What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

I never felt much need to do a journal but then I accidentally stumbled into a couple of journals and managed to learn some things, and occasionally give some advice. So...in the interests of furthering my own learning, and maybe other people's too, here goes.

Background: I shave with straights, daily. I have too many. You can see them in the "What straight did you use today" thread if you're inclined. I'm not sure posting the same pictures here serves any purpose. I wear a mustache (permanent, I daresay) and currently a goatee, which has been an on-again-off-again affair for a couple years now, but currently on...the women in my life whose opinions I care about (wife and daughters) prefer it, so I keep it. Though I do like the feeling of a fresh shaved chin.

The goatee presents a bit of a challenge, though. The whiskers below my jawline have a strong left to right bias, and they lie fairly flat. So, if I want to be smooth on the neck, I need to attack them almost directly ATG. This is challenging but doable with a straight--when my chin is clean shaved. I can raise my chin up and hold the blade with the heel under my chin and the toe pointed toward my collarbone, and with a careful scything motion, lop everything down well enough to be happy with it. But with the goatee, I can't do that, because the heel of the blade gets tangled up in the forest under my chin. Shorter blades (under 2.5" long) help but it still requires more gymnastics than I prefer.

Up until about a week ago I just used a Bic twin blade, non pivoting disposable to clean up under there. It's not the worst solution although there is a fine line between enough pressure to be effective and too much. And they don't last for ever, not on my beard anyway, although I can get quite a few uses by stropping them (one direction only, obviously) between uses.

For Christmas, I asked for a DE, of some sort (hinted towards a vintage Tech). My stepkid found a new DE in a local shop (details here) which turned out to be a nice surprise. I then ordered a couple of Razorock heads to play with, too. A Mentor and their Old Type clone. I like this bamboo handle just fine so figured experimenting with heads would be a nice start. I also got some GSB and Nacet blades. The "Cloud" blades that came with the original razor aren't awful, actually, at least to my limited experience.

To wrap up the Background section, I'll just say a few words about the three razor heads. First, the (supposedly) stainless steel head on the gift razor: it's OC on one side and scalloped SB on the other. It feels very nice to shave with, but there is not much play in the cutting angle. It's either cutting or it's not. The OC side is almost useless to me-- haven't measured the exposure but I suspect it's neutral to negative. By the time I'm doing cleanup passes there's just not enough left for it to cut. The SB side is workable though, although again, narrow window of use in terms of angle, which is challenging when navigating the uneven terrain under the jaw. But it is very smooth, quite tolerant of excessive buffing, and gets me good results (eventually) with not even a hint of harshness. I've used the Cloud blades and a GSB in it so far.

I should interject that because I've been using straights for several years, my instincts are to stretch the skin, use almost no pressure, and start at a quite shallow angle, riding the cap, and adjust it to more neutral to steep-ish to find the most effective angle. So far that's been working very well.

The other two heads: First, the Old Type clone. Wow, I really like this head. I wish it was solid steel and not plated pot metal. But, for $8, what are you going to do? It tolerates a wider range of angles, seems mild but sneakily efficient, and even tolerates a little judicious pressure. I've used it with GSBs so far. Still takes a fair amount of buffing to get as close as I'd like, but hasn't left me with any discomfort. Curious to see how the Nacet works in it. I suspect it will be nice. Second, the Mentor head: I think this is equivalent to the Maggard V3A? At any rate, it's supposedly more aggressive. I would say yes, it it more aggressive--feeling-- but maybe not any more efficient than the other two? Blade feel is definitely there. It feels like it has the potentially for harshness. In doing a head-to-head with the Old Type clone, the Mentor seemed to get a little closer. Not necessarily enough that I could feel it with my fingers, but in going over an already shaved area, it picks up a little more stubble. Not sure it's necessary, especially on the neck, but there you go. So far this one has only seen GSBs as well.

Ok, that's enough background. Will write about today's shave in another post.

Second shave of the New Year!

I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night; have had some insomnia lately and then one of the kids was up with a toothache. Prep was my usual hot shower, mild shamppo to de-oil the whiskers, and then Proraso Red preshave. I don't know it the preshave does much but it smells nice and feels nice, so why not?

