What's new

I'm curious - how do you personally measure razor efficiency?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm not obsessed with any kind of precise measurement, but I would define efficiency as the ability of the razor to give a close, BBS, shave without repeated passes and buffing. I'm not sure I understand about the difference between efficiency and effectiveness...so I can't weigh in on that. An efficient razor could be described as an effective razor? I would agree with that.

Last edited:
I tend to be a little less scientific in this measurement.

For me, if a razor can achieve a smooth result which lasts up to 12 hours, and by that I mean after hour 12 I can feel minimal stubble regrowth, and I look 'socially acceptable for 9 hours after that, I consider 'efficient'

At the moment all my open comb razors can achieve that, as can my only SE, a 1912 English Ever Ready. The adjustables can on settings 7-9, i.e the blade gaps that I believe were designed to mimic the Red Tip.

With the others, I allow a 9 hour - 6 hour pattern as above. Often this is exceeded, which is gratifying.

Interestingly, it seems that with the first group, most blades that I have tried seem to achieve this. With the second group, blade choice becomes much more of a factor. Obviously the 1912 is a separate case.

These observations are all 'works in progress' I must add.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is it possible to cut yourself, or even giver yourself a weeper or two, with any given razor? If it's absolutely impossible to do so, then the razor may not be efficient enough.

If it IS possible to cut yourself with a razor, then it is capable of cutting below skin level. If it is capable of cutting below skin level, then it is capable of cutting AT skin level. Beyond that point, the question of efficiency lies not with the razor, but with the competence of the operator.

As such, I don't tend to worry about whether or not a razor is efficient. If it isn't, I've probably just forgot to put a blade in. I'm more concerned with how comfortable the razor is, when used efficiently. I might be less able to compensate for that.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think we are in alignment with this and it fits my effective = efficient + smooth + nimble + maneuverable equation.

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here: Is the definition of "efficiency = gap vs exposure" used by the industry? It would make things easier for folks. How would it be represented by a numerical rating (1 - 10, a percentage, etc)?

This is a fine example of how we are all different when ratings and criteria are subjective and variable. I don’t give a rat’s behind about nimble. Not even one second of thought is given to nimble. I like a big, bold and heavy razor. So my equation of effectiveness is different than yours.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is a fine example of how we are all different when ratings and criteria are subjective and variable. I don’t give a rat’s behind about nimble. Not even one second of thought is given to nimble. I like a big, bold and heavy razor. So my equation of effectiveness is different than yours.
Good points. :)

Nimble and maneuverable are extremely important to me. Plus, as the nerves in my neck continue to deteriorate, I am less comfortable with heavy razors and have moved more to Titanium and even some Aluminum parts and pieces. @Rosseforp made me a nice LHF handle that weighs 25g. I've pretty much settled on handles that are 14mm in diameter by 80mm long. Anything too narrow is difficult to grasp. :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This is as a result of the conversation @BradWorld, @Hannah's Dad and others (including me) began over on the Blackbird vs Dart thread.

Figured it would be easier to focus on this point here as opposed to derailing that conversation.

So.....I'm curious:
  • How do you personally define razor efficiency?
  • How do you personally measure razor efficiency?
  • Do you differentiate between efficiency and effectiveness?
Hope to have an interesting and informative conversation. :)
I define efficiency as maximum cutting with minimal friction/passes.

I measure efficiency by how close a shave I get on the very first pass.

I’ve never thought of ‘effectiveness’ as a useful descriptor in shaving.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I define efficiency as maximum cutting with minimal friction/passes.

I measure efficiency by how close a shave I get on the very first pass.

I’ve never thought of ‘effectiveness’ as a useful descriptor in shaving.
Interesting to see the similarities and differences in how we view shaving terms. :)

A super efficient razor that is not smooth and nimble and maneuverable is not, by my personal standards, an effective shaver and is of limited interest to me. :)

Just my opinion. :)

Eben Stone

Staff member
I will use what I posted to that other thread...

For my experience, and as per many conversations here on B&B, I rationalize "efficiency" as a measurement, which is not subjective, and not variable. "Efficiency" is a measure of gap versus exposure. It measures how much hair a razor can physically cut. It takes into account the gap between the blade and the baseplate, and how much blade sticks out of the razor past its cutting plane. It has nothing to do with how a razor feels on your face, aggressiveness, smoothness, effectiveness, or any other subjective variable. All of those other terminologies are subjective, and will be based on a variety of variable criteria, such as prep, skin sensitivity, beard map, etc.

Effectiveness is the sum of all the parts, and a subjective measurement of the shave results. How close was the shave? How long did it last? How smooth and comfortable was the shave? How enjoyable was the whole experience? All of those things combine as the effectiveness of the razor.
^^ using the terms as described by @BradWorld...

To compare the "effeciency" of two razors (let's call them razor A and B), I start by comparing the "effectiveness" of the razors (the quality of the overall shave) and conclude that if the shave with razor A is *closer* than razor B, with all other hardware, software, and technique the same as much as reasonably possible, then razor A must be more "efficient" than razor B. Maybe that's backwards, I don't know, but that makes sense to me.

So for me, the measurement is just determining if razor A is better than B. I suppose I could do that with all my razors and give them a score. But honestly I'd prefer to just not think about it and enjoy my shaves.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My simple test of how efficient a razor is on first 2 passes with a new or used razor + a known new blade and do a feel test with no pickups. The passes are ATG + WTG and then do my feel test, if there is stubble on the cheek area I know the razor is not that efficient and grade that razor and then finish with my pick ups.
A lot of my razors are efficient and some just take another pass to reach that pinnacle of a close shave.
You can improve razor efficentcy by your pre-shave by just showering or cleaning your beard prior to a shave also because hydrated clean whiskers are easier to snip.

For me, I measure efficiency as how close a razor shaves vs how aggressive it feels. A razor that feels mild yet easily gives a close shave I would consider very efficient, whereas a razor that feels aggressive to achieve the same closeness of shave would be less efficient.

Effectiveness would be how my face felt post shave, how much stubble there was an hour later, 6 hours later, 12 hours later, and the next day.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great insights and opinions from everyone who has contributed! :)

Lots of very interesting perspectives. :)

Please keep the discussion flowing. :)

IMHO, I would use the criterion of:
1) The extent of stubble remaining after 2 /3 passes.
2) How much tugging / grabbing occurs during a pass.

I will use what I posted to that other thread...

For my experience, and as per many conversations here on B&B, I rationalize "efficiency" as a measurement, which is not subjective, and not variable. "Efficiency" is a measure of gap versus exposure. It measures how much hair a razor can physically cut. It takes into account the gap between the blade and the baseplate, and how much blade sticks out of the razor past its cutting plane. It has nothing to do with how a razor feels on your face, aggressiveness, smoothness, effectiveness, or any other subjective variable. All of those other terminologies are subjective, and will be based on a variety of variable criteria, such as prep, skin sensitivity, beard map, etc.

Effectiveness is the sum of all the parts, and a subjective measurement of the shave results. How close was the shave? How long did it last? How smooth and comfortable was the shave? How enjoyable was the whole experience? All of those things combine as the effectiveness of the razor.

+1! What I am after is ‘the sum of the parts’ (effectiveness)! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Now the hard part is to understand how we get there.

Top Bottom