What's new

I would rather shave than have a beard.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Are you up in her grooming routines and business. Sorry, but my opinion is that healthy boundaries need to be set in any relationship. If you were holed up in there with a needle in your arm that would be one thing. Otherwise, door closed, reasonable activity, I love you dear, but leave me alone for a bit.

It's pretty simple at my house. I don't tell her how or when to groom. She does the same for me.

As far as shaving gear goes, I have a good sized drawer full of vintage razors, old brushes, cases, ect. I bought most of it at flea markets for a few dollars here and there. That little niche hobby costs far less than my other hobbies. Regardless of cost in time or money, she doesn't give me any grief over any of it.

When I use an SR the actual shave takes about 12 minutes from lather to towel off. Don't forget, there is the prep time and clean up time. And time to enjoy the shave. If I can't enjoy the shave, why bother.

~doug~
I don’t disagree. I was just trying to figure out if your new method took significantly longer than the 10 minutes she used to not care about or something. Strange

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Brother @Rosseforp , I am just glad for your sake that you don't call her "the lovely War Department!"

Unless she's German. Then you have every right to call her that.

My lovely bride has almost wept sometimes when I come home from Goodwill with my latest vintage Avon aftershave purchase!
You're safe Dave, my WhichyPoo is Chinese.

Come to think of it, that might be part of the problem. Her dad only scrapes the small amount of rubble he gets on his chin off about once a week, dry, with a disposable. Doesn't even rinse. Disgusting.

Until I started wet shaving 4 years ago all I used was a Norelco for decades, never really getting along with the Atra Twin blade that I started out with. I did try one of my Dad's DE razors too, maybe a few times, but mostly used electrics most of my life, pretty much hating every shave, never shaving on a regular basis because of all the irritation, nicks and cuts.

See, WhichyPoo is ok with three to four day stubble on my face, and I can't think of one single time she has ever complimented me on a close shave. It is the 5-6 day and on stubble that she doesn't like, and thinks I should just scrape it off in pain like her dad and brothers do.

What really surprises me the most is how much more WhichyPoo hates the goatee than she did the beard. I didn't care for the beard much, but I really love the goatee now that I have one, never having tried to grow a goatee before.

And since it appears that WhichyPoo isn't going to waver a millimeter in her endeavors to irritate me when I WANT to shave, I have absolutely no plans to ever shave the goatee off.

I really hated shaving my chin.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Oh yeah, definitely growing a beard now. Was seriously thinking of letting the sideburns grow out for October, and, after today's early afternoon shave, there is no doubt about it.

Oh, the shave was wonderful, I just never got to enjoy it.

Maybe I'm just too hypersensitive after getting interrupted during a shave a hundred times before I stopped counting. I really hate having to finish my shave early because someone is not as considerate as I am. Or having to wait from 4:30am till 8:30am because the knife never stops chopping, along with the cupboards constant slamming, when I get woken up at 4:30am whether I want to or not.

Oh, I'm sure some of it is me, I mean, doesn't every retired guy have trouble finding time to shave during the morning, day, or evening???

Or maybe I'm just gonna have to start getting up at 3am like before I retired, get in my neck shave, then go back to bed and tell the kids to walk the .9 mile to school in the morning like if I was still working.

The struggle is real.

~doug~

You're safe Dave, my WhichyPoo is Chinese.

Come to think of it, that might be part of the problem. Her dad only scrapes the small amount of rubble he gets on his chin off about once a week, dry, with a disposable. Doesn't even rinse. Disgusting.

Until I started wet shaving 4 years ago all I used was a Norelco for decades, never really getting along with the Atra Twin blade that I started out with. I did try one of my Dad's DE razors too, maybe a few times, but mostly used electrics most of my life, pretty much hating every shave, never shaving on a regular basis because of all the irritation, nicks and cuts.

See, WhichyPoo is ok with three to four day stubble on my face, and I can't think of one single time she has ever complimented me on a close shave. It is the 5-6 day and on stubble that she doesn't like, and thinks I should just scrape it off in pain like her dad and brothers do.

What really surprises me the most is how much more WhichyPoo hates the goatee than she did the beard. I didn't care for the beard much, but I really love the goatee now that I have one, never having tried to grow a goatee before.

And since it appears that WhichyPoo isn't going to waver a millimeter in her endeavors to irritate me when I WANT to shave, I have absolutely no plans to ever shave the goatee off.

I really hated shaving my chin.

~doug~
Dude. You married an Asian girl. This is the first time she's put her foot down? Stereotypes exist for a reason. They're true.

I also don't believe in-house petty wars work well, long term. Tell her you like to shave, every day and would like time to do it, annnnnnd, find something nice to do for her. Shave time for me = _____ for you.

Recent retirement is a big life change. Maybe she's feeling uncertain and doesn't know why this sudden interest in grooming?

Good luck bro!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tell her you like to shave, every day and would like time to do it, annnnnnd, find something nice to do for her. Shave time for me = _____ for you.
WhichyPoo thinks I should just scrape off the stubble dry every few days with a disposable like her dad and suffer. She simply doesn't get it.

the Struggle is Real

~doug`

Being from a place in the US, and growing up, with a high percent of Asians, this thread amuses me greatly. I have seen this mindset manifest so many times that it almost seems normal, also bossing around the husband is an expected tradition. I am sorry for your suffering and have nothing of value to contribute, but I completely relate to what you are saying! :cuppa:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Being from a place in the US, and growing up, with a high percent of Asians, this thread amuses me greatly. I have seen this mindset manifest so many times that it almost seems normal, also bossing around the husband is an expected tradition. I am sorry for your suffering and have nothing of value to contribute, but I completely relate to what you are saying! :cuppa:
Glad I could be of help! :ouch1:

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Maybe she's feeling uncertain and doesn't know why this sudden interest in grooming
I started wet shaving a year before I retired. I still remember her asking my why I was looking at a Van Der Hagen razor at Wal~Mart before I started wet shaving. I told her then I was tired of electric razors tearing up my face and needed a change.

It has been an uphill battle ever since. Oh, I can buy whatever I want, it is getting to use it I have trouble with.

the Struggle is Real

~doug~

Is there a sink in the new garage? I shudder at the thought of my lather shrapnel on a Mustang, but you'd more than likely be more careful.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Is there a sink in the new garage? I shudder at the thought of my lather shrapnel on a Mustang, but you'd more than likely be more careful.
I have been waiting on getting the floor epoxied before I finish installing the vanity in the garage, which just happens to be on the other side of the kitchen wall. The vanity in the laundry room is the best option, but the noise WhichyPoo makes in the kitchen reverberates through the entire house.

the Struggle is Real
~doug~

Top Bottom