ninja. I carry to protect me and mine. I carry 7 days a week, 365. I prefer small and light. I can and have packed a G26 for years, but it was never as convenient or nearly as comfortable as either of these guns. To the point of detriment. But this is really where the 442 shines!

The 442 is crazy convenient. I mean only one of these handguns is a real pocket gun in my opinion, and that’s the 442. Even with an Apex Tactical aftermarket trigger, there is no way the 442 is going to go off unless you’re actively pulling on the trigger. You can literally throw the gun in your pocket and go (not that I’m advocating it). No way you can do that without a holster if you have one in the chamber with the G42.

The ability to be able to put the gun in your hoodie’s pocket sans holster making it a one handed affaire just can’t be understated! When it comes to convenient, my vote goes hands down to the S&W 442.

View attachment 1072182
Only one of these handguns is “really“ a true pocket gun.

Which leads me to my final type of comparison between these two handguns - Piece of Mind. Or as some call it Reliability. I absolutely love my G42. I have a 43 as well. I have a lot of pistols. I think they are a better “fighting gun“ than revolvers, but if I was burying a million bucks and going to throw a handgun on top for later, it be the 442, not the Glock. I have no proof other than antidotal stories, but I’d be questioning if the mags would still push up the rounds after a decade of being loaded. Though I probably wouldn’t have to.

Moreover, I’ve had to change up all the springs in my G42. I shot the heck out of it, so thats what happens. It’ll happen eventually with the 442 too I’m guessing. But what sucks is, my carry ammo didn't feed reliably in the G42 afterword, and I had to find a new ammo... and now sit on hundreds in ammo I don’t know what to do with. That’ll never happen with a revolver.

Of course my G42 doesn’t shoot snake shot like my 442 does, and being I like shooting snake shot... so there is that too I guess.

View attachment 1072181

Conclusion: It’s really hard to compare two guns that are so closely “related.” I find the 442 way more sexy, but function is, as function does, and that makes the 42 a pretty awesome gun too. If I could only have one, I think I’d pick the G42. But as a hip or shoulder holstered gun. If I had to have a pocket gun - the 442 no question.

This was a great read either way. Makes me want both of them. :) Great review @Earcutter.

I'm curious why you would not carry the Brauer Bros chambered? I would carry my Baby Browning chambered.

Sear gun. Bad jolt and the striker can fall. Once chambered the striker is on the sear (single action). Never been fond of striker/sear autos. You can discharge a Luger even with the cannon and frame separated.

Seecamp is a DA hammer. Nothing to fall, even a drop and it is safe. Trigger must be pulled and held.

Great write up

My 2 favorite carry guns from my collection are the Glock 42 and my Taurus mod 85 ultra light.

I go back and forth on which one I like the best and came to the same conclusions as you have about their roles in concealed carry.

By the way if forced to keep only 1. It would have been my G42 as well. But I sure would miss my model 85ul.

On occasion I have carried them both. Model 85 in front right pants pocket and G42 at 1 o'clock or in my jacket pocket.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Sear gun. Bad jolt and the striker can fall. Once chambered the striker is on the sear (single action). Never been fond of striker/sear autos. You can discharge a Luger even with the cannon and frame separated.

Seecamp is a DA hammer. Nothing to fall, even a drop and it is safe. Trigger must be pulled and held.
Remember it is the seer that keeps a hammer from falling. Now DAO might be safer but DA/SA is the same as seer striker when in SA mode.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Remember it is the seer that keeps a hammer from falling. Now DAO might be safer but DA/SA is the same as seer striker when in SA mode.

And most striker falling blocks will not allow a discharge from a striker pin unless the trigger is pulled to the rear also.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I gotta admit that I do like pocket pistols but also find the Smith J frames pretty close to being too big.

I gotta admit that I do like pocket pistols but also find the Smith J frames pretty close to being too big.
That is why I bought a LCP II. Mostly for hot summer days. It seems like at 90degrees, almost anything is too big for my comfort. I think the 442 is lighter than my 642 though. I’ll have to look into one.

Just sold my LCP II. A teeny .380 simply does not instill a lot of confidence in me.
Replaced it with a Beretta Nano. Yes...somewhat larger. Carries 6-8 +1 9mm rounds. Vastly underrated pistol.
Been toting the S&W 442 around for over a decade. Never, ever a problem or issue.
All boils down to the whole personal preference thing really.
136C310A-009D-44B3-BF33-ABFD76485E2C.jpeg
4267BAC5-58AD-4FDF-B6EA-1733C95317C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Just sold my LCP II. A teeny .380 simply does not instill a lot of confidence in me.
Replaced it with a Beretta Nano. Yes...somewhat larger. Carries 6-8 +1 9mm rounds. Vastly underrated pistol.
Been toting the S&W 442 around for over a decade. Never, ever a problem or issue.
All boils down to the whole personal preference thing really.
View attachment 1072393View attachment 1072398
I loved everything about my Beretta Nano except the fact that it didn’t work. I’d love to get another one but I’m a little shellshocked. I lost a bit of money on that gun.

I lost a LOT on the first Nano I owned..it got stolen in a car burglary in Atlanta.
Never had any problems with it for the years I owned it though.

Top Bottom