What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Tuesday June 6th, 2023
Still in.

Lengthy report in the 'rate you shave 1-10' thread.

Good day and gentlemanly restraint to you Gentlemen.

7EAAC5B4-B2CC-4A3A-907A-36193B62B4E6.jpeg

I'm not a rotation guy. I never could have a different razor or soap or brush for this day or that day and bounce back and forth. I just want to shave each morning and not have to think about it too much. I used my Tech/NEW Hybrid for 7+ years and it was like being on a familiar walk you've done a thousand times.

Then this guy showed up unexpectedly during a completely unrelated search, and for some weird reason i bit. And now I've been bit and I've cleaned and disassembled the Hybrid and put it away in it's lovely leather case and feel completely relieved I don't have to go back and forth between those two razors anymore... because I'm not a rotation guy!

IMG_2144.jpg

:sailor:

I'm not a rotation guy. I never could have a different razor or soap or brush for this day or that day and bounce back and forth. I just want to shave each morning and not have to think about it too much. I used my Tech/NEW Hybrid for 7+ years and it was like being on a familiar walk you've done a thousand times.

Then this guy showed up unexpectedly during a completely unrelated search, and for some weird reason i bit. And now I've been bit and I've cleaned and disassembled the Hybrid and put it away in it's lovely leather case and feel completely relieved I don't have to go back and forth between those two razors anymore... because I'm not a rotation guy!

View attachment 1666784

Very nice looking razor. I'm not as familiar with the vintage razors as I am with the moderns. What model is that one?

Still in, but really struggling with the MWF/Kent thing. I consider it a unique and amazing product and hate to think I’ll never shave with it again.

Same shave:
Manantiales soap
33C/SP
G5
A Star vintage handle with a 20mm TGN Finest
Super light and quick load gives 2 passes and touchups worth of nice lather.

Very nice looking razor. I'm not as familiar with the vintage razors as I am with the moderns. What model is that one?
It's a 1930's-40's English Gillette Flat Bottom NEW with the Importé d'Agleterre stamp on the bottom. Basically a Gillette NEW that was made in England for French export. There's just something very cool about using a razor almost 100 years old that performs so beautifully.

Day 6, 20% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Leaf Twig, half Astra SP #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

Had time for a more leisurely shave, so used the Twig again. Tried an ATG pass on my face. That worked a lot better than its bottom-heavy appearance suggested. The rule seems to be to stick to the angle that's "built-in", and then it won't give you any surprises. A good DFS+.

I got an acceptable neck shave, just using it WTG.

Date
365 daily shaves
158/365​
GRUYERE
158/363​
GRUME June
06/29​
SOTMC
07/30​
High Efficiency June
07/30​

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Platinum (7)Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)9.5/10 (Small spot post shave)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

General - exquisite shave with the Lambda today. Busy day at the office so I wanted to look my best. And I did.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in.
6-7-23 Wednesday

Razor: Tech
Blade: Wilkinson sword(1)
Soap: B&M Cool
Brush: RR Snowman
Pre: non
20230607_082821.jpg

Pulled the Tech out, hasn't seen the sun in some time. Trying a new blade, the only blade I have seen available in my area.
A fantastic shave, the blade was smooth and seemed plenty sharp.

DFS++

Be well
Jay

Top Bottom