What's new

Mild Case of Buyer's Remorse on First Handgun Purchase

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Had a dam cricket get into my house last week. When we turned out the lights to go to bed, that cricket would sound off! When I got up to find that dam cricket, it would get quiet every time I got close and then I couldn't locate it to stomp it's guts out!

So Annoying! :)

Don't squish that widdle thing! Crickets are good luck.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Didn't Taurus purchase Beretta's old machinery when they started upgrading their quality years ago? I forget.

This came with a nifty hard plastic case.

View attachment 1118713

Unlike the thin crappy case the original Combat Tupperware came in. :biggrin1:

View attachment 1118715

Yes sir, Taurus bought S&W and a Beretta facility in Brazil. I’m not a revolver guy, but I really like the looks of that Charter Arms pistol you have.

Mail day! Family portrait with the Bond Arms and the new guy. I'm practicing stripping and reassembling it right now.
20200630_133410.jpg

I bought a Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV a few weeks ago for home defense with all of the recent unrest in the world. I just figured it was time. I love the gun, but I have to admit in retrospect that I was probably more concerned with aesthetics than I should have been. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun. But it's also a single action two shot pistol. I am now regretting that I didn't buy something semi automatic with a larger capacity. I know that I'm still in better shape now than when I didn't own a gun at all, but if I had it to do over again I don't think the Bond Arms pistol would be my first gun. Do any of you guys use it or something similar as your primary home defense firearm?
Certainly not! That said, let the man who bought the "right" gun first; step forward. It took me many firearms to figure out what is practical. So many opinions, so many of them valid.

A man I worked with bought the "Judge," which is (if memory serves) a 410 shotgun and 45 Long Colt (or just a 45) in a revolver package. I remember thinking that was just plain silly. But if it works for you, it's like much anything else I guess.

A great indoor self-defense arm is the 12 ga. scattergun with 00 buckshot. Then there's the 45 ACP. These are MY favorites, and they're better than yours unless you agree with me. (Satire).

There are arguments of shrapnel and rounds going through walls, but I'm not thinking about that at the moment. I'm not going to give it any forethought either.

Over time, you will find your perfect defense arms. Over years I have found mine. I always had the caliber, but never had the gun. Now I do.

It will take time, and trial and error, though.

I bought a Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV a few weeks ago for home defense with all of the recent unrest in the world. I just figured it was time. I love the gun, but I have to admit in retrospect that I was probably more concerned with aesthetics than I should have been. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun. But it's also a single action two shot pistol. I am now regretting that I didn't buy something semi automatic with a larger capacity. I know that I'm still in better shape now than when I didn't own a gun at all, but if I had it to do over again I don't think the Bond Arms pistol would be my first gun. Do any of you guys use it or something similar as your primary home defense firearm?
MementoMori,

Many of us have experienced “buyer’s remorse” after making a first gun purchase and discovering we picked the wrong tool for the job. Any gun, is better than “no gun”. But just like hammers, you don’t frame with a roofing hammer or sledge hammer.

The very concept of defending oneself should never depend upon “pretty” or any aesthetic perception. It’s a tool. It should do what you need the tool to do. Two shots, well-placed, are better than 20 misses. But you have to select the “handgun tool” based upon your hand size, your ability to manipulate the tool safely, and use it effectively.

My respect for our law enforcement community is unquestioned after 26 years of selling guns to cops and training cops to shoot well, but some of the worst shooters I’ve encountered are cops. The only thing worse in the self-defense pistol training market is those people who bought a gun because some cop told them it was the best, then they believe they are good, safe, proficient shooters, because of their advised “choice”. When in reality, they aren’t. I’ve written several articles over this dilemma. I teach this almost everyday for one of the largest gun manufacturers in the U.S.

In reality, this is fairly simple. You’ve realized a need. Now go to your local gun store and pick up every handgun, like trying on shoes. Some fit, some don’t. Those that seem to fit, see if you can manipulate them to load and make ready, unload and make safe. If you can’t, place them back in the case and take those you can to the range. See which one or one’s you shoot well. If you do this right, the gun will pick you, not the other way around. Now you have a handgun that fits “you”, and all you need to do is learn how to shoot it well, ……..under stress.

And the great thing about America is you aren’t limited to just one tool!

Curly

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Police cadets are constantly told after their firearms training, “this is the “basic” academy. You have not arrived.” It is up to them now, to seek out and develop and build on, the “basic” foundation in which we have laid. Other then joining SWAT or getting some active shooter training, less than 5% seek out any other continuing or advanced training with firearms. Whether it’s interdepartmental training or on their own dime.

But they will show up every year for their mandatory qualifications.

