What's new

I'm curious - how do you personally measure razor efficiency?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I got decent shaves with the Fusion Power, esp when the cartridges were new.... but I'd push them until that little colored wear strip was completely white and then for a few more shaves after that.

I only used the Lupo once.. and it was horrible for me. But that may well be because I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up ordering the ESC Claymore Evo and had it delivered before I shaved again. My face was a mess... all cut up, etc. You could bear down pretty hard on a 5 blade cartridge with very little consequence, but as you know, you can't do that with a single blade edge.

The Claymore Evo was brilliant from the first use. I re-nicked a few bumps I'd damaged with the first Lupo shave...and it took a few tries to adjust to the longer 50mm blade before I knew exactly where the razor was. Kind of like driving a new or different car.... you need to adapt to a different vehicle length, width and where the tires are, etc.

I've been getting shaves that last around 10 to 12 hours before I can feel the whiskers now.. with no effort at all. It started out that way from the very beginning..... but I didn't start paying attention to how long a shave would be last until I started reading about it here. But from the first shave, I was getting closer shaves with the Claymore Evo over the Fusion Power that I'd been using since they were released.

Thanks.

Sounds like maybe the Claymore is right efficient.

I don't have a Claymore, but I have some AC platform razors and get what you're talking about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I got decent shaves with the Fusion Power, esp when the cartridges were new.... but I'd push them until that little colored wear strip was completely white and then for a few more shaves after that.

I only used the Lupo once.. and it was horrible for me. But that may well be because I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up ordering the ESC Claymore Evo and had it delivered before I shaved again. My face was a mess... all cut up, etc. You could bear down pretty hard on a 5 blade cartridge with very little consequence, but as you know, you can't do that with a single blade edge.

The Claymore Evo was brilliant from the first use. I re-nicked a few bumps I'd damaged with the first Lupo shave...and it took a few tries to adjust to the longer 50mm blade before I knew exactly where the razor was. Kind of like driving a new or different car.... you need to adapt to a different vehicle length, width and where the tires are, etc.

I've been getting shaves that last around 10 to 12 hours before I can feel the whiskers now.. with no effort at all. It started out that way from the very beginning..... but I didn't start paying attention to how long a shave would be last until I started reading about it here. But from the first shave, I was getting closer shaves with the Claymore Evo over the Fusion Power that I'd been using since they were released.
Does the Claymore EVO have any kind of connection to the Claymore antipersonnel mine? It doesn't have a side that says front toward enemy?
US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Does the Claymore EVO have any kind of connection to the Claymore antipersonnel mine? It doesn't have a side that says front toward enemy?
View attachment 1466123
I labeled mine: blade side toward the face.

Like the old joke... the general contractor is talking to the future homeowners about their kitchen cabinets.... every so often, he goes to an open window, leans out and yells: Green Side UP... He interrupts their conversation so many times that the wife finally says... why in the world do you yelling "Green Side UP" every few minutes?

The GC says: Well, I have the crew putting in your sod....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sales pitch!;)
Actually... I promised an update for how long my shaves last. But, it doesn't come as a shock to anyone that I'm a fan. It's the only razor I've used since Feb. 18th. I have experimented with 5 out of the 7 blades available for it, however.

Hmmmmm I think I missed one. I haven't tried the Pro Proshave blades so 5 out of 8. There are two more aggressive Feather blades that I didn't bother trying.

As far as shaving is concerned I tend to equate efficiency and effectiveness - does my shave get the job done with minimal effort while remaining comfortable and predictable?

That very definition lead me to experimentation whilst shaving early on (after I had technique dialled in). Will different blades provide better shaves? What if I use a shim? Is it the soap? How thick should my lather be? What about preshave? Using a beard map for direction of passes. What is my ideal number of passes? Steep versus shallow? (It is clear that you can find me in the isolation cells of the BOSC Asylum 😎)

Ultimately the question lead me to buy another razor and what I have found is that my new razor (Fatip instead of KCG) usually provides a closer shave, but not necessarily in less passes or always comfortable. I do think the Fatip gets it done in the passes where I need four passes with the KCG - but overall I don’t think there is much of a difference between the two and so in my definition both perform equally well. With one exception which gives the Fatip the edge over the KCG and that is blades rigidity which adds to the effectiveness of my shave.

Now, in my work I do differentiate between efficiency and effectiveness but that’s a story for another time.

In sum, David, the question you raised in the OP is pretty much the holy grail question for me in terms of shaving. Excellent thread and love reading the responses of everyone. Curious to see if we can use the collective knowledge for a wiki entry 😶.

YMMV times the 10th to the 11th.

Best,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As far as shaving is concerned I tend to equate efficiency and effectiveness - does my shave get the job done with minimal effort while remaining comfortable and predictable?

That very definition lead me to experimentation whilst shaving early on (after I had technique dialled in). Will different blades provide better shaves? What if I use a shim? Is it the soap? How thick should my lather be? What about preshave? Using a beard map for direction of passes. What is my ideal number of passes? Steep versus shallow? (It is clear that you can find me in the isolation cells of the BOSC Asylum 😎)

Ultimately the question lead me to buy another razor and what I have found is that my new razor (Fatip instead of KCG) usually provides a closer shave, but not necessarily in less passes or always comfortable. I do think the Fatip gets it done in the passes where I need four passes with the KCG - but overall I don’t think there is much of a difference between the two and so in my definition both perform equally well. With one exception which gives the Fatip the edge over the KCG and that is blades rigidity which adds to the effectiveness of my shave.

Now, in my work I do differentiate between efficiency and effectiveness but that’s a story for another time.

In sum, David, the question you raised in the OP is pretty much the holy grail question for me in terms of shaving. Excellent thread and love reading the responses of everyone. Curious to see if we can use the collective knowledge for a wiki entry 😶.

YMMV times the 10th to the 11th.

Best,

Guido
It would be very helpful if we could all agree on the definition of each term we use. :)

Just to add to an earlier remark by @Phoenixkh I believe: it is now 18:00 at my spot on the globe. I shaved around 7:45 today so roughly 10 hours later and I can feel light stubble coming through - would still be SAS if I were to go to the office right now. Maybe even CCS. I would consider that effective by the definitions some have posed earlier.

With YMMV in the back of my mind and the risk of @Cal taking the mickey out of me again:

• Effectiveness = quality of the shave (e.g SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS)
  • Efficiency = time in minutes it took to get the level of quality as per Effectiveness
Best,

Guido

I judge efficiency on how many pickups there are after 3 passes and how easy it is to get rid of.The more efficient the razor the quicker it is with fewer strokes.Also how long it takes before i feel any stubble coming through.Efficiency and effectiveness mean the same to me.
Exactly. So if you need more time efficiency decreases, but if your stubble would be away until going back to bed again (which I have managed on a number of occasions - feeling quite disappointed actually as I always look forward to another shave!), effectiveness would be high.
Just to add to an earlier remark by @Phoenixkh I believe: it is now 18:00 at my spot on the globe. I shaved around 7:45 today so roughly 10 hours later and I can feel light stubble coming through - would still be SAS if I were to go to the office right now. Maybe even CCS. I would consider that effective by the definitions some have posed earlier.

With YMMV in the back of my mind and the risk of @Cal taking the mickey out of me again:

• Effectiveness = quality of the shave (e.g SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS)
  • Efficiency = time in minutes it took to get the level of quality as per Effectiveness
Best,

Guido
Which in my own case is something I need to work on. It does not matter which razor I use at the moment, I currently need about 20 minutes from start (prep) to finish (cleaning my razor). Yes effective, but efficient no - not so much yet.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom