What's new

I'm curious - how do you personally measure razor efficiency?

My personal opinion is that differentiating between efficiency and effectiveness is just semantics. An effective razor to me is one that removes stubble without excessive pressure or strokes, leaving my skin completely smooth to the touch.

I also believe that, for DE razors at least, effectiveness is generally proportional to aggression. So an effective razor is more likely to lead to bloodshed and unexpected skin removal.

It's really about the feel of the shave and, to a greater extent, the end result.

TL;DR
Q:
I'm curious — how do you personally measure razor efficiency?
A: By the amount of blade exposure (not blade reveal).

I'd like to expand a little on my answer above...

I like @Slock's reply:
I actually had a thread about this.

DE razor geometry. A system for measuring aggressive razors

I tried to equate using a system similar to the measurements of an automobile tire. It isn't that simple there are too many variables in the geometry of the razor for it to be reduced to one or even three numbers. Please look at the attached image. This image illustrates all of the razor parameters.
1654532581056.png

But for me the only parameter that counts is Blade Exposure. Certainly all the other parameters are important, but they may or may not contribute to a razor's efficiency... depending on its individual design.

I used to be in the "rigid clamping close to the blade's edge" is the best fraternity, not any more. I always remember @rudyt saying that "you should be able to get a great shave from ANY razor, no matter what its design!"

I think about a year or so after Rudy's pronouncement I started to pay attention, and develop my technique so that I could get great shaves with any razor (of course, being a Shaving White Belt, that's a continual "work in progress"). Probably another year or so after that I stopped my initial detailed inspections of new (or new to me) razors. These inspections made me automatically "judge" the razors in advance of actually shaving with them (mind play :crazy:).

I came to realize that most razors that look poor, design wise, are actually pretty damn good. All I had to do to get a great shave was to understand that I know next to nothing about razor design... and simply play around (i.e. experiment) with my technique till it suits the razor (not the other way around :nono:).

Obviously, due to my particular skin type (average, I think), whiskers (coarse; plentiful; fast growing; grow nearly parallel to my skin), etc... some razors will suit me better than others. Naturally my favorites are all in that (suit me better) class.

RAZORS THAT BITE :letterk1:
That expression always makes me laugh. I do chat with my razors, AND they chat back, but... they warn me that I am in control when handling them. Unfortunately for many shavers, their razors are unable to compensate for OM.

Well, that's all of my two cents... and of course YMMV. :devil:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I was using the Gillette Fusion Power...... on rushed days, I could get up, shower, shave and be out the door in 20 minutes and still have time to fill up a Yeti with coffee.

I seem to take half an hour or longer to just to shower and shave now. Of course, all my gear is put away, so it does take some time to get towel, hand towel, wash cloth out of the dryer; get my gear all laid out... then start the actual shaving routine, which includes throwing the towels, etc. back in the dryer... and putting everything else away.

But as almost everyone here says....... it's a more relaxing, peaceful experience. That is... until you change a few things up and end up with a struggle or two until you figure it all out. But even that is fun.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
TL;DR
Q:
I'm curious — how do you personally measure razor efficiency?
A: By the amount of blade exposure (not blade reveal).

I'd like to expand a little on my answer above...

I like @Slock's reply:

View attachment 1467985

But for me the only parameter that counts is Blade Exposure. Certainly all the other parameters are important, but they may or may not contribute to a razor's efficiency... depending on its individual design.

I used to be in the "rigid clamping close to the blade's edge" is the best fraternity, not any more. I always remember @rudyt saying that "you should be able to get a great shave from ANY razor, no matter what its design!"

I think about a year or so after Rudy's pronouncement I started to pay attention, and develop my technique so that I could get great shaves with any razor (of course, being a Shaving White Belt, that's a continual "work in progress"). Probably another year or so after that I stopped my initial detailed inspections of new (or new to me) razors. These inspections made me automatically "judge" the razors in advance of actually shaving with them (mind play :crazy:).

