What's new

Fruity February

SOTD February 8th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February

Hello friends!

I started the morning looking for a fruity lather and…well, I guess technically an almond is a fruit, isn’t it?

I had a DFS with Cella, Floïd, EJ89 and Nacet (5), a blade that is not the sharpest nor the smoothest, but for me it is the most reliable. I never had a bad shave with it, never mind the razor. The brush was the Omega Pro 48 that I use in the old-fashioned way of Italian barbers, holding the knot with my fingertips so as not to spread too much.

Take care and have a great shave!
❤️ 🪒

View attachment 1602623View attachment 1602624
Honestly...I always think of chocolate covered cherries when I use Cella red.
Nice Paladin brush. How big is the knot?...Can you believe I have used a straight razor for about 2 weeks now!

Honestly...I always think of chocolate covered cherries when I use Cella red.

Nice Paladin brush. How big is the knot?...Can you believe I have used a straight razor for about 2 weeks now!
That's Awesome John !

That Paladin Chief is 26mm, pictured next to the 28mm M&F 2XL and the Wee Scot which is 1/2 its size :eek2:
I'm still conditioning/breaking in the Sabini knot using my standard MWF process. The Paladin yesterday was better than I anticipated :applause:
IMG_0598.JPG

One Blade In Fruity February

An earlier than usual shave. Finally, I got the stink from that other soap out of my brush.🤢

Prep: hot water and moisturizer soap wash alternating with steam treatment.
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless, shave #210
Razor: Gillette Early Postwar Tech, ballend handle
Soap: Mike’s Natural Lime
Brush: Two Tiered Badger
Lathers: Two and a half.
Results: DFS++/BBS-

Fruity today indeed!

Officina Artigiana Stay Traditional cream which is fantastic. More like a soap/croap. Great performance and a great fresh citrus scent. Matches well with the grapefruity Ethos Greenfresh AS. these two were made for each other and I highly recommend both brands.

Spiffo Silvertip brush, Wolfman WR2 1.35 with a Nacet and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP.

BD8DD50F-CCE3-4F20-AB06-B675D8A7CDB1.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Another One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with Ω ΞVO and dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

I was given pre-shower pre-shave prep advice in The Micromatic Monday thread and I’m pretty sure it worked. A first-use GEM without corking or palm-stropping benefited from it. And it was tougher to use a light enough touch than I expected. Hopefully next time.

SOTD February 10th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February

Hello friends!

This is a sunny summer morning, here. Today, I tried for the first time a MdC. Following the advice of a fellow shaver on YouTube, I chose a synthetic brush for it. The lather was instantaneous. The smell of lavender and rosemary sent me straight to the French Riviera. Although the protection was not as good has MWF, Tabac, Haslinger or a mutton Stirling, MdC came to be part of my den. And I reckon for the way the level of the soap remais intact it will be eith me from here to eternity, like Frank Sinatra, Deborah Kerr and Burt Lancaster…
The fruity section of my shave was represented by Citrus Musk that matched the soap extremely well.

To complete this wonderful event, Ben Webster was playing the tenor…

Have a great friday and wonderful shave!
❤️🪒

E3DD24C1-6FAE-4ABC-B0CF-9444B18FC019.jpeg
EE7A7981-1E60-456E-BC06-D9C8EA75D25E.jpeg

Last edited:
Fruity Friday!

B&M O, Delight soap and balm (orange/apricot), Gillette Slim with a 7 O’Clock Yellow blade and a Spiffo Manchurian brush.

Armani Stronger With You Intensely EDP to top it all off. Top note is pink pepper and believe it or not, PEPPERCORN IS A FRUIT! Seriously, I checked. 👍

C528EF8E-2BE4-46FB-9DC7-AF2D076BA0E9.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Another One Blade In Fruity February

Tonight’s decadent shave
ATT G1
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with Ω ΞVO and dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

Wee Scot was having ends break off in soap puck yesterday so I did my best approximation of this from @NiOOH and the brush was back to life tonight.

Used the Above The Tie G1 and though the exposed corners are dangerous, it holds the blade better than an unmodified Micromatic. Had a WTG/XTG/ATG + ATG cleanups shave and it was awesome! No aftershave sting and mostly clean finish. Pleasant way to end the day.

If this blade ever wears out, I hope I have the presence of mind to harvest its aluminum backing. Reasons.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Is Orange Creamsicle a fruit? I think so!

If you have ever had an adult drink called a Ramos Gin Fizz, you know it smells and tastes like one thing… an Orange Creamsicle. And this scent from The Holy Black hits that mark in spades! THB is awesome. The soap has a superior lather. The tonic is bourbon based, rather than simple alcohol. Which feels amazing on the face. And both smell ridiculously like an Orange Creamsicle, in a good way. There is only one problem with this stuff… good luck getting some. Ramos Gin Fizz is only released in small batches during THB’s Secret Stash Drops. And those sell out in minutes. But it’s worth the effort to hunt this stuff down. It is always in my top three soaps and splashes. Always. And it’s been in my top rotation for many years.

Stay smooth!

Rudy Vey 2022 Contributor’s STF
The Holy Black Ramos Gin Fizz soap
Wolfman WR2 1.15
Platinum light blue box
The Holy Black Ramos Gin Fizz aftershave tonic

7A728F21-7A52-4F3D-8FE1-F6870C66D36C.jpeg

It's been a very busy week, so I'm playing catch up. Tuesday's shave was plum based. The strongest two notes I get off of the popular PdP 63 are cedar and plum. When I first got the tin and opened the packaging the plum was extremely strong. The Sweet Rum is black berries, black currants, and plum. When I first got the aftershave my reaction was that I could take it or leave it---nice but not in my favorites range. My wife walked into the room and immediately was asking "What's that smell? That smells really good!" She's a big fan.

The SCS razor and a nacet is a nice pair. I rarely use anything but the Yaqi Timberwolf.

thumbnail_IMG_1539.jpg

Friday's shave was inspired by @Crisp Rat . I used the Bay Laurel last year for April Frugal Follies. There's a solid base of orange in this soap, and it's only fitting that it gets followed by some Lucky Tiger. I don't have a proper handle from my Old Type, but I make do with a fat tech handle. Yaqi Timberwolf as always. I still have two orange based soaps to go!

thumbnail_IMG_1540.jpg

It Was An Excellent Shave.
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF Challenge...
Also, Semogue Saturdays!

PXL_20230210_194613900.jpg

RazoRock Hawk
Feather AC Pro (11)
TOBS Grapefruit
Semogue SOC

Hey Guys
We're going to get our 94 years young mom today. She is a football fan and wants to watch the Super Bowl with us.

I have been using the Feather DX straight razor for 10+ days. I love it!
I decided to change things up a bit. Today I used the RR Hawk-the only other razor I have that uses Artist Club single edge blades. As I said above, it was an excellent shave-mostly BBS. On the first pass there was some auditory feedback but the blade was cutting effectively. I hydrated the lather more for the second pass and with a few touchups ended with a BBS/DFS++ with no irritation. It has been a while since I used a razor perpendicular to my hand but the technique kicked in and I enjoyed the entire process. After an hour soak, the Semogue SOC is finally broken in enough to earn the highest tier status.

Tomorrow is Synthetic Sundays.
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Top Bottom