Brush was a 19mm STF, soap was MdC Rose. The razor was a Swede, F.W. Söderén. About 5/8 or a little more. I think it was last honed on a translucent Arkansas. Stropped on Tony Miller roughout horsehide and then a few licks on a smooth steerhide strop I made myself.

In the interests of time I skipped my customary north-south first pass, which is largely WTG on the cheeks and XTG-ish below the jaw. Instead I started with my right to left pass (XTG on the cheeks and trending towards ATG under the jaw. The blade felt a little "meh" so I gave it about thirty laps on my flax linen and then another full round of stropping on the two leathers. Much better after that.

Second pass was a more direct ATG under the jaw (similar shave direction but stretching the skin from the opposite side as the previous pass, which picks up a lot more stubble). Then on to the Mentor with a GSB for cleanup below the jawline. I think this blade had a couple shaves on it already (I don't keep track) and while I could hear and feel it engaging with the whiskers, it wasn't knocking them down like I hoped. But, some buffing and swiping and I got where I wanted, though it was slightly harsher than I'd prefer. No weepers or redness but I can feel it a few hours later. Quite a contrast to yesterday's shave with the Old Type clone. Then, a final pass, south to north, with the straight, and done.

Post shave was Nivea balm followed by Proraso Red. My skin gets dry this time of year, and I've found the one-two punch works pretty well. I discovered recently that if you splash a little water on after or even with the Proraso it eliminates the stickiness and seems to suck the moisture into the skin.

Be well.

Thank you for sharing your journal with us! Can’t wait to read how documenting your shaves changes your perspective.
Thank you for reading it.

I will say, as an addendum to my main post: I occasionally wander into safety razor-related content here, especially when it's late and I can't sleep, and the straight razor guys have all sensibly turned in for the night. A lot of concepts like mildness/aggression, blade gap, steep vs. shallow angles, etc. all make a lot more sense now that I've actually put a couple of these razors on my face.

Welcome...there's lots of things here that will bring an "AHA!" moment every now and then...

jack-nicholson-hmm.gif

The other two heads: First, the Old Type clone. Wow, I really like this head. I wish it was solid steel and not plated pot metal. But, for $8, what are you going to do?

I haven't used this, but the OC has been on my list forever. It's supposed to be equivalent to a new SC I think.

I don't have much useful to say right now, but glad you decided to start writing down your experiences. It's a really unique perspective, somebody who has a well developed shaving technique figuring out a new format as they go. This could really help with writing more effective tutorials for complete newbies. Very much like how somebody who grew up on dirt bikes is magically able to adapt to anything with wheels better and faster than somebody who hasn't!

Today's shave was, in every way better than yesterdays-- not that yesterday's was bad. A couple years ago it would have ranked in my best shaves ever. My, how things change.

First thing, I got a decent, uninterrupted night's sleep. That's something that I don't take for granted any more. My prep was the usual shower. Proraso Red pre-shave while I stropped. The razor of the day is one I just acquired: a Daishi 350. Made in Japan, out of Yasuki Steel (Hitachi's industrial version of traditional iron sand steel), with an asymmetric kamisori style grind. Now, a traditional kamisori is essentially but not exactly a single bevel knife, made in a san mai syle with hardened edge steel surrounded by milder metal. It's designed to be used by a barber or a servant, and as such it's used with only the one side against the face. Folding kamisori fall into two basic categories: first, a traditional kamisori with a shortened tang and a pivot hole drilled to apply scales. The second category are essentially western style, monosteel blanks ground in the traditional asymmetrical style.

When I bought this razor, I was a little concerned because my most critical shaving passes would require me to be using the "wrong" side. However, while the spines of these razors is asymmetrical, they tend to be more symmetrically ground toward the edge, and as such need to be honed a little more like a western razor and less like a single bevel knife. This also means that with a little care, they shave equally well on either side of the blade. The blade is about 13/16" from spine to edge, quite typical for Japanese western razors, but the cutting edge is only about 2 1/8". Just a hair bigger than the Artist Club format. And truthfully, it shaves very much like the AC shavette I used to own-- except far more comfortably. The Yasuki steel (probably equivalent to White Paper #2) takes an incredibly smooth and sharp edge and feels like a whisper on the skin.

Soap was MdC Rose, again, and the brush was an Elite Razor finest badger in a TruStone lapis lazuli handle. Probably my favorite handle, both in shape and appearance, and the knot is nicely scrubby without any scritch.

