What's new

Your favorite production handgun and why…

Yes sir. There is good reason why they still demand top dollar, as it’s difficult to find even a shooter grade for under $3k. Fitted by hand and finished in a stunning royal blue or nickel. The internals are like a Swiss watch compared to other revolvers and in the hands of a master gunsmith, the trigger is dangerously smooth and effortless.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And I'm sure they work down to 300m depth.

Champion,

Stainless Pythons came out in 1982. The Elites came out from 1997 to 1999 and again 2002 to 2006.
Maybe not obvious since I failed to mention it, but I am talking about the Pythons of the 70's and before. The later ones, though I'm sure they're fine handguns, don't have that buttery action. One of the worst decisions of my life selling my 6" blued ca. 1968 in .357/38 special. That gun was an absolute cherry.

Maybe not obvious since I failed to mention it, but I am talking about the Pythons of the 70's and before. The later ones, though I'm sure they're fine handguns, don't have that buttery action. One of the worst decisions of my life selling my 6" blued ca. 1968 in .357/38 special. That gun was an absolute cherry.
You and me both, I also forget about the later stainless models, but they are very nice as well. I have a 2.5” ‘68 that is a project gun, everything is done, just a nickel refinish from Fords. Sorry to hear about yours, those are amazing at 6”

Bren Ten and AMt Longslide as I kid I loved the looks of these.......(still do)
Bren Ten.jpg

AMT.jpg

Favorite production handgun

S&W Model 29 7 1/2". Mine dates from early 60s, sweet trigger, easy to shoot. New "Classics" are OK, but don't have the same trigger. Bit too much for daily carry, but has harvested a couple deer.

Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag, 4 5/8", is my usual woods gun, or sometimes a GP100 6".

Favorite about town is a 1911, usually the Kimber I carried in the Sheriff's Dept. Deeper concealment is a Hellcat, though not a favorite of mine.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today's favorite production handgun is a striker fired pistol with a staggered stack high capacity magazine. It does suffer a polymer deficiency but still seems to function. It incorporates the latest stealth sights as well as the delayed blowback rotating fixed barrel system. The FCU is modular and can be removed easily. The magazine release is ambi-fingered and located at the lower front edge of the grip. It was the runner up design during the Army's handgun trials and the most reliable initially.

Best production handgun? My opinion:

Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super.

Compact and light enough for EDC. 38 Super packs plenty of punch to be a primary handgun for self-defense. 10+1 capacity. Extremely accurate. Great night sights. The lightweight bobtail frame is super comfortable and prints like an Officer's model. Excellent 1911 trigger.

I have one that is my EDC gun and I also drop a 9mm barrel in and shoot it in IDPA ESP division. Being able to switch it to 9mm is another aspect of its versatility.

I also have a 6" 686-7 with an awesome trigger job. It's nice, but no Guardian.

I also have a Canik Rival-S, which I shoot in USPSA Carry Optics. It is a GREAT shooter! I'd say it shoots as well or better than the Guardian (as I have it setup, anyway). But, it's too bulky and heavy for concealed carry, so I think the Guardian still beats it as best production handgun. Plus, the Guardian packs 38 Super punch, which the Canik doesn't/can't.

I have others as well, but those are the top tier of my personal production stuff.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Best production handgun? My opinion:

Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super.

Compact and light enough for EDC. 38 Super packs plenty of punch to be a primary handgun for self-defense. 10+1 capacity. Extremely accurate. Great night sights. The lightweight bobtail frame is super comfortable and prints like an Officer's model. Excellent 1911 trigger.

I have one that is my EDC gun and I also drop a 9mm barrel in and shoot it in IDPA ESP division. Being able to switch it to 9mm is another aspect of its versatility.

I also have a 6" 686-7 with an awesome trigger job. It's nice, but no Guardian.

I also have a Canik Rival-S, which I shoot in USPSA Carry Optics. It is a GREAT shooter! I'd say it shoots as well or better than the Guardian (as I have it setup, anyway). But, it's too bulky and heavy for concealed carry, so I think the Guardian still beats it as best production handgun. Plus, the Guardian packs 38 Super punch, which the Canik doesn't/can't.

I have others as well, but those are the top tier of my personal production stuff.

The Canik stock trigger blows my mind it’s so good.

I don't have one favorite...that's why I won several! Single action, DA/SA, striker fire, revolvers, polymer frames, metal frames, single stacks, double stacks, etc. They're all favorites.

Top Bottom