Why keep ancient history against companies like Taurus and Charter Arms, when they have come from night to day in the kind of modern firearms they produce now

I was booted from a FB group for a positive review of the Taurus. I have both a Taurus G2 and a S&W M&P Shield. I prefer to shoot the Taurus. I also just bought a Bond Arms derringer (45Colt/410), but have not made it to the range to shoot it yet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Handled a Bond 9mm today and it felt great in hand - awkward looking but good ergos. Bet they shoot well.

However. Too heavy, IMO.

AA

My main issue with derringers has always been the hammer height. Lower it by 1/8", and put good, deep, 20 lpi serrations on it and it is much easier to work. If you have a belt holster & carry where you think you may need it, cocked & locked is an option.

Police cadets are constantly told after their firearms training, “this is the “basic” academy. You have not arrived.” It is up to them now, to seek out and develop and build on, the “basic” foundation in which we have laid. Other then joining SWAT or getting some active shooter training, less than 5% seek out any other continuing or advanced training with firearms. Whether it’s interdepartmental training or on their own dime.

But they will show up every year for their mandatory qualifications.
You are correct, OkieStubble! And we both know one of the first line items to go in the department budget is: Training.

I regularly shoot with LE/Mil/Gov folks who clean my clock. They are a small percentage amongst our first responders. But as you said, it’s because they train. Which was hopefully my final point on his next purchase. Too many good folks believe they are good firearms handlers and shooters, when in fact: they aren’t. And showing up once a year, a month, or a week on a flat range and slinging rounds downrange flat-footed isn’t training. Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. I’ve had shooters from both realms completely derail their “I’m a good/great shooter” mindset by merely adding a timer to the drill.

Just wanted to “hammer home” the importance of getting the proper tool, then training …..under stress. The great thing about the OP’s post is he’s figuring out there may be better tools for him. And what a great forum here at B&B to discuss such things! Lots of wise folks here!

Curly

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
You are correct, OkieStubble! And we both know one of the first line items to go in the department budget is: Training.

I regularly shoot with LE/Mil/Gov folks who clean my clock. They are a small percentage amongst our first responders. But as you said, it’s because they train. Which was hopefully my final point on his next purchase. Too many good folks believe they are good firearms handlers and shooters, when in fact: they aren’t. And showing up once a year, a month, or a week on a flat range and slinging rounds downrange flat-footed isn’t training. Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. I’ve had shooters from both realms completely derail their “I’m a good/great shooter” mindset by merely adding a timer to the drill.

Just wanted to “hammer home” the importance of getting the proper tool, then training …..under stress. The great thing about the OP’s post is he’s figuring out there may be better tools for him. And what a great forum here at B&B to discuss such things! Lots of wise folks here!

Curly
Not sure about wise.

Just made more mistakes then most others.

Thanks guys. And no, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Hoping to very soon but I just never seem to have a free minute.

It's a 45LC/.410 caliber pistol, so I bought some Sig Sauer 45LC hollow points, some Winchester PDX1 Defender .410 shells, and some Hornady .410 Triple Defense shells. I guess when I get to the range I'll just shoot half of each box. It costs enough that I don't want to use all of it at a range.

I don't know about a .410 but I know all the pdx1 defender rounds I've used it wouldn't take but 1 or 2 shots to put a problem down. A .45 LC will get the job done too.

Wise decision. Something more practical, would be better for home defense. S&W M&P's along with their Shield models make great home defense and for carry at very reasonable prices. My older brother who has always been a revolver guy has recently expressed interest in getting his first semi.

He is very tight with his money. He can pinch a penny so hard it will actually disappear. I recently found him a barely used, Taurus G2C 9mm for $150. It's considered a bargain gun, but it has been very reliable and easy to carry for him so far.
Inexpensive, reliable, decent cartridge... What's not to like? Practice, practice, practice.

Works for me!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The Smith & Wesson M&P models are what I'm looking at now to correct my mistake. I'm definitely keeping the Bond Arms, but I don't intend for it to retain its status as the main home defense gun in my house.
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P Bodyguard .380 that is my daily carry. Not real expensive but well made and works. I did not get the laser sight and mine is the one with no manual safety. Great little platform but you need to practice a bunch to get proficient with such a small gun Luckily shooting is fun!
Always remember, even is an otherwise completely unfortunate but legal shoot, you are going to lose that weapon for months to possibly years or forever. Expensive tactical B. S. add ons will also be lost.

If you have not fired it yet I would see what the shop will do for you, give them a chance and you might be surprised!

EDIT: I see I am late to the party, stay safe and have fun!

Last edited:
My first and only carry was a Ruger LCR in 38 special. Compact, light (11 ozs), and great DA trigger. I like the reliability of a wheel gun. Now it sits in my nightstand from where, hopefully, it will never have to be used.

Top Bottom