For today's shave I did all my usual passes. Ironically it took me the same or maybe less time as yesterday. The Daishi doesn't mess around! For the neck cleanup pass, I returned to the "Bamboo Switch" unknown DE that started it all, with a new Nacet blade. This was my first experience with the Nacet. These blades seem pretty darn good. I'm surprised these don't get talked about more.😏🙄. In all seriousness, the advice that I've seen many times, to combine a sharper blade with a milder razor, seems solid. The cleanup went very, very well. More efficient than I've been able to accomplish so far, and with no real post-shave drama. I'm curious to try these blades in the OC head now. Seems like a winner. I may wait for a few more shaves under my belt to use them in the Mentor, though. Seems like it has potential for mishaps. I finished the shave with Nivea Balm and a generous handful of Lilac Vegetal. Got some tingle on the left side of my throat from the Veg, nothing major but enough to know I can work on an even lighter touch there with the DE.

Speaking of open combs, I was thinking about something Aaron @APBinNCA wrote elsewhere about how the comb is less effective than a safety bar at stretching the skin ahead of the blade. And that makes a lot of sense. It also explains why, for the specific way I use it, that this inherent weakness doesn't negatively impact my result. Because I am already stretching, just as I would with a straight-- both to force the flat-lying hairs to stand up, and to flatten out the uneven topography of my neck and throat. And, (at least with this OC head) the minimal blade gap makes for a nice, smooth approach even if I do have to work a little harder to achieve the same closeness. If you think about it, I'm asking an awful lot of the safety razor here. I'm doing ATG passes on skin that's already been shaved, on the most challenging landscape on my face, and (some of) the toughest whiskers on my face. And I'm demanding a near BBS result, on the most sensitive skin on my face. So I think my approach will continue to favor milder razors with sharper blades. If I were shaving my whole face, multiple passes, with the DE, I might have a different calculus. But then again, perhaps not.

Having said all that... I don't drink any more, but I'm still occasionally prone to groggy, late night impulse purchases. Which is why I now have a Fatip OC Retro in black nickel on the way from Maggard's. I partly blame Mrs. Scandalous, whose "Oooh, that's PRETTY" response sealed the deal. I also threw in a few blade samples.

This morning, however, in the sober light of day, I ordered another 500 Nacets from Amazon. No, the price isn't great, but I don't feel like messing around comparison shopping. They can live under the sink with my 13 (so far!) backup bottles of The Veg.

Heck yeah!!!! Another straight shaver with a journal. I’ll be following this one for sure.

I occasionally wander into safety razor-related content here,
This is exactly how I got into straights. I was always drawn to the straights in the SOTD post and other daily shaving post. I started to spend more time in the Straight Razor portions of the forum and bammm. I have more than enough straights to keep me happy for a while. Not that it’s going to stop any others from heading to my house. Welcome to the journal section and thank you for the advice you gave me on my journal.

Today's shave report: uneventful and drama-free, at least for the actual shave.

Prep was shower, Stirling unscented preshave bar, and then Proraso Red preshave. Finished off another jar today.

The razor was a lovely Fili 14, distributed by the Carl Monkhouse brand as model 747. These seem to be fairly uncommon and this one is almost pristine, including the box. The only flaw is some oxidation on the tang in the form of a thumb print. Kind of cool. Strop was a Tony Miller smooth horsehide with flax linen fabric.

Brush was a Razorock 400 and the suds were provided by Stirling Unscented with Beeswax. I can just see the bottom of the jar now. I use this one a lot.

Shave was the usual passes. For the neck cleanup I used the Razorock Old Type head with a fresh Nacet. Very nice and smooth. Maybe a hair less efficient than yesterday's razor but maybe not. I didn't go all out on the Adam's apple so there will be a hint of stubble there in a few hours. But the neck skin feels just as happy as if I'd only used a straight. I call that a win.

Post shave was Nivea and Proraso Red splash.

Now, to the "drama." As I said, I killed my jar of Proraso Red preshave. I got interrupted to deal with kid stuff and my skin dried pretty noticeably (yay, winter) so I cracked my new jar and reapplied to my neck before lathering it up. It...smells nothing like the last 3 jars. No hint of spiciness or sandalwood AT ALL. Just a mild, generically sweet scent. If I didn't know better I'd say it was an unflavored buttercream frosting.

