What's new

Leap Year Sabbatical

I'm considering starting a four year Sabbatical from 2/29/20-2/28/24. This will be more strict than the annual Sabbatical. There will be no annual restocking periods. No trading. No gifts. No inbound PIF's. There will only be two exceptions:
  • Sue Moore auction
  • Broken hardware if it's the only one left, i.e., a broken razor or brush
Check-ins will be quarterly. If one is missed, the participant can just affirm later they are still in the Leap Year Sabbatical

This is not a restraint. You just can't buy things, etc.

Interesting concept. It is perfect for minimalists, it is easy for them to get supplies for four years.
What items, would you cover with this sabbatical?

I've basically just completed a multi-year sabbatical, but only because I had dialed in my gear and all the ADs just naturally lost steam. I've recently made a modest order from WCS, and if I can fight off the sudden urge for another brush, I think I'll be ok for a while.

I have NEVER been successful when I've planned a sabbatical :D

But do tell us, what brings you to this extreme measure? Need to stop yourself from spending, or are have you eased into a place where you've got what you need and are no longer tempted by new soaps and razors etc?

For me personally a sabbatical is a voice on my shoulder telling me that I can't have something I want. I find myself pushing back until I ultimately fail and then I buy everything I wanted during that time span and couldn't have. Once I have all of these items I quickly realize that I only wanted them because I couldn't have them.

It's sad but I end up spending more because of the sabbatical than I would have had I avoided it. So for me sabbatical's are too expensive.

That being said, I've slowly evolved to a point where I don't really buy all that much anymore. Not because I wouldn't like to purchase stuff, but because it's become terribly difficult to find anything better than what I'm already using. Unless what I buy is from the specific makers that I prefer, most times I buy something I end up disappointed as it didn't meet my expectations.

Hat's off to those that can do it successfully though as you're stronger than I am.

Interesting concept. It is perfect for minimalists, it is easy for them to get supplies for four years.
What items, would you cover with this sabbatical?

preshave
brush
lathering product
razor
blades
post-shave
scuttle/bowl
beard trimming stuff
beard oil, etc.
Alum/styptic pencil
straight razor sharpening supplies
aftershave

Interesting concept to extend the restraint to a four years sabbatical. I might even join. I am almost through the second year of sabbatical and realize, despite not spending anything on DEs, blades, soaps or creams, my shave den has not really reduced, but at least it prevented me from buying more soaps. So, why not considering taking a four year sabbatical...

Interesting concept. I'm well into my second annual one with no concerns about completing it. However, I do take advantage of the restock period; there's no way I'd go four years on my existing stash. For me it's all about getting very familiar with the stuff I have; I'll replenish to roughly half of what I use up so there's a general reduction in the amount of gear, and I only get more of what I really enjoy.

But do tell us, what brings you to this extreme measure? Need to stop yourself from spending, or are have you eased into a place where you've got what you need and are no longer tempted by new soaps and razors etc?

I'm being serious when I say the only logical reason for doing this is because I want to.

I am a minimalist. In my opinion, if a person is not a minimalist, they can't be a traditional shaver.

I use a Van Der Hagen razor with a short handle. I have a spare Futur clone which I'll likely PIF soon.
I have a Cremo Horsehair brush. I have Astra SP blades and Gillette Wilkinson Swords.

I'll need to buy 12 pucks of WMS for about $18.50 and a 100 Gillette Wilkinson Swords for about $7.25.

A participant could choose a luxury package of 48 different soaps, 20 razors, 15 brushes, 48 aftershaves, 48 preshave products, 1000 blades, etc. They would just need to buy it all at once.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think I’m going to join. Will just need to purchase enough blades to see me through.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Will anyone take a chance on 4 years worth of superfatted artisan soaps with no preservatives?

I'm not ready to dive in but I do give my moral support. I'm an aspiring minimalist, attempting to whittle down my stash and have given a few products away.

I would join but I’m thinking of a sabbatical from the B&B forum all together, I wouldn’t be able to check in.

Top Bottom