What's new

Leap Year Sabbatical

I don't have a giant rotation, but part of me is afraid of running out of a well-liked product and not replacing it in order to use up other product. But I understand the use up what you got and stop adding to the hoard! Just not sure what my hoard definition is yet. Regardless, other than lathering product, I estimate 4 years worth of blades in just the 4 or 5 brands I like.

You might be surprised how long the soap you have now can last. Worst that can happen is you decide not to finish and your name gets removed from the list.

I'm getting close to finalizing the rules in my mind. They will be the same for the Leap Year restraint and the 2020's restraint. There will be two versions.

The restraint applies only to the following items:
  • Preshave
  • Lathering product
  • Brush
  • Razor
  • Blade
  • Aftershave
The first set of rules is a "desert island" scenario. You may not get any products on the list from any source except the Sue Moore auction or an inheritance. If your last brush or last razor breaks, you may buy another one. If you are traveling and need to buy gear at your destination because of TSA restrictions, you may buy it. If you forget your shaving kit, you may buy a minimal kit.

The second set of rules is strict buy to replace. Sorry about making the following sentences so simple. I'm doing it for legalists like me.
  • If you are about to run out of your last bit of preshave, you may buy more.
  • If you are about to run out of your last bit of lathering product, you may buy more.
  • If you broke your last brush, you may buy another.
  • If you broke your last razor, you may buy another.
  • If you are about to run out of blades, you may buy more.
  • If you are about to run out of aftershave, you may buy more.
You may take advantage of quantity discounts when buying lathering products, blades, or aftershave. Just be reasonable.

Note: If you read the rules carefully and follow the second set, you will find there is no need to get a large supply before the start.

Everyone will be their own judge. If someone just has to have that Wolfman razor, buy it, say something and continue with the group.

Initial supply period for 2020s restraint: Prior to Midnight on 7 Jan 2020.
Initial supply period for 2020-2024 Leap Year Sabbatical: Prior to midnight on 29 Feb 2020.
(Those participating in both will need to supply at the beginning of the year.)

Thoughts?

The second set works great for me, I greatly prefer buying once I run out. I was browsing earlier this week to plan ahead my supplies for the leap year sabbatical and became quickly uninterested in resupplying.

Leap Year Restraint
1. GaryTha
2. Chandu
3. Pepin
4. byDoms
5. Ruva
6. Jamesearthdrum
7. MacDuff
8. RTM
9. martym
10. deafficianado
11. Sotiris_A

2020s Restraint
1. GaryTha
2. byDoms
3. martym
4. Ruva
5. Chandu
6. deafficianado
7. RTM
8. Sotiris_A

I think I've decided to take the desert island approach to the 2020's Sabbatical. I've been playing with the Excalibur techniques and have found I can likely average at least 50 shaves/blade. My 75 blades should be enough to last 10 years. So far, I have 233 shaves on a puck of Williams with 335 passes. Since I now do one pass shaves, I should be able to average close to 300 shaves/puck. I'll add 12 pucks to my current inventory of three to make it 15 pucks for 10 years.

I'll start with two razors and one brush. The rules say I can replace those when the last one breaks.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'll start with two razors and one brush. The rules say I can replace those when the last one breaks.
I know you use the VDH razors. At Thanksgiving yesterday, I found out my brother in law is a wet shaver. He uses the VDH razors too. Though he has gone through two of them. The tightening mechanism at the bottom of the handle has stopped working the doors on both of his. He may have hard water and I don't think he does a great job rinsing and cleaning. I've decided to play Santa and have picked him up a different razor to try and am going to give him some soap and a brush. Up until now he's only used VDH shave oil which he didn't like or the VHD butter which he says is OK. Going to give him some Williams, Arko and a brush.

I also grabbed 3 more pucks of Williams today. A local grocery store carries them at .99 a puck. Laying in my sabbatical supply. I have some other products I'm going to gift away prior to the start so I don't have to use things I don't like.

I know you use the VDH razors. At Thanksgiving yesterday, I found out my brother in law is a wet shaver. He uses the VDH razors too. Though he has gone through two of them. The tightening mechanism at the bottom of the handle has stopped working the doors on both of his. He may have hard water and I don't think he does a great job rinsing and cleaning. I've decided to play Santa and have picked him up a different razor to try and am going to give him some soap and a brush. Up until now he's only used VDH shave oil which he didn't like or the VHD butter which he says is OK. Going to give him some Williams, Arko and a brush.

I also grabbed 3 more pucks of Williams today. A local grocery store carries them at .99 a puck. Laying in my sabbatical supply. I have some other products I'm going to gift away prior to the start so I don't have to use things I don't like.

I soak my razor in 50% strength dish soap every two weeks. That keeps it perfectly clean. I recommend the Cremo Horsehair brush for Williams.

You can gift things after the restraint starts, too. I was going to buy some blades to experiment with and gift some tucks. Each box of 100 blades has at least 5,000 shaves. When I started figuring out what I'd never use, I decided to go minimalist.

After reading through the new rules and it being just basically using up what you have before buying more, I am going all in on both of these.

I will be picking up a Parker Semi Slant during the restock period just as a backup razor for my Merkur 37c. Then I will be slant exclusive as I will be getting rid of my 2 straight bar razors.

