What's new

How often do you clean your razors

I rotate razors about every 3 weeks or so. When ready for rotation, I take razor apart and give a once over with a toothbrush and some scrubbing bubbles. Water rinse and air dry, maybe a light polish with paper towel, before reassembly and back to the drawer. Perfecto!

I'm curious, how often do you take apart and clean your razors?

After every shave, I take the shaver apart and wash it with a toothbrush and dish soap. But I'm not sure that's right.

Someone had mentioned that frequent disassembly and reassembly is a prerequisite for faster thread wear.

On the other hand, this procedure is too tedious when performed so often.
So I'd love to know what your practice is and what you think is right?
After each shave I bin the blade and wash and polish the razor. A new blade is washed ISO’d blown dry oiled and loaded into the cleaned polished razor. The threads and socket of the razor cap and handle are oiled before assembly. The razor and blade are now pristine, protected from oxidation and ready for the next shave.
There are many components hardware and software that are used in your shave. If your shave is less than an ideal shave you begin to look for reasons and assign blame, and make corrections. If you’re using a fresh oiled blade and clean polished razor you can eliminate them completely from the poor shave. Now you can examine technique and software used to isolate your problem. Soap, brush, lather? Pre shave?

When multi-using carts on a three day interval. They were always mediocre shaves. Irritation was always present. Switching to DE afforded me to chase down and eliminate the irritation and problems in my shave. All my pre and post shave preparations took me a few years to work out. Eliminating shave irritation and improving shave comfort was another challenge and I leaned towards efficient and the more aggressive razors. Technique and shave style was adjusted and I ended up being a weekly shaver. Efficiency afforded fewer shaves fewer strokes and my sensitive skin problems were eliminated. DE Shaving in the early going is a long process with many elements to explore and fine tune to reach your desired style and shave. The more variables you have control over the easier it is to achieve excellent results. It’s a journey.
I eventually morphed into a weekly shaver using the same hardware and software for each shave. It is not the right or the wrong way. It is the way everything came together for My Shave. All my shaves are very efficient, irritation free and luxuriously comfortable.

I hope some of my opinions and suggestions help you refine and elevate Your Shave.

IMG_0494.jpeg

Happy Shaves

I only clean my razor after a blade change, which is usually 7 or 8 shaves. In all my years of shaving, I've never encountered oxidation, the blades being made of stainless steel.

Top Bottom