What's new

How Often Do You Nick Yourself While Shaving

How Often Do You Draw Blood When You Shave? (Select multiple options)

• Once in a Blue Moon (also mah favorite beer)

• Weepers: once a month or less

• Weepers: once a week or less

• Weepers: almost every shave

• Nicks: once a month or less

• Nicks: once a week or less

• Nicks: almost every shave

• Serious Cut: once a month or less

• BLOODBATH!

• I have been wet shaving for about a month

• I have been wet shaving for about a year

• I am a seasoned veteran

Results are only viewable after voting.
haven't gotten a weeper in a long while, but since moving to a straight for the majority of my shaves no weepers, but i tend to get a light small slice right under my nostril at least 1x a month ... it's the only place where the blade is almost at a 90 degree angle and it shows..

Glad to see no bloodbaths yet. I initially meant this for just DE shaving, but it is just as applicable to straights. I don't see why a lapse in attention causing a cut can't be true for both.

After about 40 people responding, it seems that the majority of people don't really get nicks that frequently. However, there is a larger prominence in weepers. I guess maybe its a result of the type of skin you have, or as mentioned, wanting a closer shave. It's also interesting to see how much fresh blood (no pun intended, a year of wet shaving or less) has responded to the poll. I think that it is a good sign of wet shaving continuing to grow in prominence.

It would be cool to break it down by DE or straight, months since starting to shave, etc to find correlations. Anyway, keep it coming guys.

Once a month or less for both nicks and weepers. I've been re-using DE & SE razors for five years, so have learned what not to do, but it still happens. Like others I tend to get weepers when trying for a closer shave using an aggressive razor - like a GEM OCMM. Two weeks ago, using that razor I got three nicks in one shave. That really doesn't happen often.

Never!
What never?
Hardly ever.

It's rare enough that I take note when it does happen. Earlier this month, an ill-advised extra experiment with ATG in the wrong spot did lead to a small cut. I actually used to cut myself more often with Trac II/Atra than I do with SE or DE razors, but my technique has improved.

I took the "blue moon" option, although the beer part doesn't fit.:a26:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cycling through my sample pack, so once in a while I'll get carried away, and forget to make the necessary adjustments after switching to another brand. Talk about a reminder...sheesh.

Very rarely with DE's but almost always with my shavette (Magic PB0700 with Personna blades). I just can't See what I'm doing with the 'straight'. I got two weepers this morning before I finally rescued myself by switching to a Gillette slim adjustable with a Derby. I haven't given up on the injector type straight, yet...but I keep looking at youtube shaving vids and I still can't get the knack of holding the razor so I can see what I'm doing. Frustrating.

So after reading on this forum for over a month, I noticed that both newbies and pros tend to cut themselves, be it nicks, weepers or gashes. Since starting to shave, I think I may have noticed a weeper once, maybe.

So here is the question: How often do you nick, cut or otherwise draw blood when you shave?
Almost never.

Keep in mind that on any discussion forum people tend to post about problems.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
lennyn:
I think the type of razor and/or blades should be factored in regard to your query, but have you tried 'Shaving with the Sharks'??
proxy.php

Although I have used many, many blades over many, many years, Shark Super Chrome's are perfect for me with no pulling or tugging, moderately sharp, very, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'), very little to no irratation and no touch of razor burn that %99.9 of the time results in CCS's in 2 passes (WTG & ATG), with 6 great shaves per week (Saturdays are my shaving 'day off'),...and are very compatible with both of my Merkur 23C & 38C razors. :lol1:

Enclosed below are Shark razor blade Reveiws.

http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...-shark-has-2c-some-fine-shaves-dear-2c&cat=50

View attachment 202070 "Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

Last edited:
I put down "once in a blue moon" but that wasn't including my recently acquired R41--although I'm getting more used to it and haven't seen any red in the last few shaves.

Weepers are pretty common for me. Usually it's just from a desire to go a bit too aggressive. I've been blessed with coarse dark facial hair and somewhat sensitive skin (no really, I know that's what everyone says, but it's actually true, one of the reasons I switched to DE was in hopes that it would be better for my face). Usually they're nothing more than a tiny drop and a nice splash of cold water stops them.

Actual nicks that require me to get the styptic out aren't very common provided I don't let my brain coast in neutral.

Depends if I am trying a new razor/blade combo. If its new territory, then the chances of nicking my self a couple times are quite high. But if I go back to my standard set up, then i only get a nick/weeper if I'm not paying attention.

lennyn:
I think the type of razor and/or blades should be factored in regard to your query, but have you tried 'Shaving with the Sharks'??
proxy.php

Although I have used many, many blades over many, many years, Shark Super Chrome's are perfect for me with no pulling or tugging, very, very, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'), very little to no irratation and no touch of razor burn that %99.9 of the time results in CCS's in 2 passes (WTG & ATG), with 6 great shaves per week (Saturdays are my shaving 'day off'),...and are very compatible with both of my Merkur 23C & 38C razors. :lol1:

Enclosed below are Shark razor blade Reveiws.

http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...-shark-has-2c-some-fine-shaves-dear-2c&cat=50

View attachment 202070 "Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

I have tried the sharks. Well probably not the super chrome (log says white packaging). I did not really enjoy it. However, I plan on revisiting all the blades i have in about a month when i am more comfortable with my setup and technique to better judge the blades. And I do have a the super chromes (yellow packaging I believe). The shark super chromes are definetly on my hit list now.

I have two small spots where the razor is most likely to drag and cause a weeper if the cream or soap isn't slick enough. These 2 spots determine whether a cream or soap is a keeper or not. Sometimes I'll get one from not paying attention so after a weeper I'll switch to my backup DE for a couple of shaves to get my focus back.

I am on a “new” kick – I am moving away from my straight (which never saw me draw blood on anything but my dang left ear which seemingly is bigger than my right!) and into DE somewhat exclusively. I am not only switching up razors, but blades, brushes and new samples of every type of cream/soap I can get my hands on. Hence, along with that and a serious patience issue, I am seeing my fair share of red lately! As in almost every bloody shave! But it’s all good I says ... Thiskind of research is fun!

I might be an outlier at this point but I have been on this “new” kick long enough that I have to vote “weepers almost every shave.” Blue Moon beer … Yum!

Last edited:
well, i've been wetshaving for over two years now, but i can't seem to get over a pimple(always a different one too....) without nicking it. i don't feel it, but i always wind up with starlight mint lather on my face...

I usually get the weepers when I try for a third XTG pass. Then the weepers are in the chin area only. I rarely nick myself unless I'm careless under the nose or if I haven't used my straight in a while.

I usually get a nick or a weeper once a week, sometimes less. The styptic gets used sometimes but many times the nick is so minor that it stops bleeding completely by the time I'm putting on my aftershave.

Top Bottom