What's new

How often do you shave?

If you use a SR exclusively, how often do you shave?...and does it make a difference during the shave, or on the end result? For example, do you find that you get a closer shave using less effort by shaving every day?

With a DE, SE, or shavette, I shave every-other day. It seems to work well for me and I can easily achieve a DFS result with little effort. SR shaving takes me a bit longer, with much more focus required but i understand that it is a different beast altogether, and that there is a learning curve.

What I'm wondering, would it be easier (or do you find it better in some way) to shave with a SR every day rather than skipping a day? Any advantage or disadvantage either way when using a SR?

I know, lots of questions. 🙂

Every day, as close to BBS as I can get without causing problems. My whiskers grow pretty fast, though and I while I don't mind wearing a beard sometimes, I can't abide stubble. A properly honed straight allows me to shave daily and very close without irritation.

If I'm completely honest, I gotta say, using a SR has been the mildest tool that I've used to shave.

Because of my inexperience with SR shaving it requires many more passes (in some areas) to get a close shave but my skin never gets angry. With a DE, SE, or shavette, I find that it is much easier to over-shave and end up with irritation.

Because of my inexperience with SR shaving it requires many more passes (in some areas) to get a close shave
I have the same problem but I chalk it up to the way my hair grows in those areas: tougher hairs, bad angles for a full sized straight, and they lay flat (this is mostly along and under the jawline) Still, I can get it close if I want to take the time. I can't do that with a Feather AC because my face will pay the price.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My shaves (SR only) are normally three-pass affairs; WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG in opposite direction. This gives me a DFS+ result. I shave daily and twice a day if I can think of any excuse. Why? Because of the pleasure. It's an addiction you know.

It doesn't matter what my whisker length is, it always takes the same amount of effort. Longer whiskers does not make it harder nor easier to shave. You are still just cutting the whiskers at skin level. Shaving longer whiskers may be more satisfying but still the same effort.

As for skin irritation, the most number of passes I have done in any one sitting was eight. I was repeating each pass until I could see no more off-cuts in my lather. It consisted of; 2 x WTG, WTG (clear), 2 x XTG+CdM, XTG (clear), XTG opposite direction, XTG opposite direction (clear). Still no skin irritation.

If I do ATG (excluding the CdM), I finish up with a BBS result and nothing to shave the next day. Not good.

@gpjoe, SR shaving always takes focus/concentration on the job at hand. If you don't , your razor will let you know. That's part of the reason why it is so relaxing. No other thoughts should enter your mind while SR shaving.

I'm still learning with less than 2,000 daily SR shaves under my belt.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I actually prefer shaving to being clean shaven, if that makes any sense? Thing is, I like having a beard, and kept a beard for years at a time. I‘ve come to appreciate the feel of being clean shaven, but vanity leans towards a beard. Back to the OP, I SR shave every morning, 7 days a week. I don’t dig the coarse grey stubble and neither does Mrs. Raven. I prefer a single pass, close and comfortable but BBS it is not. When I’m clean shaven, it’s my whole face and a dedicated daily routine. FWIW shaving a full beard off with a SR is effortless I find, so I can’t imagine much differences if the razor is up to speed.

My shaves (SR only) are normally three-pass affairs; WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG in opposite direction. This gives me a DFS+ result. I shave daily and twice a day if I can think of any excuse. Why? Because of the pleasure. It's an addiction you know.

It doesn't matter what my whisker length is, it always takes the same amount of effort. Longer whiskers does not make it harder nor easier to shave. You are still just cutting the whiskers at skin level. Shaving longer whiskers may be more satisfying but still the same effort.

As for skin irritation, the most number of passes I have done in any one sitting was eight. I was repeating each pass until I could see no more off-cuts in my lather. It consisted of; 2 x WTG, WTG (clear), 2 x XTG+CdM, XTG (clear), XTG opposite direction, XTG opposite direction (clear). Still no skin irritation.

If I do ATG (excluding the CdM), I finish up with a BBS result and nothing to shave the next day. Not good.

@gpjoe, SR shaving always takes focus/concentration on the job at hand. If you don't , your razor will let you know. That's part of the reason why it is so relaxing. No other thoughts should enter your mind while SR shaving.

I'm still learning with less than 2,000 daily SR shaves under my belt.

Thanks.

Eight passes? Wow.

I was embarrassed to say in my original posts that I've done four or five with a SR (where I am comfortable) to get a result similar to DE in three passes, but I'm finding through the responses here that exceeding three is not uncommon with a SR.

I do 3 passes every day, starting with WTG on face and neck, then second pass is XTG on face and ATG on neck and finishing with a third pass which is XTG on face from the other direction and a mix of ATG and XTG on neck (my hair grows in a weird position here). The result should be DFS or BBS, depending on how sharp the razor is.