Not sure what to make of that, except: when I finished my last tub of Proraso soap a few months ago I opened a tube of the cream that I had. I think it came in a set. I prefer the tub but the set of preshave, cream, and splash is a better deal. That cream doesn't smell right either. It's basically the underlying soap/chemical scent without even the pretense of sandalwood. Not that Proraso smells like pure sandalwood. But, it smell(ed) like Proraso. This one even seems like there's a hint of eucalyptus...which I don't mind but my bride does. Very strange. I thought I was nuts but I have a little Red cream that I transferred to a sample jar when I traveled last. Lathering that up, it has the same chemical notes as the new, but with the usual Proraso red scent. So, I'm not nuts. I had chalked the cream up to being a bad batch. But with this new preshave, now I'm not so sure.

The new preshave smells better than the new cream, and I assume it will work just as well, but it's very disappointing. The preshave was probably the best scented part of the lineup, with the splash being a close second.

Today's shave: the star of the show was the French rattler grind straight. I had an Ark edge on it that was a little too intense so I did a few laps yesterday on a particularly fine Tam O'Shanter hone from Scotland which mellowed it out nicely. I went back to the new Proraso Red preshave with a fresh nose...it is not scentless. Quite sweet, though-- reminiscent of the splash but not as good. Still no hint of the spiciness of the older stuff. Performance is unchanged, I think-- it was never a gamechanger on my beard but it provides a marginal advantage and leaves my skin feeling nice. Today's brush was my Proraso boar. It's not a work of art but it is a great tool. I'm glad to have variety but this brush could easily be my one and only if circumstances required it. Soap was Stirling Beeswax. The DE cleanup pass was the Old Type clone again, second shave on the Nacet and very smooth. I'm getting more efficient with this razor and the comfort level is such that it doesn't punish me for trying to get close. Post-shave was Nivea and Saponificio Bignoli Agrumes de Mediterraneo. I'm a big fan of natural, single note scents, and while this one has some subtle background notes, it's dominated by natural citrus flavors. A mild to moderate menthol kick, but it confirmed that there was no overshaving this morning. No extra burn and I'm as close to BBS as I'm going to get.

As I've been thinking back about this weeks shaves, a thought has solidified in my mind. It's something that I've known for a while with regard to straights but the DE experiments have confirmed it too. Essentially, regardless of the razor I use, I am going to end up making multiple swipes to knock down all the stubble. To clarify, multiple strokes in the same direction (call it buffing if you like). Obviously a sharper blade is more efficient, but even the sharpest blades I've used so far (diamond paste finished straights, Feather Pro ACs, Nacets) aren't a one stroke and done. In practice, this means a couple of things. One, I'm better served by light, short strokes, and two, whatever shaving system I'm using must be exceptionally smooth and comfortable for my skin to tolerate that abuse.

As a practical matter, once I was able to produce natural edges that were keen and smooth, I quit using diamond pastes entirely. The added keenness wasn't worth the added harshness. The same with AC format blades. Honestly, I love straights, I enjoy honing, but if I could get a consistently comfortable shave with an AC straight, I would sell most of my vintage straights in a heartbeat. The DE experience has been similar. Yes, the slightly more aggressive head I have is notably more efficient--yet not efficient enough to balance the added impact to my skin. That's not to say that a smooth, highly efficient DE razor that would suit my skin and beard doesn't exist--I'm sure it does-- but I'm also reluctant to sink a large investment into a tool that is at best, a supporting actor.

My Fatip should be here tomorrow or Monday, according to tracking. Very curious to see how it treats me.

regardless of the razor I use, I am going to end up making multiple swipes to knock down all the stubble. To clarify, multiple strokes in the same direction (call it buffing if you like). Obviously a sharper blade is more efficient, but even the sharpest blades I've used so far (diamond paste finished straights, Feather Pro ACs, Nacets) aren't a one stroke and done. In practice, this means a couple of things. One, I'm better served by light, short strokes, and two, whatever shaving system I'm using must be exceptionally smooth and comfortable for my skin to tolerate that abuse.
Do you have a problem with buffing? Do you expect to be able to do one single pass and get rid of the all stubble?