I came to realize that most razors that look poor, design wise, are actually pretty damn good. All I had to do to get a great shave was to understand that I know next to nothing about razor design... and simply play around (i.e. experiment) with my technique till it suits the razor (not the other way around :nono:).

Obviously, due to my particular skin type (average, I think), whiskers (coarse; plentiful; fast growing; grow nearly parallel to my skin), etc... some razors will suit me better than others. Naturally my favorites are all in that (suit me better) class.

RAZORS THAT BITE :letterk1:
That expression always makes me laugh. I do chat with my razors, AND they chat back, but... they warn me that I am in control when handling them. Unfortunately for many shavers, their razors are unable to compensate for OM.

Well, that's all of my two cents... and of course YMMV. :devil:
Your last comment is probably why I haven't bothered trying a variety of razors. From day one, my Claymore Evo felt intuitive. The length of the blade was something I had to adjust to because if I got the angle wrong, I'd end up clipping something that wasn't within the shaving area previously.. and by that I mean... with the Gillette Fusion Power. I'd been using the general width since 1973.

When you are one with your razor, a comfortable relationship develops. You do your job.... and the razor does his/her/it's job. I haven't named any of my Claymores yet... is that a thing here? <eg>

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My personal opinion is that differentiating between efficiency and effectiveness is just semantics. An effective razor to me is one that removes stubble without excessive pressure or strokes, leaving my skin completely smooth to the touch.

I also believe that, for DE razors at least, effectiveness is generally proportional to aggression. So an effective razor is more likely to lead to bloodshed and unexpected skin removal.

It's really about the feel of the shave and, to a greater extent, the end result.
Our two definitions of "effective" are pretty much diametrically opposed to each other. 🤔

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I guess you mean an effective razor shouldn't be aggressive?
My definition of "aggressive" is a razor that is unpredictable and is prone to causing nicks, cuts and weepers.

In my book, aggressive is not a good attribute.

In my parlance:
Efficient is how easily and readily the razor removes my beard.

Smooth is the lack of aggression and the ability of the razor to remove my beard without irritation.

Nimble &maneuverable is the ability of the razor to navigate my face in an agile manner. To respond to the creases and imperfections in my face and skin without causing blood or irritation.

Effective is the sum total of the above attributes. Razors that I rate higher and more balanced in Efficient + Smooth + Nimble & Maneuverable are more Effective.

Hope this helps. :)

My definition of "aggressive" is a razor that is unpredictable and is prone to causing nicks, cuts and weepers.

That's the only place that we're not on the same page. I think of an aggressive razor as one that is prone to causing nicks, cuts and weepers *if you aren't very careful*. Aggressive shouldn't mean unpredictable in my book. An unpredictable shave is usually caused by something like poor blade alignment, support or rigidity. Those are signs of a crappy razor rather than an aggressive one. Your definitions may vary. 😀

In my book, aggressive is not a good attribute.
Agreed, but I think it's a side effect of effectiveness.
Effective is the sum total of the above attributes. Razors that I rate higher and more balanced in Efficient + Smooth + Nimble & Maneuverable are more Effective.
I judge effectiveness by the outcome. A razor (or blade) that can give a BBS is effective. If it can do so in one pass then it's also very efficient. I'm not sure your other parameters come into it, as important as they are for the enjoyment of the shaving experience.

It's an interesting discussion, but I don't have a strong opinion about any of it. 😀

The only way that I can measure the efficiency of a razor is by comparing it to another. It sounds obvious, but if one razor gets the job done with less work - fewer passes, fewer strokes, less cleanup - and comfortably, to me, it is more efficient, regardless of blade gap, blade feel, blade angle, head geometry, etc.

Those things may certainly matter, and have an effect on efficiency, but in the end it comes down to which works best for me.

Hmm…with you on that very much all the way (attributes of effectiveness) except for efficiency and nimbleness being part of effectiveness. Those have to do with the time it takes to shave for me and hence efficiency of the shave.

