What's new

How Often Do You Nick Yourself While Shaving

How Often Do You Draw Blood When You Shave? (Select multiple options)

• Once in a Blue Moon (also mah favorite beer)

• Weepers: once a month or less

• Weepers: once a week or less

• Weepers: almost every shave

• Nicks: once a month or less

• Nicks: once a week or less

• Nicks: almost every shave

• Serious Cut: once a month or less

• BLOODBATH!

• I have been wet shaving for about a month

• I have been wet shaving for about a year

• I am a seasoned veteran

Results are only viewable after voting.
i have ben wet shaving (straight blade) for a couple months now and barely cut my self any more the first week was bad but i haven't cut myself in ablaut a month. i bought a de razor last week and have yet to cut myself with it. i bought a new styptic pencil just before the DE and its still in the package.! i found going from SE to DE De was very easy and much quicker

Thanks for All of the responses. For all of those who like pie charts, continue reading!

Please note that these values are only for each category. Nicks represent only the votes pertaining to nicks. Weepers only represent the weeper portion and both contains both (duh).

$both.jpg$nicks.jpg$Weepers.jpg

Now to compare nicks v weepers to see how frequently they happen.

$nicks and weepers.jpg
As you can see, there is more prominence of nicks with respect to weepers experienced once a month or less. However, after this, weepers are much more common. Of interest, nicks occur less at higher frequencies (there are fewer people getting nicks frequently.) The same is not true for weepers. For some reason, many more people get weepers about once a week than at any other frequency.

Why are there more people who get weepers frequently? Why does it not taper off like the nicks data does? My only guesses are that either that it is a trade off with a closeness of a shave and that maybe people tolerate weepers more...

$nicks and weepers 2.jpg
This shows how frequent Weepers are with respect to nicks. So 100% means that weepers are just as common as nicks. The last point shows that of those who draw blood almost every day, weepers are almost two and a half times more common. Edit: for the total population, not each individual.

Also, I know that the text is hard to read. I don't feel like redoing the images and for some reason, they don't want to come full sized. Try zooming in on your browser or something.

Last edited:
Broad based conclusions:
About a quarter are blood free :) but this also means that 76% of us are not...
About 30% of those who responded get both nicks and weepers in some frequency. (the 130% stems from the fact that people can reply to any of the poll questions. So for the following, I multiply by 0.7 to account for this.)
About a third get nicks and/or weepers once a month or less
About a third get nicks and/or weepers once a week or less
About one in ten get nicks and/or weepers every day/every time they shave. Wow!
Serious cuts are infrequent about 3% of the voters occurring once a month or less.
One poor soul butchers his face.
A little over half have been wet shaving for about a year or less.

Here is a summary of the data as a percentage.

$Summary.jpg

A couple of things to note:
N = 277 voters
As was noted by a poster, these numbers are not necessarily representative of the general population, but may be an ok approximation of B&B members.
The sample sizes are not too high so there is likely some error.
I do not have specific data points, so i cannot draw any correlations between experience and any types of cuts.

I've only been DE shaving for a few months but since I stopped working so hard for the BBS I don't see red very much any more. I did do a little number on myself a few days ago when I managed to loosen the screw on a Schick Krona so that the blade wasn't being held under tension which made the blade gap huge. "Wow, this feels really rough." I've got to watch the way I put my pinkie finger down on the end of the handle when using a TTO.

I never get weepers or nicks on my face,my head is another story :biggrin1:once in awhile I get weepers/nicks.When you shave practically blind it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Usually about once a month, I'll get a little to aggressive in either the chin or mustache area and end up with a little weeper, but that's about it. Nothing a little witch hazel and cold water won't take care of. I'd almost answer "once in a blue moon," but my favorite beer at the moment's Resurrection Ale.

If I'd quit experimenting and keep using what I know what works I'd just about have to say never. Only other problem is trying to get that one more shave from a blade, have finally gave up and 3 shaves is it.

I only ever seem to nick myself these days when using a Feather straight. Beyond that I don't remember the last time I cut myself with a DE.

Watch it happen next time I shave though now that I mentioned it.. haha

About a week ago I shaved with a fogged up mirror and couldn't really see. Took a big chunk from my upper lip. That is my first big boo-boo with my DE. I've been shaving with a DE now for about 2 months.

I nick myself once a month or so, usually when I get bored with my shave and switch razors to liven things up a bit. Most nicks close themselves up and I only know that I've cut myself by spotting a bit of blood in the lather. I haven't had to break out the styptic pencil in a long time...guess I'd better get it ready for tomorrow's shave now that I've spouted off.

Last edited:
The object is to shave not cut yourself. I aim for perfection but every now and then, it happens. It seems by keeping the alum block handy, nothing is going to happen.

Weepers are a result of blade choice it seems for me. I use Personna Reds with no issues, but recently I have put Gillette Blacks into the rotation and they result in weepers.
I have had no real bad nicks in quite some time.

I have been at it almost a month now but I have yet to nick myself, knock on wood! I have had one weeper but that's about it. I'm still dealing with a little irritation but that's really user fault so I'm perfecting there and hopefully will have everything down pat in a few months.

For me I have been DE shaving my head and face for 2 weeks now. On my head I have yet to cut. nick, or get a weeper from DE shaving. On my face I have gotten a few weepers but nothing to serious.

I get frequent weepers. Whether its due to inexperience, sensitive skin, or being young is beyond me. But usually nothing a Stypic can't fix!

I get weepers every shave, usually on my chin and on the right side of my mouth - and to think, I have been shaving with a DE for two months now:001_tt2:. I know it is from trying too hard and I am trying to figure out what blade works for my razor. On the other had, I used to cut myself with an electric:scared: on the same spot on the side of my mouth.No problem with my cheeks, neck or jaw line.

Top Bottom