What's new

Have you been to any concerts/live shows recently?

Two weekends ago I saw the Chick Corea/Steve Gadd band at the Blue Note NYC. Actually, I caught a Saturday early show and then another early show that following Wednesday. I love Corea's writing and Gadd can still play well at 72. Chick is 75 and still can rip it up.

Doug Stanhope November 17, 2017 State Theater in Falls Church, Va. World class standup. Very original. Amazing venue to see standup of this quality. Very rude/crude at times, but pointed, and as he says, "my act is not for everyone."

Standup comedy is not easy and I would say, on a good night, Stanhope is as good as anyone out there these days.

I didn't know this thread was out there. Glad to know it's here. The last show I saw was the Chick Corea/Steve Gadd band at the Blue Note in NYC last month. Saw them twice, once with my son and once with my brother who was visiting from Miami. Ran into a couple of childhood friends at the show as well by coincidence. Going to see Electric Miles at the Iridium Jazz Club this Friday with Randy Brecker and Steve Smith (drummer from Journey, Vital Information, etc.). And this past Thursday I saw a band called Jay Prince and Friends at The North Star, a small restaurant in Pound Ridge, NY. The draw for me was hanging with a friend that I grew up with. We both play the drums and the drummer that night was Joel Rosenblatt. I never saw him before and he is pretty amazing. It was all covers other than one original tune and they played their butts off. Very smooth and slick but plenty of edge.

Now that Summer is kind of over, let's get this going again: Robert Plant (opening act: Sheryl Crow); Alison Krauss; Dead and Company (CitiField, Queens, NY); Rodney Crowell.

Saw Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder recently. A heck of a show. Whether you like bluegrass or not, if you appreciate sheer musical talent, you would like this concert. Those guys are all extremely gifted instrumentalists, and have great harmonies with their vocals too.

It was a small venue, about a couple of hundred people, and Skaggs and the band played their fingers off, grinning ear to ear the whole time. They started taking requests from the crowd, and knocked those requests out of the park even though they hadn't practiced them.

You got the sense that Skaggs and company would have been just as happy playing to twenty people in the parking lot. Skaggs even whooped out in the middle of one song, "I LOVE this!" and he obviously was being genuine.

If you appreciate high levels of musicianship and can tolerate bluegrass, check out a Ricky Skaggs show. It was so good, I want to see him again.

It's been two and a half years since anyone posted here, including more than a year with no shows possible. So I'll try to get this thread re-started: Saw Molly Tuttle perform last week at Ram's Head in Annapolis. She was great!

Just bought tickets for Eric Church in Vancouver. My first live show (that I'm not actually performing in) as venues open back up again is gonna be a good one!

I just got the wife tix for Blake Shelton Sept 20 ( yes I know I will be going but I dont like country music). Also just bought tix for Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Feb 2022.

Top Bottom