What's new

First DE shave is in the books. I survived to tell the tale…

Gentlemen,

I’ve just accomplished my first shave with a DE Saftey razor.

It was absolutely brilliant!

I recently joined & made my first post stating that I’d like to get into safety razor shaving and inquired about a first razor.
It was recommended that I start with a Gillette Tech.
I ordered one of those Indian 7 O’clock Sterlings ($10), and I used a yellow 7 O’clock razor that came with it.

View attachment 1790084

I pussyfooted around at first, certain I would tear my face up. Then I found “the angle”, locked in and I was off to the races!

Pros:
•Not one drop of blood. No cuts 🙌

•My face feels amazing. No irritation, redness, heat, etc. It feels so much better than with a cartridge razor. I keep rubbing my face in awe.

•I even managed to pass over the mole by my ear (and all around the mole) without nicking it. I probably draw blood on it 90% of the time with a cartridge razor.

•It was fun!

Cons:
•My shaving soap & brush hasn’t arrived yet so I used Cremo. I’m not proud of it, but it was all I had on hand (I threw away all my chemy shaving gels the other day, swearing to never use them again).
Being overly cautious, I used too much of it and it kept gunking up the razor.

•The most challenging aspect by far was doing my lower neck and trying to set the angle with the razor upside down. Felt like trying to write with my left hand or something.
That’s probably going to take a bit until it becomes intuitive.

•I’m going to have to clean out & rearrange my entire bathroom to make room for all the cool shaving stuff I’ll eventually buy 😁

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me and gave me suggestions, and for all the members who post and share information & experiences here.
I’ve been reading diligently and will continue to do so.

Cheers!

🍀

Well, you picked a great razor to start with, and it could be all you will ever need, however, if you are like the great majority of us, you will probably be up to your ears in shaving related stuff in no time.

Don't be embarrassed by Creamo. It works OK, but as you found out it is hard to rinse. My first DE shave was with a tube of Creamo that I grabbed at the drug store along with my first razor. I never used it again, once I bought a proper soap and brush.

Anyway, sounds like you had a positive first experience, and you will get better with every shave.

Welcome to the show. 🙂👍

Well, you picked a great razor to start with, and it could be all you will ever need, however, if you are like the great majority of us, you will probably be up to your ears in shaving related stuff in no time.
Thanks! It was recommended and it makes sense to start with something cheap, in the event I decide DE shaving isn’t for me.

That said, DE shaving is definitely for me and I’m looking forward to trying other razors. My next one, after much research and deliberation, will be a Game Changer 68. Just waiting for them to come back in stock (they said it should be this week).

I’m trying to get some of my buddies into the hobby as well so I may pass on the Gillette to one of them (or I may just buy them some, given how inexpensive they are).

I do plan on showing some restraint in the buying of products though.
I found a nice shaving rack/shelf that I really like that holds 4 brushes & 6 razors.
I’m thinking of getting it and staying within the confines of its limitations.
Probably an odd way to approach things but it forces me to keep razors & brushes at a reasonable number.
(I do wish it had more space for soaps).

IMG_3123.jpeg

I'm jealous. I haven't tried that scent yet. I have the Original, the Bourbon Vanilla, the Refreshing Mint and Heritage Red.
I confess I do use shave soaps more than Cremo. I enjoy the whole thing but I also am retired and have the time. But I also love the convenience that Cremo offers. It's so slick and works so well. No brush needed. Smear it on over a wet face and get to work. Good stuff!
I'm headed out of town this week and don't want to pack a mug, a brush, a puck of soap, etc. So I'm taking some Cremo Original in a little travel size squeeze bottle and a couple of DE blades and one of my safety razors. And I'll get a great shave every day.
If I may ask- do you rub it into a lather on your face, or are you quite literally “smearing it on”?
And do you apply a heavier amount, or at least more than what you might use with a cartridge razor?
Maybe I just need to watch some Cremo demonstration videos lol.

If I may ask- do you rub it into a lather on your face, or are you quite literally “smearing it on”?
And do you apply a heavier amount, or at least more than what you might use with a cartridge razor?
Maybe I just need to watch some Cremo demonstration videos lol.
:laugh:
My technique is to run a bead from the first joint of my index finger to the end of my finger. Smear in on both sides of my wet face. I put it on my left hand, which I don't use when I shave as I'm right-handed. I then do one pass, use any residual Cremo on my left hand for a subsequent pass.
It doesn't lather. If you look at the instructions, it clearly states that. It doesn't bother me at all.
I never used it with a cartridge razor so I can't make the comparison. :thumbsup:

DE shaving is definitely for me and I’m looking forward to trying other razors. My next one, after much research and deliberation, will be a Game Changer 68. Just waiting for them to come back in stock (they said it should be this week).

I’m trying to get some of my buddies into the hobby as well so I may pass on the Gillette to one of them (or I may just buy them some, given how inexpensive they are).
To help your technique, I say stick with your original razor for a MONTH before changing things up. Mixing things up too soon usually results in poor shaves (and these poor shaves often last for a LONG TIME [and frequently remain FOREVER]) as your experience grows but your technique remains static (or sometimes gets even worse). As an example, consider the many posts from experienced (decades) shavers who still regularly get weepers, cuts, and irritation. Only perfect practice makes perfect. :wink2:

Also, you may find that you prefer your Tech shaves to your Game Changer shaves.

Thanks! It was recommended and it makes sense to start with something cheap, in the event I decide DE shaving isn’t for me.

That said, DE shaving is definitely for me and I’m looking forward to trying other razors. My next one, after much research and deliberation, will be a Game Changer 68. Just waiting for them to come back in stock (they said it should be this week).

I found a nice shaving rack/shelf that I really like that holds 4 brushes & 6 razors.
Probably an odd way to approach things but it forces me to keep razors & brushes at a reasonable number.

View attachment 1791294
I have the Game Changer .68P and it is a great razor. Built like a tank and can serve you easily for a lifetime. Cool thing is also that they have so many other plates for it if you need a bit more aggressiveness later. Nice and flexible.

View attachment 1791294

You've chosen two of my all-time favorite razors. The Tech is a fantastic vintage razor, and the Game Changer 68P is a great shaver and easily a lifetime razor.

The Game Changer is ery well machined, fairly priced, and as @blethenstrom stated, very sturdy. A nice feature of the Game Changer (as you likely already know) is that you can buy different plates if you want something more aggressive/efficient. I've currently got two full razors, a 68P and 76P, that shave wonderfully for me..

Seems like you are off to a good start.

Top Bottom