What's new

Shaving and Aging

In the last year aging & health has changed my shaving - how I shave and what I use. I'm in my mid 60s and have been using a DE safety razor for over 10 years. Earlier this year I had a melanoma (non invasive - size a bit smaller than a quarter) removed from my face. Procedure was done by a plastic surgeon. This has left a lightly scarred area that I need to be very careful of when shaving. I also have picked up an essential tremor that causes minor hand shaking. The hand tremors kinda come and go. I live in a 55+ community where I see neighbors who have significant health issues ... I'm lucky just having some very minor health impacts.

But, they have impacted how and what I shave with. I have 3 Gillette Super Speeds from my birth year/quarter - red tip, standard, blue tip. A year ago I mostly used the red tip; I now mostly use the least aggressive blue tip. My Gillette Fatboy went from a 6 adjustment down to 3. I often need to use both hands on the razor handle due to my tremors. Also, my facial skin seems to be a bit more prone to cuts if I rush my shave. My point is how you shave now may not be how you shave in the future. Really glad that I decided to collect all 3 variations of the Super Speed, plus an adjustable razor is nice to have when things change.

Aging/Health ... has it changed your shaving? Great that DE shaving has tools/techniques that can allow for the changes we are all likely to see as we get older. Had to attach a pic :)

fullsizeoutput_2ec4.jpeg

I had a melanoma cancers removed from the top of my right ear, and upper right cheek in 2021. The medical team recommended an over the counter ointment called Aquaphor(sp) to apply over the areas to keep the sites clean. I still use the remainder for nicks and weepers today. It work well.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
In the last year aging & health has changed my shaving - how I shave and what I use. I'm in my mid 60s and have been using a DE safety razor for over 10 years. Earlier this year I had a melanoma (non invasive - size a bit smaller than a quarter) removed from my face. Procedure was done by a plastic surgeon. This has left a lightly scarred area that I need to be very careful of when shaving. I also have picked up an essential tremor that causes minor hand shaking. The hand tremors kinda come and go. I live in a 55+ community where I see neighbors who have significant health issues ... I'm lucky just having some very minor health impacts.

But, they have impacted how and what I shave with. I have 3 Gillette Super Speeds from my birth year/quarter - red tip, standard, blue tip. A year ago I mostly used the red tip; I now mostly use the least aggressive blue tip. My Gillette Fatboy went from a 6 adjustment down to 3. I often need to use both hands on the razor handle due to my tremors. Also, my facial skin seems to be a bit more prone to cuts if I rush my shave. My point is how you shave now may not be how you shave in the future. Really glad that I decided to collect all 3 variations of the Super Speed, plus an adjustable razor is nice to have when things change.

Aging/Health ... has it changed your shaving? Great that DE shaving has tools/techniques that can allow for the changes we are all likely to see as we get older. Had to attach a pic :)

View attachment 1771889
Nice razors, sir. :thumbup1:

71.5 here. Had cataract surgery a couple years ago and now I can’t see up close without glasses. Hate shaving with glasses so I just go in blind. Hard to judge around my mouth so I’m liable to get a nick or miss a spot.
Did I mention I’m in a hurry too?

My point is how you shave now may not be how you shave in the future.
Wise words here. I much prefer straight razors as I get much better results if I compare to DEs (despite using DEs exclusively for nearly 10 years). I still have my favorite DE razor, a Timeless stainless steel with both 0.68 and 0.95 plates which I rarely use nowadays. It crossed my mind many times to sell it, but exactly what you said is the reason why I still keep it, just in case things change drastically in the future. I am only 30 so I hope I won’t get there anytime soon.

I must say though that without glasses it is hard for me to see in the mirror, so I got used to shaving without a mirror. I am rubbing with my finger tips and feel for any stubble, and that’s how I know where I still need to work a bit more.

Cheers and wish you good health!

Nice razors, sir. :thumbup1:
You took the words out of my mouth, Eric. :thumbsup:
I turned 70 this year and have been traditional shaving for only a little over a year, so my frame of reference is a bit different. I have some health issues but most are below the neck so they haven't affected my shaving regimen. I've never chased BBS shaves, although I've gotten some out of a few of my razor/blade combinations. I definitely tend to favor mild razors and sharp blades. And Gillette Super Speeds are some of my favorites.

Last edited:
I see lots of older guys, I’d say most older guys, with beards or at least mustaches and goatees. I say to myself, they can’t see to shave, especially around the nose and mouth where you have to be careful.
I’d grow some facial hair and make it easy on myself if I could stand it.

@Fuzzy2964, I can related to your challenges.

My health issues (essential tremors) have been with me since early adulthood, hereditary, and mostly effects my head, but sometimes my hands. Now in my late 50's, they're just a part of who I am. I have tended to like the milder razors (FatBoy on 3, Slim on 4, etc), but have tried straights and more aggressive DE's. I just take it slower when the tremors are acting up, sometimes I'll skip chasing the close shave for that day. With the right razor/blade/soap combo, I do get DFS and DFS+ shaves most of the time.

PS. Beautiful razors!!

The bottom line is that the classic vintage Gillettes were brilliantly designed, not just in engineering (and looks to my mind) but the bell curve of the male shaving population. They really did their practical research and market research back in the day.

The result was and is blade gaps and exposure which will satisfy any shaving Gent in terms of a good experience. I respectfully disagree that some now claim to cannot get a 'great' shave with a vintage. Then technique and a more modern mindful prep comes in. I doubt if men's whiskers have got tougher since the 30's-60's to today. Much more likely the reverse, considering the great and rather alarming drop in testosterone levels over the decades in the male population, due to plastics in water, etc.

A vintage will deal with any whisker type. The great improvement we do have is in blades, and amazingly the vintages are amongst the most blade tolerent of razors, including new 'super' razors.

So you have vintages that can happily deliver great shaves to a youngster, and the mid aged tough whiskered types, to an older Gent who may have a little underwater damage nowadays but is still sailing and wants a great shave.

Great engineers back then, providing research and attention to the customer, from 17-87 for immortal products.

Last edited:
Not yet; and I am hitting 71 next month.

I still shave with straights and safety razors, but I do admit that the thought has occurred to me whether there might be a time when I will have to give up the one or the other.
If I have to give up both :crying:, my barber gives (replaceable blade) straight shaves for €8.-
After all, there was a reason that we picked Portugal as our retirement place :cuppa: (and no, politics was not one of them:001_cool:).
His shaves may not be as close as the best of mine*, but sitting in a barber's chair and shooting the breeze is not the worst of pastimes, is it?

B.

* Truth be told, none of the barber shaves I had ever was but then again, no barber knows my face as well as I do. :straight:

Last edited:
I'm 72 and thankfully no health issues.
What's changed this past year, is not to worry about the cist of shaving gear. I don't go mad, but if i see an expensive brush I like,...... same with soaps and cream,.enjoying a bit of luxury just now.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not age (I turned 50 a couple of months ago) but disability. Chronic neurological conditions. Pertaining to shaving, that includes impaired balance, vision, coordination, and spatial awareness. There are other challenges too, which don't directly clash with getting a good shave.

I posted the following on a fellow B&B member's journal, after he had just had a brain tumour removed, and discovered shaving had become a very different experience. He said that he now thought he understood what challenges I might face daily for shaving, and was quite frightened by it. Maybe some of it is revevant here...

Flights of stairs, crossing the road, places with distracting sounds and movement, kitchen knives, automatic doors. They can all seem terrifying when your abilities change. At first anyway. After a while, that normalises. Even on the bad health days, or most challenging tasks, the fear fades as the challenges are no longer unknown.

Some things may be rediscovered quicker than others. Some things might always be a bit different. But that's all it is ... just different. Those differences bring new appreciations and understanding. Sometimes new methods.

The engineer quickly adapts to the new design briefs and method statements. ;)

Even when abilities pretty much return in full, sometimes the newer methods remain, as they are better than the old ones. Whatever the changes may be, no matter how big or small, don't approach them as a loss. Approach them as a new experience. New things to learn, new puzzles to solve, new limits to test. Ditch the fear, and reach for patience and curiosity.

Discover, explore, reevaluate, overcome. But patience is key. Sometimes the wisest and most insightful action, is saying "not today".

The most important lesson I learned along the way though, is there's always someone struggling worse than me, yet still thriving, smiling, laughing, and enjoying life. It would seem that a good chunk of that is not focussing on what you have lost, but what you have retained.

I can no longer work, drive, do DIY, go camping, or be the first person friends and family call when there is a crisis. However, I learned to knit, toyed around with creative writing, learned how to shave with an open razor, and took other steps to take possession of my new life. It's different now, but it's still mine, and I'll make the best of it, even if that means doing things very differently to others.

Appreciate the B&B community sharing their stories regarding this topic. My very minor health/aging challenges pale in comparison to others. Great to see that we all find ways to deal with the health and aging issues we encounter. Agree with Alum Ladd - vintage Gillette razors hit the sweet spot for me and give me great shaves while allowing for the changes I have encountered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom