What's new

Old Hippie Member Interview

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Can we call you Dr. Old Hippie 😅?!

True story: My mother spent the last few years of her life in a nursing home with excellent care. Over that time I got introduced as her father, her brother (she had two sisters), her husband and as her oldest son. I was the youngest. When she nailed the introduction she would usually say, "This is my son the doctor. But he's not the kind of doctor who does anybody any good."

PS: just got into brewing cider, wine and mead. What a great pastime.

Yes, yes it is. Once the weather cools down a little I'll have to start filling carboys again!

O.H.

Old Hippie

Great interview! When you say you were a “high level window washer” do you mean tall buildings or that your window washing skills are on a plane above all others? 😄

Another true story: There was a gang of us crazies who would cheerfully go out on little rickety folding platforms called "window jacks." They could be stuck out an opened double-hung window and secured (hah!) in place with an extensible bar that kept the jack from tipping out. They allowed for washing the outside of the window when it was too far up to reach with the boom brush from the ground. We were supposed to attach a safety rope to some solid object, which was subject to some creative interpretation. A nice cast-iron radiator was ideal, but the letter of the law was satisfied if all one could find within reach was a corner leg on a desk. Never mind it'd probably rip off and pass one on the way down, but we never lost a crew.

Proper worksite planning was to arrange to start working on the north side of the building about an hour before lunch. That way one had a nice shady and often quite breezy perch from which to enjoy the view while eating a sandwich.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I thoroughly enjoyed your interview... Thanks, Phil.

You've lead an interesting life so far, Old Hippie. I'm sure you find interesting things to do now that you're retired.

It's nice having you around B&B. You're a very positive influence here.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
We have a few things in common. I too was an R. Crumb fan, I like Ravens, I was a highrise window washer, I didn't work on a fishing boat, but I did crew on a classic wooden tall ship on Lake Michigan. Thank you for sharing!

Old Hippie

Great interview @Old Hippie. You've had quite an adventure so far, and it's just getting started. But, is 61 really that old (asks another 61 year old)?

Well, it's 61 years older than I was 61 years ago. :)

I lived a little fast, earlier. Consequently I have scars and dents and a small collection of concussions (5 or 6, I kinda lose count). I guess I'm in pretty darned good shape. There are limitations I didn't have a few years ago but I spent the morning up the cliff behind my rock quarry re-jigging a section of fence. Hammered a lot of fence staples. Took a small chunk outta one finger while making Western Union splices to hook two pieces of fence fabric together. Said some words I say all the time anyway. We put a little bit of ourselves in everything we do.

The fence will now allow the local fawns to come onto the property to get some food and water and have a safe place to rest. Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund has learned not to chase deer because they come stomp on her head, which she finds unpleasant. The fence is still high enough to keep her in, which is really my first concern. Like most dachshunds she is suicidally brave and will charge a full-grown black bear barking her fool head off.

We had a doe in this morning and one of the little dudes got all balled up in the fence trying to jump back out, up hill. So that was the big deal for today. Mrs. Hippie is much happier now, though still worried about the fawn, who left bleeding pretty good after kicking free of fencing and barbed wire. She dug out some low fence fabric and got that all together while I was up the hill tottering around getting things ready.

So that pushed all the Thanksgiving cooking to tomorrow. Not a problem. I'm blown and won't have the energy for it until tomorrow, anyway.

Cheers, eh!

O.H.

Member Interviews - Meet Member Old Hippie
View attachment 1501030

@Old Hippie has been a member of B&B since Dec 23, 2018

01. How did you find Badger and Blade and why did you become a member?

A few years ago I was at a conference and dropped my electric razor. The replacement razor I bought was a piece of crap and didn’t shave close at all. I always shaved electric, but I started looking for a better shave. My Google-Fu was just good enough to get me to B&B and I’ve been here ever since. I became a member, and then a contributor, because I value the community here and the interactions I have with other members.