I, for one, do short strokes back and forth, avancing slowly (so basically buffing) while paying attention to skin stretching. It just works better for my skin and hair and get BBS without going ATG. Barbers use this approach as well. To confirm your findings, I get the same results as you do (with either razor type, be it a straight, shavette or DE).

If I sharpen the razor even more (for example using diamond paste) or using Feather blades in efficient DE razors, then just as you, I do not find it to be worth considering the extra skin abuse. Hence why, a more comfortable edge (Jnats for me, once in a while arks or cotis) and buffing is the way to go.

Honestly, I love straights, I enjoy honing, but if I could get a consistently comfortable shave with an AC straight, I would sell most of my vintage straights in a heartbeat
Why would you sell most of your vintage straights if you could get a consistently comfortable shave with AC?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Why would you sell most of your vintage straights if you could get a consistently comfortable shave with AC?

Obviously not Matt (is anyone, though?), but think I know.

Not having to maintain strops and stones and having much less risk of an off-day rehoning are probably the biggest draw.

Similarly, are you aware that some people don’t make their stones dead-flat before every use? Not talking about the cult of the convexed hone users, but regular, every day no-nonsense users. Apparently, if the edge did its job and the blade didn’t get janked or scratched up, they go about their daily lives without feeling a modicum of guilt for their sins.

Replaceable blade razors allow the rest of us to pretend such behavior isn’t unending shame. At least with Schick Proline P-Series. No idea about the replaceable blades from Feather and Kai.

Do you have a problem with buffing? Do you expect to be able to do one single pass and get rid of the all stubble?
No problem at all, as long as I can do it without taking off too much skin.
As much as I am turning into a collector, of sorts, I'm really not comfortable having things just for the sake of having them. The joy I get from my straights is almost entirely gained from using them. So, if an AC gave me the best shaves of my life, I'd have this weird guilt about the other straights in my drawer not getting used.

As it is, I've sold a few, some very nice, straights out of my collection for that very reason. Most recently a nearly pristine ivory-scaled MK 30. The idea of someday owning a whole set of MK29-33 is a nice one, and one I considered for a while, but ultimately the MK 30 was just too nice to leave in the case and only shave with two or three times a year (it was just too dainty for me).

Obviously not Matt (is anyone, though?), but think I know.

Not having to maintain strops and stones and having much less risk of an off-day rehoning are probably the biggest draw.

Similarly, are you aware that some people don’t make their stones dead-flat before every use? Not talking about the cult of the convexed hone users, but regular, every day no-nonsense users. Apparently, if the edge did its job and the blade didn’t get janked or scratched up, they go about their daily lives without feeling a modicum of guilt for their sins.

Replaceable blade razors allow the rest of us to pretend such behavior isn’t unending shame. At least with Schick Proline P-Series. No idea about the replaceable blades from Feather and Kai.
No, I really don't mind the maintenance. It's just another part of the ritual. As far as AC blades go, I never tried the Schicks but I've heard good things, nor have I tried Feather Pro Supers. The regular Pros were okay enough, although too harsh for my skin. Kai Milds were quite comfortable but I got a noticeably less close shave from them.

He clearly said he enjoys the maintenance, so I already knew that was not the problem.

Also, a strop doesn’t need maintenance, apart from some drops of oil or cream once a year which takes 10 seconds to apply and spread it.

Natural stones rarely need maintenance, if you only hone your own razors. Synthetic stones need lapping once in a while, but again, that’s a one minute job. Honing? It takes me 5-10 minutes on synthetic stones and 15-20 minutes on Jnats, and that’s when the edge is wrecked up pretty well. A normal refresh takes me a lot less, around 2-3 minutes on synth stones and 5-7 minutes on a Jnat. A typical straight razor can shave me well 50 to 100 times or even more, depending on some factors.

I am well aware most people don’t have dead flat stones. Nether do I, unless I freshly lapped that stone. Some generate slutty with a diamond plate, which brings the stone back to being flat each time it is being used. Others use natura (or rubbing stones) which kind of does the same thing. If you’re suggesting that honing on stones which are not dead flat is a big deal, well, I can tell you that even on the straight razor sub-forum very few keep their stones dead flat. For most, nearly flat is good enough.

