What's new

Have you been to any concerts/live shows recently?

I'm a huge music fan. I play 3 instruments, sing opera and R&B, and in college, I was a DJ. But I especially love a good live act. I've read that with album sales down because of the digital age, bands are trying to make more money through touring. Specifically, old rockers like Genesis, the Police, the Rolling Stones, and others are touring but based on reviews, aren't cutting it anymore.

Anyway, have any of you been to any shows or concerts recently? Living near NYC, just about everyone comes to play here eventually. Sadly, I haven't been to any this year but I still have 4 months! :thumbup1:

Our local Irish Festival was a few weeks ago, where I saw Celtic Storm perform on one of the stages.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I went to see Bonnie Rait about a year ago ... fantastic show & we were in the 3rd row!!

Concerts are a huge thing for me as well. But I've been business traveling so much this summer, I missed out on some good shows (The Veils, Richmond Fontaine, Joseph Arthur).

The last show I went to was The Black Angels at the Doug Fir Lounge in Portland (a great place to see a show). That was this past spring. The next show for me will be Joan As Police Woman, again at the Doug Fir, on Sep 4.

I prefer the smaller venues -- if it holds more than 500 people I lose interest in going.

Sadly with family & work comittments I don't get out to as many shows as I would like to these days.

I did check out a live performance a few weeks ago with my kids - Ben Rudnick. His band does kids songs, many of which are to the tune of Grateful Dead songs. For example - "I Like Silver, I Like Gold" to the tune of "Aiko Aiko" (yes , not a dead original but he plays it like the dead). Other tunes had elements of Scarlet Begonias and The Other One.

Nice small venue, The kids loved the show.

The Battle Proms at Burghley Hall, Stamford, Lincolnshire England. Thousands of English men and women waving Union flags, singing Rule Britannia and revelling in being English! Great music by the English Concert Orchestra, Denise Leigh, a wonderful soprano, a New Zealander violinist of 17 who treated us to the first movement of Elgars violin concerto, Napoleonic cavalry re-enactment and a fly-past by a Spitfire, topped off by live artillery fire and a huge firework display in time with the music, Tchaikovsy's 1812. Can't wait for next year.
Do you guys have anything like that in the US?
John.

The Battle Proms at Burghley Hall, Stamford, Lincolnshire England. Thousands of English men and women waving Union flags, singing Rule Britannia and revelling in being English! Great music by the English Concert Orchestra, Denise Leigh, a wonderful soprano, a New Zealander violinist of 17 who treated us to the first movement of Elgars violin concerto, Napoleonic cavalry re-enactment and a fly-past by a Spitfire, topped off by live artillery fire and a huge firework display in time with the music, Tchaikovsy's 1812. Can't wait for next year.
Do you guys have anything like that in the US?
John.

Great Scott!!!!! Next year, I'm going, that's all there is to it, baby, I'm going.

Never even heard about it, the Battle Proms. Is that near Stamford Bridge, the site of one of the greatest battles in british history?

Oh yes, this year, I attended a concert called Werchter Classic (about 35.000 people), featuring OMD, Anouk, Pink, John Fogerty and Elton John. I will be attending one of the Police concerts in Antwerp in October.

Laughlin NV 2 weeks ago:

Blood Sweat and Tears did the 1st set and then
Chuck Negron from
Three Dog Night
did a set of his tunes with the band from BS&T

Good show that couldve been really great if the sound guy knew anything at all about his job. :thumbdown

Great Scott!!!!! Next year, I'm going, that's all there is to it, baby, I'm going.

Never even heard about it, the Battle Proms. Is that near Stamford Bridge, the site of one of the greatest battles in british history?

No, different place, Burghley Hall is the home of the Cecils. Built by Sir William Cecil, starting work about 1552. He was one of Elizabeth the firsts closest advisors.
I remember that there were Americans present this year, the place is a tourist destination.
I can guarantee that you would love it, the Hall, historic Stamford town and the Proms. Do come and welcome!
John.

PS. There may well have been Belgians too, sorry I just re-read your location.

No, different place, Burghley Hall is the home of the Cecils. Built by Sir William Cecil, starting work about 1552. He was one of Elizabeth the firsts closest advisors.
I remember that there were Americans present this year, the place is a tourist destination.
I can guarantee that you would love it, the Hall, historic Stamford town and the Proms. Do come and welcome!
John.

Hehehe, I'm not from the ol' US of A. But it's ok, I forgive you.

I saw Eric Clapton a few weeks back in Houston. Awesome show.

I also second Billy Joel, I saw him a few years ago in San Antonio with Elton John and despite Sir Elton's reputation as the showman, Billy schooled him.

We went to Germanfest in Quincy, IL Saturday night. They had some band there playing polka and other german songs. They were pretty good, and the beer was good and cold.

I see TONS of live music. Lets see if I can remember what I've seen recently and not recently

Page Mcconnell (Twice over the summer - Atlanta and Asheville)
Jeff Sipe with special guest Jeff Coffin (of Bela Fleck) - Greenville last Tuesday
Yonder Mountain String Band (seen them probably 10 times, twice in the past year. Seen them in Asheville, Atlanta, Charleston, Auburn and Bonnaroo)
Derek Trucks Band (2 times last semester)

Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello are coming here to Clemson sometime this semester...Don't really know how good that will be though. As good as Bob Dylan is, I've heard its much more of a nostalgia act now. Elvis Costello should be good though.

Other bands I enjoy seeing, but haven't seen in at least a year are:

Allman Brothers Band, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Dave Matthews, Trey Anastasio, String Cheese Incident (they just broke up this summer), Widespread Panic (blah), Rolling Stones, Jack Johnson, Victor Wooten, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Allison Krauss, Soulive, Phil Lesh and Friends, Benevento Russo Duo

Top Bottom