What's new

Have you been to any concerts/live shows recently?

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, with Buddy Miller in the band directed by T-Bone Burnett. Truly different and wonderful.

Saw John Melencamp last fall and early this year my girlfriend and I saw Robert Plant / Alison Krauss on the first stop of their world tour.

I saw Eric Clapton outside Cleveland a couple weeks ago. My wife is not a fan ,so I went with a friend of mine that's in a band. He commented that it was the best technical concert he has seen. Robert Randolph and the Family Band opened, all I can say is unreal,Hendrix on the pedal steel ....One of the best concerts ever..

When Robert Randolph gets into the groove, he's like Stevie Wonder on steroids. He starts moving all over the place. If he ever played a guitar like he does the pedal, he'd be one of the greatest guitarists ever.

Unfortunatly for me with three kids, my concert days are limited. Certainly not like back in the day. I did manage to see Genesis about 6 months ago and Jethro Tull up close and personal about a year ago....:biggrin:. Someday I'll have more time...and money...:blushing:

Went to see André Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra in Bridgeport, CT last month. Great music and a fun show. All the women in the orchestra wear 19th century ballroom dresses. The only bad thing was having to purchase the tickets from PBS.

My wife and I went to see a live broadcast of Prairie Home Companion last Saturday from Blossom Music Center near Akron. A VERY good show. Very funny. Garrisson walked around the crowd during his intro song, and went up into the lawn as well.. only it started raining.. HARD. And there was lots of thunder, which they incorporated into the show. It was a great time. Did anyone happen to be listening to it on NPR Saturday night?

-Mason

My wife and I went to see a live broadcast of Prairie Home Companion last Saturday from Blossom Music Center near Akron. A VERY good show. Very funny. Garrisson walked around the crowd during his intro song, and went up into the lawn as well.. only it started raining.. HARD. And there was lots of thunder, which they incorporated into the show. It was a great time. Did anyone happen to be listening to it on NPR Saturday night?

-Mason

*sigh* Someday I'll see a PHC show. Live radio is an absolute pleasure to listen to. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is another good show I enjoy listening to.

Kevin

Unfortunatly for me with three kids, my concert days are limited. Certainly not like back in the day. I did manage to see Genesis about 6 months ago and Jethro Tull up close and personal about a year ago....:biggrin:. Someday I'll have more time...and money...:blushing:

I saw Tull that tour outstanding. Alas Yes' tour has been canceled because Jon is sick.

A couple weeks ago my girlfriend and I went to Grand Rapids to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy outdoors at a botanical garden. Nice crowd, not too big. 1200 or so people. Sound system was pretty good.
The show was great, but then again, we're fans.

Kevin

I haven't been to a concert in 20 years or more ... the cost of tickets scares me away. When I did go see shows in person, I've been to the Rolling Stones (with Peter Tosh), Pink Floyd, Yes, Alice Cooper and more Grateful Dead shows than I can count (both whole band and solo acts.)

I do like to catch local bands when they appear at nightclubs, but its not the same as seeing a national act up close and personal. I can swing a $5 cover-charge at a club, but a $50+ concert ticket is out of reach for me.

When I did go to concerts, I got a more of a kick watching the audience than I did seeing the band perform. I especially liked the General Admission formats, and couldn't stay put in one place riveted to the stage ... I preferred to wander through the crowd.

For seated concerts, if I couldn't get up front, I tried to get seats right behind the sound-board. That always gave me a decent view and the best acoustics in the whole auditorium.

A few years ago, my wife just got out of the hospital after cancer, and she wanted to see Hootie and the Blowfish... I always thought they were....alright... but to go see them live? Well how could I say no, so we went. I have to be honest, this was probably the best concert I have been to. Sound quality was great, band was tight, vocalist sounded just like a recording (obviously live, not a recording) and even after they played all their stuff, it turned into a big party. They started doing covers of Led Zepplin, Usher, whoever did that song Blister in the Sun, hip hop medley... I couldn't believe how good these guys were. I must embarrassedly (is that a word?) highly recommend them.

-Mason

I love that program. But missed it this past Sat because I was away. But intend to catch it in person when the show comes back to New York in Dec.

Did see guitarist Steve Kimock and Friends in lil' ol' Teaneck, NJ last month.
It was un-freakin' real!

Saw Sloan last Sunday night. Pretty bad show, to be honest.

Gonna hop the pond for the next Oasis tour. Just waiting on some dates.

I know a few artists from when I was a kid and they'd come to my church. Yeah, seriously. I also know a bunch from when they'd play at Syracuse University and I was the one who'd get to interview them for one of the school magazines. I've kept in contact with most of them so they send me free tickets to all sorts of shows.

I'm single right now but there's nothing quite like telling a girl you've got front row tickets or backstage passes to (fill in name here) to get her in the mood to go out. :tongue_sm

I've caught a lot of shows recently :D most recent was some laptop wizardry at a vegan restaurant (Radha in Vancouver, really damn good (I am no vegan, either) and the music was good too), Taj Mahal (awesome), the Dave Brubeck Quartet (sublime), The Cure (was more fun a couple years ago in general admission, but still good), The Sadies (these guys just don't stop playing, and you don't want them to stop, either), Joel Plaskett (great chops live) and I'm gonna check out Jonathan Richman next week.

I mostly try to stick to clubs or small halls, seated stadium shows really aren't worth it. I only go to them if it's a band I have never seen and may never see if I don't catch them there.

I saw The National, Modest Mouse and REM in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Great show.

Yeah, I caught the start of that tour a couple weeks ago. The video setup that REM had was pretty cool. I was disappointed, Modest Mouse played a really short set in Vancouver. It was an outdoor concert with a curfew so they started early and probably everyone had short sets to get it done in time. R.E.M. was AWESOME though! They're such a hoot.

Yeah, I caught the start of that tour a couple weeks ago. The video setup that REM had was pretty cool. I was disappointed, Modest Mouse played a really short set in Vancouver. It was an outdoor concert with a curfew so they started early and probably everyone had short sets to get it done in time. R.E.M. was AWESOME though! They're such a hoot.

At the risk of raising the ire of royalcrown and you, Modest Mouse was the low point of that concert for me. I'm not overly fond of them to begin with, and found them worse live than recorded...

In Toronto I expect that it was much the same as in Vacouver. The gig started at 6:30 and was over by 11:00. The National and Modest Mouse both played short sets, and REM played a longer set. I was really impressed with The National. It was the first time I saw them live, and the emotion behind their music really shone through brilliantly. I expect that they would be even better in a smaller venue.

I will agree that REM were awesome!

Top Bottom