What's new

Leap Year Sabbatical

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Sometimes I cuss Williams because I get the dissapating lather, but damn if every single time it doesn't deliver a great shave for me. I've used many soaps, some high $$ artisan and most are no slicker than Williams. They might have other qualities that shine above Williams. I rate slickness as my first and most important quality of a soap. "face feel" is a nice to have. If your soap is drying - well, that's what balm is for. Cushion? I don't need no stinking cushion. I do a clean up pass with witch hazel as my lubricant, so that should give you some idea of the value I place on cushion. I do like a white lather that hangs together enough to cover my face and easily let me know where I've shaved and haven't.

Where I live, Williams is .99 a puck.

@Macduff, I have the same issue with “veggie” soaps myself. I ended up with 2 vegan formulas of the TASS soaps that my cabinet is full of and both ended up as shower soaps as my face just did not like them.

When my current stock is depleted, Williams and Arko are probably all that will be found in my den. I just can’t beat the performance and the price.

Right now, Williams, Arko and Col. Conk are my 3 day work weekends rotation soaps. I shaved with Arko Saturday morning.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

You know... I think this might be a fun pursuit. I'm not sure I have enough soap/aftershave for 4 years though - everything else, yes. I'll have to think about it.

You know... I think this might be a fun pursuit. I'm not sure I have enough soap/aftershave for 4 years though - everything else, yes. I'll have to think about it.

This was my biggest apprehension to the sabbatical but @GaryTha wrote the rules to include restocking when one item is completely depleted. I.E. if you have 6 soaps you can only restock when all 6 are done and only with one brand. I think he did say you could restock with say, a bulk buy of one type but not with multiple different kinds. Personally that made my decision for me. Like you i wasn’t really feeling the idea of buying 4 years worth of soap in advance, so i think allowing a restock when we’re out was a good addition to the rules.

This was my biggest apprehension to the sabbatical but @GaryTha wrote the rules to include restocking when one item is completely depleted. I.E. if you have 6 soaps you can only restock when all 6 are done and only with one brand. I think he did say you could restock with say, a bulk buy of one type but not with multiple different kinds. Personally that made my decision for me. Like you i wasn’t really feeling the idea of buying 4 years worth of soap in advance, so i think allowing a restock when we’re out was a good addition to the rules.
Thanks and yeah. What soap would I get though! Oh my lol!

Either way, it would be nice to just use up everything I've got now.

Thanks and yeah. What soap would I get though! Oh my lol!

Either way, it would be nice to just use up everything I've got now.

I’ve always “tracked” my soaps so i know i’ll get between 3-5 months out of a puck. With that reasoning, i figure i can just buy a replacement soap with each season. Say a proraso or something cool for the summer, when that runs out something fall or winterish. I don’t think we’re restricted to buying just one brand the whole 4 years. More just one brand at a time once current stock runs out. This would indeed be tough if i have to pick only one brand! Maybe @GaryTha can clarify. Although my impression is that there is no restriction so long as each puck is used up before another is purchased.

There is no such thing as a traditional shaver with lots of stuff. There wasn't room by the sink to store it.
If this is the case, than I’m an ultra modern shaver. I had a serious shaving acquisition disorder before joining this forum back in 2011. Back then I would collect electric shavers, cartridges, and disposables. After joining fogetta bout it. I had the insane idea that I could collect all the vintage razors ever made which I realized later was impossible and unrealistic. 300+ razors, 30+ brushes, 10,000+ blades, 100+ soaps, 30+ containers of aftershave, and a few failed sabbaticals later I don’t have any more space for storage in the bathroom. By making the commitment to not spend another penny on shaving gear for the next 10 years, maybe I can start the cure my illness?

If this is the case, than I’m an ultra modern shaver. I had a serious shaving acquisition disorder before joining this forum back in 2011. Back then I would collect electric shavers, cartridges, and disposables. After joining fogetta bout it. I had the insane idea that I could collect every double razor made which I realized later was impossible and unrealistic. 300+ razors, 30+ brushes, 10,000+ blades, 100+ soaps, 30+ containers of aftershave, and a few failed sabbaticals later I don’t have any more space for storage in the bathroom. By making the commitment to not spend another penny on shaving gear for the next 10 years, maybe I can start the cure my illness?

Seriously, if it's not a financial strain, I think you should enjoy yourself.

You look like a non-traditional shaver from say 1970. The average person would have a setup they used every day with maybe a couple of extra things. As they aged, they might keep old razors in storage or they might toss them.

You fall into collector, hobbyist, etc.,

Yes, I would certainly consider myself to be a collector & hobbyist. I’m not rich in terms of money, but am rich in love ☺ The cost of these new stainless razors that keep popping up lately isn’t cheap and if I is try buying many of them, it would definitely lead to financial strain. I’m ashamed to even think of calculating how much I spent these past few years.

Here's an old joke that might be relevant:
When we were growing up, there was always plenty to eat at our house. How did I know that?

'Cause whenever I asked Mom for seconds, she would tell me "No, you've had plenty."
:smile1:

I think part of the idea of sabbatical is to appreciate what you have already got; that what you have is enough to give you the results you need. Chasing after the latest and greatest won't necessarily lead to improved satisfaction. This is not the same thing as minimalism, asceticism or austerity. It is answering the personal question: "how much is enough?"

I'm still considering whether or not to do the leap year sabbatical. When I calculated how long my current supplies would last, it seemed I could make it, though. That's pretty crazy on my part to have so much surplus, which came about mostly from wanting to try different things. There were entire categories of products I avoided and I still ended up with more than I really need.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm considering starting a four year Sabbatical from 2/29/20-2/28/24. This will be more strict than the annual Sabbatical. There will be no annual restocking periods. No trading. No gifts. No inbound PIF's. There will only be two exceptions:
  • Sue Moore auction
  • Broken hardware if it's the only one left, i.e., a broken razor or brush
Check-ins will be quarterly. If one is missed, the participant can just affirm later they are still in the Leap Year Sabbatical

This is not a restraint. You just can't buy things, etc.
Why, why, why? Why would you do this to yourself?
this is hilarious

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The finalized rules are more lenient. Participants can buy to replace if it's their last container of the product. Not all products are restrained.
That is good to hear. To be fair to myself, i said it was funny because of @dfoulk 's reaction. I know you are spartan from this year's sabbatical and I respect that.

That is good to hear. To be fair to myself, i said it was funny because of @dfoulk 's reaction. I know you are spartan from this year's sabbatical and I respect that.

Sabbaticals are not for me. Way too expensive when I fail and buy everything and anything that I even remotely thought about wanting and couldn't have. I make much better choices when I'm not in a sabbatical.

@GaryTha, I guess there does need to be some clarification. My plan was to buy a years worth at a time once I run out, but maybe 3-4 soaps for a rotation for the year. Okay or not?

@GaryTha, I guess there does need to be some clarification. My plan was to buy a years worth at a time once I run out, but maybe 3-4 soaps for a rotation for the year. Okay or not?

Not OK according to the rules now. You can't buy soap until you are about to run out of your last one. Then you can only buy more of one type of soap.

Top Bottom