I am also converting a badger brush over to boar by replacing the knot, so I will be getting a knot during this time as well.

My current supply of soaps will last at least 4 years after doing the math based on my average usage across all types of soaps I have. My plan already was to 3017 everything before purchasing anymore soaps.

I have at least 4 years worth of blades as well. I usually change the blade each week but, each brand I currently have can easily go longer than a week. I also will be just purchasing a couple brands when I run out as I have found what I like really well in the 37c. I don't expect much will change with the Semi-Slant.

This is just MY OPINION, but I agree with @RTM and @Macduff 's plan. I think it would be helpful for the participants to post a photo of their current stock with stock update pictures at each check-in. For me, personally, it's my honor and pride as a Gentleman that is on the line in any publicly acknowledged challenge, more especially one where it is just based on my word as a Gentleman. The posting of the pictures is, for me, just a way for my fellows to verify my adherence to the letter and spirit of the rules; they will be my accountability, my check and balance. Some may feel that this is unnecessary and that is fine, but we all are participating by choice and for various reasons; most of which is to reduce inventory and save money. This is B&B after all. It is home to many AD's and they are accepted and encouraged after all. :clap:

Leap Year Restraint
1. GaryTha
2. Chandu
3. Pepin
4. byDoms
5. Ruva
6. Jamesearthdrum
7. MacDuff
8. RTM
9. martym
10. deafficianado
11. Sotiris_A
12. Brian C.

2020s Restraint
1. GaryTha
2. byDoms
3. martym
4. Ruva
5. Chandu
6. deafficianado
7. RTM
8. Sotiris_A
9. Brian C.

@Brian C.
I'll be glad to put up some pictures if it will help. Others may do the same.

I don't have much. Just 74 blades, two razors, two brushes (one of which will shortly end up in the trash), three pucks of Williams, three bottles of Skin Bracer, and a bin. The 2019 Sabbatical successfully helped me avoid any addictions. The idea of making it through 2020 without buying anything is most satisfying to me. I'm being tempted to buy a razor during resupply week.

Gary

Last edited:
Another thing I will do in this as well as the yearly is what I did this year. Anytime I came across something that I just really wanted but stopped only because of the sabbatical, I put that money in my savings account. This may sound weird or extreme but I financed over 75% of my Christmas shopping from that account this year. That includes buying for 3 children who are still under 18 and at home, 9 grandchildren and my wife. My wife did not spend any money this year for any of the children. It was just a little way to see how much I actually saved and then put it to a better use.

Another thing I will do in this as well as the yearly is what I did this year. Anytime I came across something that I just really wanted but stopped only because of the sabbatical, I put that money in my savings account. This may sound weird or extreme but I financed over 75% of my Christmas shopping from that account this year. That includes buying for 3 children who are still under 18 and at home, 9 grandchildren and my wife. My wife did not spend any money this year for any of the children. It was just a little way to see how much I actually saved and then put it to a better use.

I made a triple entry financial statement to track everything. I paid myself for each shave and put the money in a coffee can. It came to $322 in cash savings for the year. My minimalism has spread to other activities in my life. It's easy to 'do without' without doing without anything noticeable.

Would mind explaining this thought process and implementation?

I created a fictional barbershop called "Nickless Shave's Small Time Barber" or something like that. I created a triple entry financial statement to forecast the first year. I set prices based on products consumed. The prices ranged from $0.50 to $1.50. I was the only customer. I'd put the money in a coffee under my sink. I'd actually pay ahead and keep track of my account balance.

Later, I simplified everything. I track the total amount spent and divide it by the total number of shaves. I update this each day. Actually, my log does it automatically.

1575367148282.png

If my assumption is correct, the first year, you buy the products and calculate the cost per shave. You then put this amount in the "bank" each day, effectively double paying the first year and then you could use it for your resupply and continue for each successive year in the same manner.

So .35 a day in the coffee can?

Now I pay ahead on utility bills to store some extra money. I don't put money in the coffee can anymore because I'm not going to buy much. Since my minimalism has spread to other areas of my life, I save quite a bit a month.

1575367828662.png

I calculate the cost/shave daily. To compare, you could calculate the estimated total cost of your inventory and divide it by the number of shaves you've gotten. Be sure to include inventory you will never use.

This is a better metric for cost/shave than using variable cost/shave like most people do. It accounts for items that will never be used.

My variable cost:

WMS (300 shaves at $2.20/puck): $.0073
Blades ($8.00/100 blades. 75 shaves/blade): .0011
Two razor amortized over 1000 days: $.024/day
Brush amortized over 1000 days. $.012 day

Total: Approx $.04/shave

If my assumption is correct, the first year, you buy the products and calculate the cost per shave. You then put this amount in the "bank" each day, effectively double paying the first year and then you could use it for your resupply and continue for each successive year in the same manner.

It turned out I paid $116.47 for supplies the first year and saved $322 based on the cost of the haircuts. The difference was profit.

So .35 a day in the coffee can?

Now I pay ahead on utility bills to store some extra money. I don't put money in the coffee can anymore because I'm not going to buy much. Since my minimalism has spread to other areas of my life, I save quite a bit a month.

View attachment 1040251
This is a better metric for cost/shave than using variable cost/shave like most people do. It accounts for items that will never be used.

Top Bottom