What's new

How often do you have a bad tin seal?

The other day I noticed a tin of suttlif 1849 wasn't vac sealed any longer. Glad I spotted it early. It makes me wonder though... how often are tin seals bad? What has been you experience?

Also are the sam gawith tin seals still suspect? Grabbed a few tin recently and wondering if I need to pop them all and jar them right away.

I had an 8 oz GLP Gaslight can explode a while back from overexuberant fermentation/aging I imagine. The man cave smelled like a campfire (in a good way) for a while. One of the 'brownies' inside the can looked a little hairy so I pitched it. I put the other relatively normal appearing 'cakes' into a mason jar where I can keep an eye on them. Also, I've heard if a tin feels light or sounds 'rattly' when you shake it might be a sign of moisture loss i.e. pinholes or seal failure.. These failures, I've gathered, are the exception not the rule luckily..

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Also are the sam gawith tin seals still suspect? Grabbed a few tin recently and wondering if I need to pop them all and jar them right away

One of Gawith's directors came to B&B about a year ago, and said their packaging is purely to get their product to the customer in good condition, and is not intended for long term storage. She said the blend should be transferred to a different container for cellaring/ageing.

I have many Gawith blends laid away in modest quantities, but none of them in their original tins. If I remember correctly, when I first started using my 12.5g Mylar pouch scheme, three of the sixteen (?) tins I bagged up were compromised, i.e. no vaccuum. They were maybe three years old.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve only had 2 tins that the seal had been lost and one of them came that way from the B&M I purchased it from, I just didn’t notice it until I got home. The second I actually heard a metallic pop from the drawer I have tins in and had to dig around until I found the one that was compromised. If you’ve ever done any home canning it sounded just like the lid of a mason jar when the seal sets after coming out of the water bath.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some of my tins of SL have arrived over the years where you could smell the tobacco when you opened the shipping box. They are all in mylar bags now. It's a particular Gawith problem, as Mr. AimlessWander points out.

The MB rectangular and the round screw top tins used by most everyone else have yet to be a problem for me, and I have a large sample size to confirm it.

The best ones remain the paint can style lids used by some of the high end blenders such as Reiners. Those you can reseal airtight for many years.

I've had a tin of GH that lost its seal, and earlier this month I found a 10 year old tin of MB Navy Flake that had unsealed itself. Those are the only 2 I've had that came loose, and neither tin was a loss. Just jarred them up and moved on with my life. The Navy Flake will make a nice unexpected treat this spring.

I did buy a well aged tin of Haddo's that was dead on arrival. I considered it a fluke, but Price's situation makes me wonder if there is something about that blend that is hard on the tins. Mine included a bird feather with the rust and dried tobacco, so I chalked it up to a bad day at the factory.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Mine included a bird feather with the rust and dried tobacco

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF

Top Bottom