02. When you did or if you are working, in general what did or do you do?

JUST retired! Wow. Lots of things. I was a high level window washer; offshore fish boat crew; slash logger; and then a soldier. Then I decided to try something a little less strenuous and took a degree in journalism. I worked as a reporter and producer in magazines, radio and television for 20 years. I also did a few years as a broadcast engineer because I get along with electrons. I ran a recording studio and sold it just at the right time when digital came in. I then decided to teach journalism, so went to grad school and got the Master’s and Ph.D. and then wrapped up my career the last 16 years teaching in a small university in British Columbia.

03. What part of the country where you were born do you like the most?

I was born in the Willamette Valley of Oregon and spent a lot of my time in “Ore-Tucky” which is what we called the Coast Range mountains and valleys. I’ve lived in rain forests and deserts and high prairies in the US and Canada – I guess my favourite part at the moment is right where I am, in the North Thompson Valley north of Kamloops.

04. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I’d like to try New Zealand, but really I’m happy where I am. Except during fire season!

05. Do you have any hobbies or pastimes?

Aside from wet shaving, I’m a ham radio operator. Brewing beer and making bread (and cooking in general) are also among my favourite ways to relax.

06. Why did you choose the avatar that you have now?

I used to be a MAJOR R. Crumb fan. Still like the stuff but I’m not that kid any more. I always liked Mr. Natural, and in fact I kinda look like him with a beard and a shaved head.

So, it was a natural. 😊

07. If you could choose any person in the world, now or from the past, who would you like to sit down and have a drink with?

Nikola Tesla. I’ve spent a lot of my life studying his notes and patents and I’d like to chat with him about all that.

08. What is something you'd like to do, but have not had the opportunity to do it?

I’ve always wanted to attend the Scottish university Sabhal Mor Ostaig for a Scottish Gaelic immersion course. At my age I probably can’t learn it, but it’d be fun to try, I think.

09. What is one thing or accomplishment in your life that you are proud of?

Teaching and mentoring several hundred students over the years. Not all of them went into my profession, but many of those who did have said their mentors were crucial in helping them get a good start in a tough world. I miss that now, but it’s time to do other things.

10. What is one piece of advice that you would offer to people in general?

Lighten up, man. It’s the thing I need to hear the most often.

11. If you could have any super hero power, what would you choose?

It’s funny, but I’ve always wanted the ability to touch someone and cure all their physical or psychological problems. It’d be cool to leave people just a little better off and better adjusted just by giving them a pat on the back. Come to think of it, it already works that way. We don’t appreciate each other enough sometimes.

12. If you had to choose to be a kind of animal, what would you want to be?

Winston Churchill supposedly said, “I like pigs. Dogs look up to us; cats look down on us; pigs at least treat us as equals.” Actually? I think being a raven would be interesting. I talk to the ones around here all the time. If I start getting investment advice, though, I’m checkin’ into the funny farm.

13. What kind of music do you like?

Medieval vocal chant and Tibetan throat singing. Seriously. I like most kinds of music. “Hard Electric Texas Blues/Rock/Cowpunk” would probably be the genre that I turn up loud most often. Nothing like a punk band of old geezers. They can afford LOUD gear and their hearing’s already shot so it’s a win.

14. If you could be any movie character, who would you like to be?

I’ll expose my big secret. I really don’t like movies. I grew up with the pictures in my head from books and radio, and movies never have pictures as good so they frustrate me. Either Kimball Kinnison or Lazarus Long!

15. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the Title of that book be?

Maybe “Hold My Beer and Watch This!” I’d like it to be “Chop Wood, Carry Water.”
Excellent interview Hippie! Inspiring read as well.

Guido

What a interesting interview, thank you for taking the time to tell us about yourself!!!
”Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund has learned not to chase deer because they come stomp on her head, which she finds unpleasant. The fence is still high enough to keep her in, which is really my first concern. Like most dachshunds she is suicidally brave and will charge a full-grown black bear barking her fool head off.”

So true, so many stories of our dachshunds over the years!!! One of my favorites is when I was a teenager, our male dachshund had a German Shepard down in our back yard by the throat!!! Mom had to go out and get him or he would have ripped his throat out!!!

Tom

Top Bottom