What's new

Fruity February

20230206_141851-01.jpeg

As announced earlier in this thread I added a drop of orange essential oil into the Tabac leather... 🍊👍😎
Smells nicer than one would expect by the description only... 😄

20230206_142826-01.jpeg

Fruity February features Black Ship Grooming "Thomas Tew" today, tomorrow and Friday - a tard, clean and fresh orange/citrusy type scent...

Edit:
From the BSG webpage:

Thomas Tew is a bright blend of Oranges, Blood Oranges, lemons and dark amber all lightly surrounded by Sandalwood for a special blend that will make your senses come alive. Captain Tew is a great citrus scent that we know you'll love. Bright and crisp are two great ways to explain it.

Didn't really noticed the non-fruity notes tbh. It is indeed a bright citrusy scent... a really enjoyable one.

Finished the shave with Stirling Soap Company Orange Chill AS... and topped all this with Terre d'Hermes.

I smell divine now... 🍊🍋
😎👍

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
Above The Tie G1
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (9)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky

In my exuberance to try my new razor, I skipped my additional whisker soaking. Between that and the used condition of the blade, I gave myself a terrible first impression aside from noticing the ATT G1 clamps the blade tighter than the Ever-Ready 1912 and GEM MMOC and its scalloped cap looks and feels great. Switched the blade to the MMOC and familiarity seemed to improve the shave, but I gave myself some razor burn.

So more and/or better prep before my next shave Probably should change the blade, too. Or resharpen it.

SOTD February 8th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February

Hello friends!

I started the morning looking for a fruity lather and…well, I guess technically an almond is a fruit, isn’t it?

I had a DFS with Cella, Floïd, EJ89 and Nacet (5), a blade that is not the sharpest nor the smoothest, but for me it is the most reliable. I never had a bad shave with it, never mind the razor. The brush was the Omega Pro 48 that I use in the old-fashioned way of Italian barbers, holding the knot with my fingertips so as not to spread too much.

Take care and have a great shave!
❤️ 🪒

0A291B9C-727D-41DE-A844-674A88662EFF.jpeg
F3368FBD-CED3-4E99-A4DD-00C502FF8A0F.jpeg

One Blade In Fruity February
I have almost gotten all of the Night Music Stink out of my brush. As much fun as it was to use my Gillette New LC for a couple of shaves, I noticed an instant difference in smoothness and cutting quality with my Tech today.

Prep: hot water and moisturizer soap wash alternating with steam treatment.
Blade: Feather, shave #209
Razor: Gillette Early Postwar Tech, ballend handle
Soap: Mike’s Natural Lime
Lathers: Three and a half.
Results: DFS++

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One Blade Down In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (10)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower plus face wash with glycerin soap plus a few minutes of waterboarding
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

I didn’t try “it all,” but I tried more. Refreshed the edge on a loaded strop. Rubbed glycerin soap on my whiskers after showering and before soaking them with a warm, damp washcloth, and hydrated my lather a bit more than I had been. Focused on lightening my touch and shifting angles of attack (ATTACK!) whenever any stroke didn’t feel smooth.

Clevern’t

I mauled myself less than the previous shave and the edge was clearly sharper and crisper than the shave before, but too dull for my abilities to use safely. And I was too dull to save its spine for a RIGS shim ( a shimming method for modern GEM blades pioneered by @Ron R ).

Only eight days into “One Blade In February” and I couldn’t gatekeep, gaslight, or girlboss further shaves out of the blade without an exorbitant cost to pay in flesh.

So I have twenty days left for the new blade and will see if I’m better able to tolerate “Aloe 100% Gel” as a pre-shave (that’s the sleazy bit of marketing on the bottle that sparks joy) than last time. The fresh blade is likely enough, but I’ve got that new bar of soap and more than one brush…

Top Bottom