Best,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hmm…with you on that very much all the way (attributes of effectiveness) except for efficiency and nimbleness being part of effectiveness. Those have to do with the time it takes to shave for me and hence efficiency of the shave.

Best,

Guido
Each of us has our own way of assessing and prioritizing the various attributes of each razor. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I've mentioned many times, other than one previous use of the Lupo DE Aluminum, all my shaves since Feb. 18th have been with the ESC Claymore Evolution. That's all I know, but I have noticed since I started using the Timeless Ti Crown handle, the combination is more maneuverable due to the lighter weight. It's still just as "efficient" but is more nimble now. I'm glad I made the change.

I am going to order a Wolfman Darwin handle in basic polish stainless steel. It's somewhere in between the OEM handle and the Ti Crown in weight. It should be an interesting experiment. I just the look of the Darwin.... and didn't even try to resist buying it. ;)

I bought a Claymore Evo head only when they had their 20% off sale the other day to go with the Darwin Handle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor or shave? Or is that overcomplicating the discussion 🧐🤔?

So the definitions of effectiveness and efficiency or anything shave related then is (drum roll please):

YMMV 👍🏻👍🏻

Best,

Guido
Yes, exactly. My goal has been to elaborate on MY criteria and the terms I use to evaluate and express those criteria.

If I am going to understand someone else's criteria and the terms they use to evaluate and express those criteria, they need to elaborate on those items. :)

Yes, exactly. My goal has been to elaborate on MY criteria and the terms I use to evaluate and express those criteria.

If I am going to understand someone else's criteria and the terms they use to evaluate and express those criteria, they need to elaborate on those items. :)
Certainly true. And with all the input from everyone and your additional insights, would we be able to use the wisdom of this shaving crowd to at least get a handle on the question that started this thread?

We are in academic shaving territory here, but for new joiners to this forum we could be able to provide guidance for example on what we consider aggressive and mild razors using the criteria already mentioned in this thread and what their efficiency is? Especially those like yourself who have just about any razor in existence in their rotation/collection.

I am thinking some sort of table and scoring system. And then voting buttons for all to chip in. We have the buttons available already: 👍🏻😍😂😳🙁 to make responding easy.

Would that be useful? Or too conceptual? No is an answer too.

Best,

Guido

My only considerations, was the shave pleasurable and did it meet my expectations. A hundred different roads leading to the same destination. Keeping shaving fun; one shave at a time.
This is what I strive for, too.
I'm not obsessed with any kind of precise measurement, but I would define efficiency as the ability of the razor to give a close, BBS, shave without repeated passes and buffing. I'm not sure I understand about the difference between efficiency and effectiveness...so I can't weigh in on that. An efficient razor could be described as an effective razor? I would agree with that.
+1
I tend to be a little less scientific in this measurement.

For me, if a razor can achieve a smooth result which lasts up to 12 hours, and by that I mean after hour 12 I can feel minimal stubble regrowth, and I look 'socially acceptable for 9 hours after that, I consider 'efficient'

At the moment all my open comb razors can achieve that, as can my only SE, a 1912 English Ever Ready. The adjustables can on settings 7-9, i.e the blade gaps that I believe were designed to mimic the Red Tip.

With the others, I allow a 9 hour - 6 hour pattern as above. Often this is exceeded, which is gratifying.

Interestingly, it seems that with the first group, most blades that I have tried seem to achieve this. With the second group, blade choice becomes much more of a factor. Obviously the 1912 is a separate case.

These observations are all 'works in progress' I must add.
Well thought out! I am going to ponder this some more.

Cool.... I'm enjoying the scenery along the way..... but I'm finding some contentment as well.
It took me a few years to come to the contentment stage. For me, that is shave Nirvana, as much as I enjoy looking at new and shiny!
With YMMV in the back of my mind and the risk of @Cal taking the mickey out of me again:

• Effectiveness = quality of the shave (e.g SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS)
  • Efficiency = time in minutes it took to get the level of quality as per Effectiveness
Best,

Guido
This is perfect! I like these definitions very much, and they make sense to my little gray cells!

Top Bottom