What's new

How often do you shave?

. . . properly honed straight allows me to shave daily and very close without irritation.
Goals.

Mouth area and back of neck motivate me to shave both before and after work, for the most part . . . but . . . my straights are not yet keen enough to support this frequency and intensity. My face often looks like I patronized Vlad the Impaler's barbershop.

I'm encouraged by what I read here, though, in terms of what the grand possibilities may be.

(I need to go hone.)

Last edited:
Alternating every other day between head and face, usually head in evening and face in AM. The head with SR is new - always got bumps and irritation with a cart, not with the SR. I started still doing the hard parts and cleanup with cart, but am using straight for all of it now. Working on being more efficient with time & my ATG technique on back of head, which still makes me nervous.

the best part 0 irritation. You can't do that with a safety razor!
This was my reason to stay to straight razors. It was a painful and frustrating experience in the beginning until I got good results, but at this point I could not go back to DE for daily shaves. Still, I like to use a DE razor once in a while, but irritation, bumps, ingrown hairs and edge inconsistencies are making me appreciating SR more and more.

I had heard all of the horror stories and found, to my amazement, that they weren't true
Perhaps contrary to popular belief, I find SRs to be safer and gentler on the skin than a DE.

Currently MWF, with Mondays and Fridays being two pass SR shaves on average, Wednesdays are early days so it's usually a DE or SE two pass shave. I haven't tried doing an every day SR shave mostly due to the time, but if I did, I probably would only do single passes to cut down on irritation. SR shaves (once my proficiency improved) have proven to be the most gentle on my skin and rarely give me irritation unless I get too fixated on trying to get that area to the right and left of my adams apple. I like the feeling of being clean shaven (not necessarily BBS), but in the heat of summer, I get ingrown hairs easily because the grey is wiry, so I prefer to leave a day between shaves to let the whiskers clear the surface a bit. 99% of my SRs are carbon steel and are all gentle to my skin, whereas the one stainless razor always seems to give me issues, and I've had vintage carbon DE blades give me less irritation and better face-feel after a shave than the newer stainless blades. Using a SR or Gillette Old Type to take off a week or so amount of growth is very satisfying, and I keep thinking of taking off the goatee in one fell swoop one of these mornings.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you use a SR exclusively, how often do you shave?...and does it make a difference during the shave, or on the end result? For example, do you find that you get a closer shave using less effort by shaving every day?

With a DE, SE, or shavette, I shave every-other day. It seems to work well for me and I can easily achieve a DFS result with little effort. SR shaving takes me a bit longer, with much more focus required but i understand that it is a different beast altogether, and that there is a learning curve.

What I'm wondering, would it be easier (or do you find it better in some way) to shave with a SR every day rather than skipping a day? Any advantage or disadvantage either way when using a SR?

I know, lots of questions. 🙂
Daily

I probably average every day and a half. But there are times I may go a week for no particular reason. Heck, there are times I'll just shave my neck and cleanup some lines and let more of my beard grow out for a few weeks or more. I could see doing that again this winter. Not big and bushy, but add some cheeks to my circle beard. I ride a motorcycle as my daily driver and even here in south Texas it gets chilly. A little fur to keep the wind off my face wouldn't be bad.

For me it’s every night Sunday to Thursday, and usually once either Friday or Saturday. I feel like I’m missing out if I go more than 48 hours without shaving. 99% of the time I use a straight and once a week I shave my head with a DE.

For 35 years, I shaved every workday with a cart and then a DE. For the last few years with working from home and millennials not shaving every day, I joined the party and shave about four times per week. I try to use a straight at least three times per week. If I did not need to commute to work three days per week, the number would be higher.

Somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 times per lifetime.

Buddha-72.jpg

I used to do three passes daily in the morning. Usually a BBS result. Even did the "365 Shaves in 20xxx" challenge and only missed a handful of days due to illness.

Now I'm retired and living on a boat. I still shave daily with a straight (except for GEM razors on Micromatic Mondays). But, now it's evening shaves, and I'm working on getting BBS with a 2-pass shave (WTG, ATG).

I think you need to try different frequency with different types of razors and see... There is probably no universal answer.

On my end, most of the time every 2 or 3 days. 3 DE passes + corrections. I do not feel the need to shave 24h after shaving. When I try to shave 2 days in a row, that is mostly just messing up my face . Maybe my technique is not up to point too, as I began shaving at this frequeny only I few months ago, always used to grow a few weeks/months beard.

I rarely shave twice in a day; usually go between one and two days between shaves; and seldom exceed three or four days of growth.

I typically go 4-7 days between shaving. Every now and then I can shave back to back, but my skin doesn't do well with that over the long haul. It needs a bit of a rest.

I shave almost every day and with three passes. With all the clean up, it almost amounts to four passes.

I mostly use shavettes, due to their convenience and the time factor, but I like to crack out my SRs at least once or twice a week.

Except for one day a week I shave daily. I can't stand to feel the whiskers, feel the itch, and see the unsightly look. I shaved daily even before I was old enough for the military to ingrain daily shaving in me.

Top Bottom