What's new

Leap Year Sabbatical

I still haven't decided which strategy to use.
  1. Desert island (A): Buy everything for 10 years. That would cost about $32 for soap and blades.
  2. Desert island (B): Same as above but buy an extra razor. Cost about $70.
  3. Buy upon need: Minimalist set. Cost - nothing for a year, then about $4 a year for soap. No new blades needed.
In my case, SOTD could be the shave of the decade. I think a designated picture thread would end up mixed with posts, and we'd have two threads. I'd prefer to keep one.
Or one could pre declare the items that they will or may need for the sabbatical, and then purchase them at the time of need. Of coarse this may change the desert island mentality, but lets face it, we're not on a desert island. The declaration could be in the starting photos.

Full Disclosure; I'm not joining the sabbatical, so take my suggestions as such. I do find the thoughts about such long sabbaticals interesting and I applaud all who participate in whatever form they choose.

20191205_201118_HDR.jpg

This is everything I'm going to 3017 for the sabbatical. The soap stack on the left are practically full tubs. The stack on the right are less than 1/2 full.

Not pictured is a 1/4 full bottle of nivea cooling balm and the 301 blades I have in a box.

I chose to only post items that can be depleted.

I've decided, I think.

I'm going to take the desert island approach. My stock will be small enough that there will be a possibility of failure for the 10-year Sabbatical. I'll start with 2 razors, 73 blades, one brush, 15 pucks of Williams, and 3 bottles of Mennen Skin Bracer. I'll buy 12 pucks of Williams during the first week in 2020.

Pictures will come after the WMS arrives.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I’m not buying anything for either sabbatical. I use 1 straight razor and 1 backup, I have enough Tabac to get me through, and I have a Wee Scot and a Simpson Special.
Good to go
marty

Here’s my starting gear. Soap and aftershave for years. 4 years at least off blades. I didn’t included the razors that will be leaving soon. I should get easily through the leap year without needing anything.

proxy.php
proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I saw the first pic and thought “That’s enough soap for 4 years?! Then i saw the second one and said, “Yes it is!” 😂 What razors are you using? I think i spot a Merkur 34c?

I've decided, I think.

I'm going to take the desert island approach. My stock will be small enough that there will be a possibility of failure for the 10-year Sabbatical. I'll start with 2 razors, 73 blades, one brush, 15 pucks of Williams, and 3 bottles of Mennen Skin Bracer. I'll buy 12 pucks of Williams during the first week in 2020.

Pictures will come after the WMS arrives.

@GaryTha have you always used Williams exclusively? Just finished a puck before this thread started and while i didn’t find it as difficult to use as many have here, it wasn’t my favorite. I did notice that Williams forces you to be consistent with building a lather as too much water or too little tended to give me the dreaded disappearing lather.

@GaryTha have you always used Williams exclusively? Just finished a puck before this thread started and while i didn’t find it as difficult to use as many have here, it wasn’t my favorite. I did notice that Williams forces you to be consistent with building a lather as too much water or too little tended to give me the dreaded disappearing lather.

I started using Williams exclusively when I started the Cal Ripkin WMS Challenge on 3/24/19. That's 2,632 shaves in a row with Williams. The soap does demand some lather building skills.

1575643403929.png

With all due respect, I totally disagree with the above statement and that is my opinion. :)
I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. And that's my opinion :)
I consider myself a minimalist but I do not begrudge you infidels a little treewhaling.

I consider myself a minimalist but I do not begrudge you infidels a little treewhaling.
An infidel I may be, but what the heck is treewhaling?

An infidel I may be, but what the heck is treewhaling?
see:

also read the following 20 or so posts and look for pictures, or follow this link:

There is no such thing as a little treewhaling. In the same way, there is no such thing as a traditional shaver with lots of stuff. There wasn't room by the sink to store it.

I saw the first pic and thought “That’s enough soap for 4 years?! Then i saw the second one and said, “Yes it is!” [emoji23] What razors are you using? I think i spot a Merkur 34c?

I have a 37c as my daily driver. There is also a 23c. I’m adding a Parker semi though and letting a WCS straight bar go and possibly the 23c.

The tubs in the cabinet represent 3 lbs. of soap not counting to 200g MDC on thh HT e top right and 2 Prorasos. The red one on the counter has a stick of Arko pressed in it. The estimation is based on my average soap use of 1-1.5g per shave.

see:

also read the following 20 or so posts and look for pictures, or follow this link:

Atlantic59, thank you, that helps a lot. Cheers!

I have a 37c as my daily driver. There is also a 23c. I’m adding a Parker semi though and letting a WCS straight bar go and possibly the 23c.

The tubs in the cabinet represent 3 lbs. of soap not counting to 200g MDC on thh HT e top right and 2 Prorasos. The red one on the counter has a stick of Arko pressed in it. The estimation is based on my average soap use of 1-1.5g per shave.

Have to say of all the soaps i’ve tried i love arko the most. Not for the scent but the performance is legendary. I’m using Haslinger now which would be my pick for favorite soap but for some reason, all vegetal soaps cause a slight burning sensation on my face. It’s the weirdest thing. Also on an unrelated note i was thinking about what would make me tap out of the sabbatical and the only thing i can say for sure is if Homelike shaving re-releases the sandblasted plates. I really would love to get the two i’m missing. Outside of that, i’m in this one for the long haul!

Top Bottom