What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, and I decided to mix it up a little today with a

~~~~120 Year Old Shave~~~

This marks Micromatic Monday ( on time this week) and Lather Catcher Sunday ( only a day late this month)

I was able to get a fairly decent shave with my 1888-1902 pat. Kampfe Bros Star Safety Razor and an original Kampfe Bros. old style wedge blade. The blade was sharpened with ceramic honing sticks, then stropped with leather. The shave was better in some areas than others, but I would average it out at 8.5 / 10.
The blade is not in the best shape, it has a chip in the corner. That corner rests against the blade stop, so it doesn’t sit completely square in the razor, although it is fairly close. (One day I hope to find a blade in better shape, and with some aggressive honing dial up the quality of the shave.)
8217DDB9-2CE9-4E87-ADC9-C906734EEE98.jpeg

Still in, and I decided to mix it up a little today with a

~~~~120 Year Old Shave~~~

This marks Micromatic Monday ( on time this week) and Lather Catcher Sunday ( only a day late this month)

I was able to get a fairly decent shave with my 1888-1902 pat. Kampfe Bros Star Safety Razor and an original Kampfe Bros. old style wedge blade. The blade was sharpened with ceramic honing sticks, then stropped with leather. The shave was better in some areas than others, but I would average it out at 8.5 / 10.
The blade is not in the best shape, it has a chip in the corner. That corner rests against the blade stop, so it doesn’t sit completely square in the razor, although it is fairly close. (One day I hope to find a blade in better shape, and with some aggressive honing dial up the quality of the shave.)
View attachment 1666343

You'll shave with just about any blade won't you? Between this and the 296+ shaves Feather blade I'm waiting for the post where you detail your shave with the tuna can lid from your lunch.

In all seriousness though, you inspire me to stretch my blades as long as possible. 👍🍻

Last edited:
Date
365 daily shaves
157/365
GRUYERE
157/363
GRUME June
05/29
SOTMC
06/30
High Efficiency June
06/30

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 2.0 IIGillette Platinum (5+6)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to these shaves:

So far so good I would say.

General - easy 2.5 pass shave with a great end result followed by an amazing head shave. Wow!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

The last razor (Greencult 1.0) of my collection (and the one that ghosted me for June) came in today - unexpectedly ahead of time (I was aiming for Christmas) and with unexpected side benefits.

IMG_4448.jpeg

While opening the package my LOTH and I exchanged looks and I realised that this is indeed the last razor (I only have two left on my wish list and life is quite alright without them). I have also literally run out of space to store them.

@Jack Goossen - thank you brother for securing this one for me when I didn’t know I wanted one. And thank you for the additional goodies! Wow! B+M soap! This scent is waayyy darker and heavier than I usually use, so that will require some breaking in (acclimating) when using! And I have read your raves about the Schick from Holland so very excited to try that one too!

Meanwhile I hope you are gaining energy by the day and will soon be back in full battle gear.

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:
Shave #5
- Still In -

• AOS Bourbon - SOTM
  • Paladin Chief - 26mm
  • ATT SB90
  • Wilkinson Sword (G) - 1
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Mentholated Speick Splash

I'm waiting for the post where you detail your shave with the tuna can lid from your lunch.
Don’t encourage me! 😉
I'm waiting to see the strop action on this

@Guido75
Leviathan is great as an evening shave option, as in heading out to the pub or casual dinner - really like that one

Last edited:
Leviathan is great as an evening shave option, as in heading out to the pub or casual dinner - really like that one
Thanks Chris! I made a quick lather from some scrapings of the top and 1) lathers very quickly with nice foamy slickness and 2) scent is warmer when lathered than straight from the puck. Becomes more smoked ratherthan leather and coffee. I imagine this also to be a fall/winter type of soap. Will definitely try it out to get a sense of the shave feel.

Cheers,

Gossip

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! I made a quick lather from some scrapings of the top and 1) lathers very quickly with nice foamy slickness and 2) scent is warmer when lathered than straight from the puck. Becomes more smoked ratherthan leather and coffee. I imagine this also to be a fall/winter type of soap. Will definitely try it out to get a sense of the shave feel.

Cheers,

Gossip
Is that soap Omnibus Base? - I cannot tell from the lid alone
B&M was my first artisan soap and it surely did not disappoint.

In no way am I enabling, but also for fall/winter I like to use:
  • Nordost which is more of a burnt orange
  • Eigengrau which is earthy and woodsy
  • Taiga and Vespers which are more pine

Still in, 2 days of growth

June GRUME : 3
2023 GRUYERE : 87

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette Platinum (1)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Godrej Cinthol
Brush : Proraso Professional Boar Brush
Aftershave: Osma Alum block, Sterling AS balm Margaritas in the Artic.

Quiet too many nicks for me and some irritation. Some may say this was not a great shave, I would agree. somehow as I was lathering I was wishing I had my Semogue 1305 in hand instead, I believe that brush will make a come back next week.

Top Bottom