What's new

It's pathetic but even after all these years, I can hardly wait to shave the next day

If I said this out loud to my wife, she'd just shake her head but maybe some of you understand. For years, this is the one alone time where I get to indulge myself on something completely personal. Like most guys who are still working, the morning shower and shave was a rush job (at least it was in my time). Now, retired for some years, it's a luxurious self-indulgence. The daily routine of showering and shaving is now like what I imagine a spa treatment might be like for women or those kinda guys who would go to an actual spa. ;) Am I nuts or can I get an amen?

I have a long way to go before retirement. With work, raising a child, and everything else going on… life gets hectic a lot of times. I can really relate when you say “alone time for something completely personal” and “luxurious self indulgence”. I always make time for, and very much look forward to my wet shave routine. It is often the most relaxing part of my day. It makes me feel like a new man and helps maintain some sense of sanity.

I have a long way to go before retirement. With work, raising a child, and everything else going on… life gets hectic a lot of times. I can really relate when you say “alone time for something completely personal” and “luxurious self indulgence”. I always make time for, and very much look forward to my wet shave routine. It is often the most relaxing part of my day. It makes me feel like a new man and helps maintain some sense of sanity.
Cezar, enjoy it while you can because when it's over, it seems like it was only five minutes ago. I would trade anything to have those years back and do it all over!

If I said this out loud to my wife, she'd just shake her head but maybe some of you understand. For years, this is the one alone time where I get to indulge myself on something completely personal. Like most guys who are still working, the morning shower and shave was a rush job (at least it was in my time). Now, retired for some years, it's a luxurious self-indulgence. The daily routine of showering and shaving is now like what I imagine a spa treatment might be like for women or those kinda guys who would go to an actual spa. ;) Am I nuts or can I get an amen?

Amen brother!

edit: and I wish my whiskers grew twice as fast. And that I could retire.
😍

Not pathetic at all!
I spent like 30 years hating having to shave. It was a chore!
I used electric shavers for all those years.
When I discovered wet DE shaving, it was amazing & liberating. I've loved shaving ever since!
I never shaved on non-work days and now I do. I shave everyday no matter what.
Sometimes I randomly get up on a day off and say that I need to shave and my wife just laughs, LOL!!
I tell her that it's like meditating!
Thankfully during my journey, I found B&B and have learned that everyone here is the same as me!
You're not alone🤣

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Amen brother

Most of my day seems to revolve around making other people happy its hard work sometimes. I'm a daily shaver mostly in the evenings as soon as I close the bathroom door I start to relax. Shaving is my me time when I'm totally alone and all the worries seem to dissappear and I concentrate on me. I know I'll probably sound stupid for saying this but even my wife says that when I come out of bathroom I'm like a different person and not just because of the lack of whiskers. I think its because I've just spent time doing something that I truelly love to do.

Amen brother

Most of my day seems to revolve around making other people happy its hard work sometimes. I'm a daily shaver mostly in the evenings as soon as I close the bathroom door I start to relax. Shaving is my me time when I'm totally alone and all the worries seem to dissappear and I concentrate on me. I know I'll probably sound stupid for saying this but even my wife says that when I come out of bathroom I'm like a different person and not just because of the lack of whiskers. I think its because I've just spent time doing something that I truelly love to do.
Out-frickin'-standing! I understand the spending so much time and effort to please other people. That was pretty much my career - pleasing and performing. At least it was profitable. ;)

lasta

Blade Biter
Amen brother

Hi Dave,

While I enjoy the occasional evening shave, I don't do it very often.

A shame to deny myself a baby's butt to stroke during daytime.

Many good observations here. Since I reverted back to wet shaving in 2013, shaving has been a pleasure, not a dreaded chore. The zen-like state of focusing on the shave itself is so relaxing; not to mention the choice of brush, soap/cream, razor, blade, and AS / Cologne.

I suppose folks outside the hobby think we're crazy.

When I'm at work, after having shaved that morning, I like to nonchalantly put my hand up to my chin/mouth area, like I'm thinking about something, but I'm really just smelling the aftershave that's still on my hands. Today, I'm smelling my B & M Night Music, which I haven't used in a few years. It's glorious!!

We have meetings for soap sniffers anonyms on Wednesdays, Like many others here, I had to shave daily being in the military and detested it, it didn't matter what I did, the newest multiblade or an electric thing with goo, I had irritation and loathed it, until I got a straight razor and now I too look forward to my 15-20 minutes of aroma therapy and me time every day.

We have meetings for soap sniffers anonyms on Wednesdays, Like many others here, I had to shave daily being in the military and detested it, it didn't matter what I did, the newest multiblade or an electric thing with goo, I had irritation and loathed it, until I got a straight razor and now I too look forward to my 15-20 minutes of aroma therapy and me time every day.

Sign me up for this!

Shaving soaps.jpg

Less than an hour later, I gave in. I said, "Self, you can shave right now if you want to, you don't need a full 24 hours! Get in there!!" So I did.

Used a La Toja stick and face lathered with my Vulfix Grosvenor boar/badger brush. Used my '63 Slim with a Gillette Platinum (3?) operating between 3 and 4. Easy shave as there was less to remove. Finished with Neutrogena Hydro Boot Gel and Proraso Green splash. A solid 9+ shave but not completely BBS. Now what am I going to do with the rest of my day???

Top Bottom