What's new

Corona Virus - Anyone Else Monitoring It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fake?

CNN... aren't they one of the ones who spread fake news about Sandman (the Covington High School kid)? I hear they settled out of court.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One confirmed case in my city now.

London Case 1.jpg

Anyone tracking this will be aware of the discussions over whether the official Chinese figures are reliable. The conspiracy types flat out don't trust the government, while the more conservative guys just point to likely problems e.g. test kit shortages & test result reliability affecting the figures for both deaths and confirmed cases.

Now in mainstream media there's this:

One of the docs who tried to raise the alarm early and was suppressed has now died of the disease. He was apparently 34 years old. The most interesting bit in the article for me is that he claimed he was tested multiple times for the virus and the tests repeatedly came back negative.

Even if you exclude any political / economic factors, this surely calls into question the accuracy of the official figures.

That said, I'm still not sure if I'd be prepared to use a feminine hygiene product as an improvised face mask.

Professor Neil Ferguson from Imperial College London, talking about accuracy of figures, difficulty of estimating figures etc:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
US$675 million needed for new coronavirus preparedness and response global plan
Urgent support needed to protect vulnerable countries from outbreak
5 February 2020
News release

Geneva, Switzerland
  • العربية
  • 中文
  • Français
  • Русский
  • Español
To fight further spread of the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak in China and globally, and protect states with weaker health systems, the international community has launched a US$675 million preparedness and response plan covering the months of February through to April 2020.
“My biggest worry is that there are countries today who do not have the systems in place to detect people who have contracted with the virus, even if it were to emerge,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General. “Urgent support is needed to bolster weak health systems to detect, diagnose and care for people with the virus, to prevent further human to human transmission and protect health workers.”
The Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan (SPRP) for the new coronavirus lays out activities and resources needed by international health organizations globally, including WHO, to implement priority public health measures in support of countries to prepare and respond to nCoV-2019 for a period February-April 2020. The objectives of the plan are to limit human-to-human transmission of the virus, particularly in countries most vulnerable if they were to face an outbreak; identify, isolate and care for patients early; communicate critical risk and event information; minimize social and economic impact; reduce virus spread from animal sources; and address crucial unknowns.
The plan focuses on:
  • Rapidly establishing international coordination and operational support;
  • Scaling up country readiness and response operations;
  • Accelerating priority research and innovation.
“The effectiveness of outbreak response depends on the preparedness measures put in place before outbreaks strike,” said Dr Mike Ryan, head of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme. “That is why we are seeking resources to safeguard the most vulnerable countries to protect people from the new coronavirus before it arrives on the doorstep.”
As noted in the SPRP, WHO assesses that the outbreak poses a very high risk in China, and high risk regionally and globally. The risk assessment was based on factors including the likelihood of further spread, the potential impact on human health, and the varying levels of effectiveness in national preparedness and response measures. Accelerated action, as called for in the plan, can address these risks and areas requiring support.
As of 10 a.m. Central European Time on 5 February, 25 countries have reported confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, including China, where 24,363 people had contracted the virus, or over 99% of all cases. In all other countries, 191 cases have contracted the virus.

Subscribe to our newsletters →

Media Contacts

Tarik Jasarevic
Spokesperson / Media Relations
WHO
Telephone: +41227915099
Mobile: +41793676214
Email: [email protected]

Christian Lindmeier
Communications Officer
WHO
Telephone: +41 22 791 1948
Mobile: +41 79 500 6552
Email: [email protected]
Related
News

WHO to accelerate research and innovation for new coronavirus6 February 2020

Statement on the second meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)30 January 2020

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What has me upset with this virus is the the Philippines government have bared entry to all people who have recently visited Hong Kong, Macau and China.

I live in the Philippines and had an appointment with Sam's Taylor in Hong Kong later this month for a bespoke lounge suit. Looks like I will have to forgo that appointment and wait until things settle down. Then there will be a few months wait before I can get another appointment.

In my opinion, all it will take to trigger hoarding food is some major news agency deciding they can make a profit by devoting half of their medium to the Coronavirus. Time for me to beat the street on my response.

I'm retired, so if I have enough food, I never have to leave the house...except for unforeseen circumstances.

This article is somewhat dense, but it explains how memes spread. One good meme is all it will take.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Small sample I know but I have daily contact with over 20 Chinese nationals and not one of them has a friend or family member that has the corona virus nor do they know of anybody firsthand with the virus. Guangdong, Zhejiang and Anhui provinces. Government is allowing many regions back to work next Monday but I heard reports that some areas may not crank back up until 3/1.

CIDRAP News, based at the University of Minnesota, is a very good, very trustworthy source for 2019-nCoV news.

Truth in advertising: I work for CIDRAP News....but I'm not covering the coronavirus.

Monitoring closely as I am flying back to PA from the Philippines tomorrow. Thankful that I booked my connection through Tokyo and not Hong Kong. Most people here are wearing masks and coronavirus and volcanoes are dominating the news. Hoping for an uneventful day of travel.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Small sample I know but I have daily contact with over 20 Chinese nationals and not one of them has a friend or family member that has the corona virus nor do they know of anybody firsthand with the virus. Guangdong, Zhejiang and Anhui provinces. Government is allowing many regions back to work next Monday but I heard reports that some areas may not crank back up until 3/1.
Small sample or not, it's probably more "real" news than a lot of the real news outlets put out there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Monitoring closely as I am flying back to PA from the Philippines tomorrow. Thankful that I booked my connection through Tokyo and not Hong Kong. Most people here are wearing masks and coronavirus and volcanoes are dominating the news. Hoping for an uneventful day of travel.
Amen.

It's kinda weird not seeing news of unrest in Hong Kong...

Well, personally I'm much more concerned about the starting influenza epidemic here in Germany; and again, it is likely that the vaccinations won't work, because they, again, miscalculated the virus type that actually will hit.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Friday Feb7 2020 903AM EST..jpg

3,179 new cases in the last 25 hours. The last 2-3 days have shown a pretty steady increase. 12 cases in the US and 7 now in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom