What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Synthetic Sundays!

1685888243670.jpeg

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE

There is no need to get fancy today. This humble kit provides excellent results.
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still in! Shave number 4 of June GRUME.

Decided to use my first safety razor that I bought in 2019. Good decision. What a fine shave! And only yesterday I was considering what I may purchase once that LEAF razor is returned. Had the Blackland Razors page open on the bronze Blackbird all day. Glad I restrained and used my old EJ89L. It was excellent to revisit this razor because it reminded me I already have 4 good quality razors to use.

Finally, the Lilac Vegetal smell has dissipated. That stuff has home under my bathroom sink. I may revisit it someday. Cheers and good shaves to the Knights of the Veg Table.

Fantastic three gentle, with the grain passes shave.

Good day and have an excellent week, Gentlemen.

069AEC04-5D14-4D71-BE02-D2F1595F55B5_1_201_a.jpeg

First use of the Red Tip Super speed- purchased in May. Like it a lot better than the flare tip, which I found not very effective.
Voskhod Teflon (5)
EJ Pomegranate and Limes Soap (SOTMC)
Geo F. Trumper West Indian Limes Skin Food balm- also a first use purchased in May. First impression is that it smells just like
Gatorade going on. Fortunately the scent becomes a little less sharp and more like real citrus after a few minutes.
Humphrey's Grapefruit Witch Hazel
Got just a little irritation on neck which went away in an hour or so. DFS.
Having just stocked up on a few of things in May I don't have any urge for purchases.

Still in, 3 days of growth

June GRUME : 2
2023 GRUYERE : 86

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette Platinum (0)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Godrej Cinthol
Brush : Proraso Professional Boar Brush
Aftershave: Osma Alum block, Sterling AS balm Margaritas in the Artic.

Decided to retry this razor and see how it compares to the other two I used in May, after that I might get adventurous.

A bit of irritation post shave but still enjoyable. lets see what the rest of the week will look like.

W23.jpg

Still in! Shave number 4 of June GRUME.

Decided to use my first safety razor that I bought in 2019. Good decision. What a fine shave! And only yesterday I was considering what I may purchase once that LEAF razor is returned. Had the Blackland Razors page open on the bronze Blackbird all day. Glad I restrained and used my old EJ89L. It was excellent to revisit this razor because it reminded me I already have 4 good quality razors to use.

Finally, the Lilac Vegetal smell has dissipated. That stuff has home under my bathroom sink. I may revisit it someday. Cheers and good shaves to the Knights of the Veg Table.

Fantastic three gentle, with the grain passes shave.

Good day and have an excellent week, Gentlemen.

View attachment 1665555 Other than the K.C. Gillette, which is basically an EJ89 with a slippery handle, this was also my first razor. Its always a pleasure to go back to and its hard to improve on. It just seems to work no muss and no fuss with virtually any blade.

I'm out. Bought a NOS straight razor as a birthday present to myself. Shouldn't have joined during the month of my b-day. Will continue to support those still in and will join next month GRUME.
Well, happy birthday to you! Sorry to hear that it caused you to fall out of GRUME, but there's always next month. Until then, we encourage you to try to go 29-of-30, because every day is a new chance to practice restraint. :)

Feel free to stick around the thread and soak up the vibe. And, of course, we would like to see pics of your downfall in all its sharp glory.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Forever?, SOTMC
2) @Chef455 - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
3) @mr_eleven
4) @Multum in parvo
5) @Roedeer
6) Wgg2017 - out (6/2: NOSSR)
7) @LJBraaten - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
8) @The Blackadder
9) @JAHE - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
10) @silverlifter
11) @hopper_64
12) GuidoTheGhost75
13) @iver
14) @Balin - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
15) @PersistentlyBlunt
16) @JWCowboy
17) @tjsgarden - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
18) @La Malice - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
19) @V12Stu
20) @Beto Salatini
21) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
22) @FL shaver
23) @ChriWilson - SOTMC
24) @den fly
25) @Trollky
26) @sandorfi - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
27) @Doti B
28) @TOVT
29) @Jack Goossen
30) @elmo_koffman - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
31) @Abz88
32) @Eshebert
33) @Ribitski23
34) @Jayson74
35) @Contact_vs_Feedback - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.

Preshave- Face scrub, Proraso white
Soap - RazoRock what the puck Black
Brush - homemade high mountain badger on a antler handle, face lather
Razor/Blade - Flexi with Nacet (2)
Post shave- RazoRock Alum Stick. Fine Platinum, Duke Cannon balm
2 1/2 passes - BBS = 9/10.

Nice shave, first shave with Flexi, very impressed.

14769378-C987-4DB2-B39F-34320458BA4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Still in. I don't usually shave on Sundays but it was my daughters 4th Birthday party today so I had to look presentable! A quick two pass shave with a FaTip Piccolo and a Rapira Platinum Lux gave a very smooth and close shave.
The lather from Der Vergulde Hand Shaving Stick was also excellent.

Still in! Tried sudsy lather again. It works fine, except it’s not possible to make a little so I feel like I’m wasting it. Truth be told, it’s mostly water and probably uses less soap than my usual shave. I was a little careless going over the chin and got a small cut, but it didn’t bleed too much. Finished with a 9.3, Feather 297 and counting.

Day 4, 13.3% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Leaf Twig, half Astra SP #1
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Astra SP #?
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

Snapped an Astra in two, and loaded a half in the Twig. It was a big improvement on the supplied Leaf blades. Got a comfortable DFS without any user error.

Top marks for agility in tight corners, like those annoying under-nose hairs.

Did a quick ATG pass with the Rockwell, to upgrade to a near-BBS.

Top Bottom