No problem at all, as long as I can do it without taking off too much skin.
Okay, it’s all clear now. Did you find any progression which creates an edge which is gentle enough for the skin but still knocking off those hairs?

As much as I am turning into a collector, of sorts, I'm really not comfortable having things just for the sake of having them. The joy I get from my straights is almost entirely gained from using them. So, if an AC gave me the best shaves of my life, I'd have this weird guilt about the other straights in my drawer not getting used.
Totally understandable. At some point, I think many will feel the guilt of having too many things (DE’s, SR’s, blades, soaps, etc).

I went through the same last year and once more yesterday.

I just finished a new storage compartment for my SR’s. While I was moving them from the older wooden boxes into the new one, it got me thinking. I shrinked down to 30 razors (not counting a bucket of ‘meh grade’ razors which I use for tests), and I realized that even now I still have around 5-10 razors which I still never used. I am more of a ‘hone one razor, use it till the edge is good and when it’s not anymore, pick another one’ person. This means it takes me a looong time to go though them. I could easily do absolutely fine with just two razors for the rest of my life. Besides that, I still have DE’s, shavettes and blades, but these I am gifting them whenever I find the opportunity. Target is to keep only my favorite DE and blades (which I already have figured out for a long time).

Anyway, I hope you can find a way which makes you happy.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
He clearly said he enjoys the maintenance, so I already knew that was not the problem.

He said that after I hazarded my guess, but has probably stated so elsewhere. I haven’t been around the straight razor section too much lately, so my guess was based on other people who have switched from conventional straight razors and kamisoris to replaceable blade versions.

I wish you a delightful evening and spectacular weekend. 🍻

Did you find any progression which creates an edge which is gentle enough for the skin but still knocking off those hairs?
Oh, yes. Several, actually. Translucent ark, thuri, coticule (sometimes, still learning), this one Tam...in the second tier I have a Pennsylvania slate and a Water of Ayr. I don't own any J-nats (and I'm *trying* to keep it that way) but I've got a couple razors with other people's J-nat edges that are superb.

My favorite finisher so far is actually a combo: starting on Escher and following it with a trans ark. It's very sharp and yet very forgiving.

Reading back, I just want to clarify what I was trying to say earlier... my straight razor preferences (which I'm currently quite satisfied with) are informing my DE choices. Anyway. On to today's shave.

It was a bit of a false start. First, I grabbed my tin of SV Tundra Artica and bloomed it. Let my brush soak and warm up. Grabbed today's razor, Rigarazor and started stropping on my recently acquired Tony Miller smooth horsehide. This razor design lends itself well to shaving but stropping is a little awkward. I felt like I wasn't stropping effectively and was afraid of nicking the strop. So I grabbed my old setup and for whatever reason was a lot more confident. Second false start: I love the performance of SV but my relationship with this scent has gone downhill lately. To the point I haven't used it more than a couple times in several months. Today, the scent (which hasn't changed, to be clear) was actively making me nauseous. So I dumped the bloom water and pitched the tin. Less than 20% left anyway.

MdC Rose got the nod instead. I also skipped preshave today, only prep was shower and shampoo. The brush is Oumo Armor, anodized titanium, with their Emperor knot. This is such an interesting knot. Long silvertip but set low so lots of backbone. It feels like a wornout terrycloth washcloth on my face. Soft, yet scrubby, and comforting.
20240106_093944.jpg

The Rigarazor was brilliant as always. The vendor's edge is superb and the design, while scary looking, is quite forgiving and user-friendly. I don't know if it's the edge, the grind, the shape, or all three, but this razor always delivers a closer shave on the challenging neck areas than any of my other razors with the possible exception of the short bladed Daishi.

The DE cleanup was the Old Type head again, same Nacet (3). I kept watching out the window for the postman as my Fatip was out for delivery. Of course he arrived as I was putting on aftershave. Lol. Which, today, was Nivea followed by Soap Commander Endurance (Shulton Old Spice tribute). Got a little more tingle than the last couple days which makes me think I might have one or more shaves on this blade. We'll see.

The Fatip is pretty though. Alignment is good, to my eyes. A couple minor machining inconsistencies on the cap which is probably to be expected with this brand and price point. Excited to try it tomorrow.
20240106_110813.jpg

Top Bottom