This morning, I shaved at 6:00 AM and now it is 9:30 PM and I just start to feel the hairs popping out on my neck. Chin and cheeks started to get scratchy around 4 or 5 PM. Also, the razor I used this morning needs to pay a visit to the stone.

I'm finding through the responses here that exceeding three is not uncommon with a SR.
I think more than 3-4 passes is uncommon for a SR. But if someone thinks my feeling is not right, please correct me, I’d like to know if I am wrong.

In my case, if the SR is sharp enough, I do not notice a difference in cutting performance if I compare it with a DE.

I also suspect @rbscebu did 8 passes to experiment, but that was not really necessary.

I did 7-10 passes in the past, but that only to test the lather. In fact, on 4th pass on I could not hear or feel any feedback from the extra hollow razors, meaning there was nothing left to cut. In my extreme number of passes, anything above (and including) 4th pass were basically only wiping off the lather and nothing else.

I can grow hair fast and have coarse grey stubble in 24 yours. In 48 hours I can line out a noticeable beard. I shave every night with 3 passes. Before I found DE shaving I kept a full beard from the start of Bow season (Sept) to the end of the last split of the deer & duck season (Mid Feb). Once it started getting hot I would shave every 3-4 days or before anything important. I never found a cartridge razor that did not razor burn my neck.

I shave 4-5x per week depending - my beard is too colorful these days :tongue_sm
I usually incorporate the SR into each shave, but there are some days that I am pressed into 2-passes with a DE.

I shave Mon-Fri in the mornings before work, and Saturday afternoon when I have finished working outside. So two shaves, Saturday and Monday are with more growth, and these shaves are slightly different. Saturday I am under no time pressure, so can really kick back and enjoy the shave. Monday as the first day of the week always feels more rushed and if I am going to use a DE, it will be on a Monday.

Other than that, every shave is the same two and a half passes (maybe three on a Saturday if I am really into it). I'm at the point now where results with a straight are invariably better in terms of the closeness of the shave, and light years ahead in terms of comfort and post shave feel.

There is no discernible difference, as far as I can tell, between a day's growth and a day and a half or two. When I was much younger, I'd get straight shaves form a barber if I had grown a beard for a couple of months. That always felt amazing afterwards, but I think that a lot of that was just the novelty of having your skin exposed to the elements again.

Legion

Staff member
Normally every second day, and I find I can get closer (or it seems that way) than shaving daily.

Right now I have a sailors beard, since I stopped shaving during an illness a couple of months ago, and the wife likes it and won't let me shave it off. So apart from tidying up my neck and top of my cheeks, my razors are getting neglected. I also have a backlog of stones that need testing, so this cannot last.

If I'm completely honest, I gotta say, using a SR has been the mildest tool that I've used to shave.

Because of my inexperience with SR shaving it requires many more passes (in some areas) to get a close shave but my skin never gets angry. With a DE, SE, or shavette, I find that it is much easier to over-shave and end up with irritation.
A suggestion for you to consider...buy yourself a Muhle R41 it might be the answer to your question. Like you, I used to use both SR and DE, however, about 5 years ago i purchased this razor and I have not looked back since, it's the only razor i use now. It took me about 2 weeks to zero in on my technique and the right combination of blade and soap, once you settle on what works for your skin this razor is just superb. Also, i used to do the 3 pass shaves to get the closest shave possible but now i only do a 2 pass shave which equals to less blade on skin. And yes, I shave every day except weekends without any irritation to my skin, in fact a 2 pass shave has improved my skin without any irritation whatsoever. I hardly use my SR since i've been shaving with the R41

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks.

Eight passes? Wow.

I was embarrassed to say in my original posts that I've done four or five with a SR (where I am comfortable) to get a result similar to DE in three passes, but I'm finding through the responses here that exceeding three is not uncommon with a SR.
Doing more than 3 passes is uncommon for me. I will occasionally do more but that is just for the novelty and enjoyment.
I also suspect @rbscebu did 8 passes to experiment, but that was not really necessary.

Yes, it was an experiment. I just wanted to see what it took to have not even a single piece of whisker showing up in my used lather on the sponge.

I shave 6 days a week and give my face a sabbath rest one day. I can't stand to be unshaven. I don't like the scratch or the itch and I don't like feeling half bathed. I've been shaving since I was 12 or 13 years old. A straight razor is simply the most enjoyable way to shave. I had heard all of the horror stories and found, to my amazement, that they weren't true. The straight razor is just a simple pleasure of life. I recently got a deal on a really good clone of a Feather Artist Club that I've been playing with. It is really good and smooth. Somehow, it is missing something over my straights, but it surely isn't bad. Shaving with a straight, for me, is meditative and helps me get my day started off right.

Top Bottom