What's new

Corona Virus - Anyone Else Monitoring It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Hell, Texas had 2500 road deaths last year.
I know why. Was on crappy, narrow two lane roads where the speed limit is 75. I have no issues with speeds that fast on decent roads, but was surprised they set the limit at 75 and then ***** about their high number of fatalities via billboards on the same road. As Gomer Pyle would say.... Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

China is still trying to suppress news about this from getting out but
twitter is where the real reporting is from everyday citizens of these cities.
Looks like a full blown crisis there...very sad to see how the medical staff
are struggling...they are just overwhelmed and putting themselves at great
risk to take care of things.

Due to the global nature of commerce a lot of countries were a bit slack to react
because they dont want to **** off China...or harm their own industries that
depend on china like tourism etc.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Due to the global nature of commerce a lot of countries were a bit slack to react
I think as a country your number one focus should be keep your own citizens safe. Let the chips fall where they may economically. Then as you can safely do so, render whatever aid you can.

China may turn out to be their own worst enemy in fighting this by playing games with facts as they are wont to do on many fronts.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If the reports of the fatalities in China are to be believed, I am simply amazed at how fast the death toll has risen.

A pandemic is a real possibility.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Its not easy getting into the habit of being vigilant in regards to preventing the spread of such things. For the last 2-3 years I've made a point of not touching my face: eyes, nose, mouth, ears, after I've gone out grocery shopping or whatever until I get back home. The first thing I do when I come in the door is wash my hands well with soap and hot water.

We're so use to touching our faces during the normal course of a day that when you really try not to, its surprising how often you actually do. Being vigilant is the best defense.
This. Absolutely. I became much healthier AFTER I became a nurse. Standard precautions. Or universal precautions? The term changed sometime during my career.

Anyhoo: my training about micro biology has kept me from colds and flus most of the time, even when the rest of the folks around me are ill.

And stop shaking hands!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I joke sometimes that I'm like Howard Hughes without the billions. Pet the dog, wash hands, touch public doors, push open with elbow, leave restrooms by using towel on knob and so on. I do notice I seem to get less colds and illnesses compared to many around me.

I joke sometimes that I'm like Howard Hughes without the billions. Pet the dog, wash hands, touch public doors, push open with elbow, leave restrooms by using towel on knob and so on. I do notice I seem to get less colds and illnesses compared to many around me.
I sorta agree with that I do the same and I’m currently sick I have a cold and it’s the middle of bloody summer in aus

I do the same. It's crazy how often I used to get sick when I was in school.

And stop shaking hands!

Yep. I've always thought that business-type meetings are a great way to catch a bug. People shaking hands, people handling the same drinks dispensers etc. and any precaution-taking would be seen as rude/weird. I used to groan whenever a delegation from London came up to the Scottish firms I used to work at; a wave of colds/flu would inevitably follow shortly afterwards. The German cases to date seem to have sprung from exactly that situation.

Maybe more of that up to two week incubation period. That allows a number of "sleeper" cases where people look healthy but are infected.

What's made countries slack is we've forgotten epidemics and pandemics. That in itself says good things, but as late as the 1960s, quarantines weren't unusual.

Yep. I've always thought that business-type meetings are a great way to catch a bug. People shaking hands, people handling the same drinks dispensers etc. and any precaution-taking would be seen as rude/weird. I used to groan whenever a delegation from London came up to the Scottish firms I used to work at; a wave of colds/flu would inevitably follow shortly afterwards. The German cases to date seem to have sprung from exactly that situation.

Our church likes to have a "greet your neighbor" session during services where you shake hands with others in the congregation. Once pretended sneezing in my hand before extending it to the preacher, and he thought it was funny, but still insists on the "greet your neighbor" sessions.

A certain US president (not the current and name's not important), was a bit offended when he noticed the outgoing president discretely applying hand sanitizer after shaking his hand. Many handshakes later, he himself picked up the habit.

If this becomes a long drawn out situation, you cant help but wonder how this is going to affect a global event like the Olympics this year.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As I understand it, MERS, SARS and 2019-nCoV have all come from bats. The first coronavirus case apparently came from an open air market. I assume said market has a roof and I further assume bats roost from the roof. Given the obvious implications, its no surprise something has happened. It's really not much different than the e-coli breakouts from lettuce and some other produce thats in the news so often the last few years.

More than 20,000 cases now being reported, with 11 in the US. Up from 9 yesterday.

Feb.4 2020 8AM EST.jpg

For a comparison, this on Jan.31.

Screenshot_2020-01-31 This map tracks the coronavirus in real time(1).png

14,623 new cases in less than four days.

Anyone can make these fake headlines. Even me! :001_tt2:

breaking-news(1).jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Our church likes to have a "greet your neighbor" session during services where you shake hands with others in the congregation. Once pretended sneezing in my hand before extending it to the preacher, and he thought it was funny, but still insists on the "greet your neighbor" sessions.

Ours does too. I don't like it one bit. i've declined before saying I'm sick when people around me visibly had colds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom