What's new

Czardom of Cheddar's 2011 Winter PIF

Congrats Captain K! Thank you Swampfox for a fun PIF!

You're welcome!

[ACCEPTANCE_SPEECH] I'd like to thank everybody for the congratulations. And, I'd like to thank Swampfox for the fun and challenging history lesson, and the awesome prize package. But, most of all, I want to thank Night Crawler for the win! :thumbup1: [/ACCEPTANCE_SPEECH]

:lol::lol::lol:

Congrats CaptainK....enjoy the gear.

Night Crawler sends his deepest regrets, but says that no one can know the will of a Basement Cat....not even a Basement Cat. :blink:

I am so sorry everyone - I meant to post this a while ago. The package arrived safe and sound. All I can say is - wow! I forgot how many good things were in there! Many gracious thanks to all who contributed, and to Night Crawler! :thumbup1:

I am so sorry everyone - I meant to post this a while ago. The package arrived safe and sound. All I can say is - wow! I forgot how many good things were in there! Many gracious thanks to all who contributed, and to Night Crawler! :thumbup1:

So, tell us, have you been trying out the razor? How do you like it? Inquiring minds want to know if you sliced yourself up. :biggrin1:

So, tell us, have you been trying out the razor? How do you like it? Inquiring minds want to know if you sliced yourself up. :biggrin1:
Wow - apologies again. I know this sounds blasphemous, but I haven't been shaving on a regular basis lately. Being unemployed can be quite depressing at times, and sometimes you just don't bother. On the other hand, it's not all bad. I wanted to have some shaves under my belt with this before reporting.

The first shave had to tackle several days of growth. Loaded the GEM Damaskeene SE with a Ted Pella blade and set it to work. During the first pass, I experienced a little more tugging and pulling than I'm used to. It also felt a little strange; as if the edge of the blade caught in some whiskers and lifted a little from the razor whenever, at the end of a stroke through a thick area, I pulled the razor away from my face. I thought, "Well, I'm not going to like this too much." But, the second pass felt cleaner - as if it the first pass had removed more than usual. Huh! Finished the shave with one less pass than usual (to be safe with a new razor), and still ended with a DFS. Sweet! :001_smile

I used the QCS Briar for this shave. The name didn't clue me in as to what to expect, scent-wise, until I lathered it up. Ah! It obviously wants to be a cherry pipe tobacco scent! (I love pipe tobacco scents! :thumbup1:) Unfortunately, I noticed a lot of cherry and very little tobacco. To be honest, I think it's more of a cherry almond than a cherry tobacco. Don't get me wrong - the scent is great! I'm just not sure the name fits. But, the lather - oh, that lather! Wow! This is my first experience with QCS cream soaps, and I must tip my hat to Matt! :thumbup:

I've used this razor a few times since, and it's been performing great. It's a little different than a DE, and I'm not certain I've learned all the nuances. Once I can get consistent DFS/BBS shaves, I'll start doing comparisons between it and my Merkur HD. SE is definitely a different animal, albeit only slightly, but it can certainly hold its own amongst the best.

Thanks once again to all who contributed for giving me the opportunity to experience this! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom