What's new

Anyone else here ditched the TV?

When you think about it, saying on the internet "I've ditched the TV" is sort of like saying "I gave up coffee" while smoking crystal meth. The internet IS the 'TV' of this generation. You haven't given up on anything. You're staring at your phone all day and it's significantly more indoctrinating and life altering.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
TV, internet, whatever... it's really just one's choice in entertainment. Radio used to be "the" thing, then tv, now the internet/streaming. You may have changed the mode of consumption, but it's still entertainment. As donkey says... "who don't like parfait?"

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When you think about it, saying on the internet "I've ditched the TV" is sort of like saying "I gave up coffee" while smoking crystal meth. The internet IS the 'TV' of this generation. You haven't given up on anything. You're staring at your phone all day and it's significantly more indoctrinating and life altering.

That's my next project :D

I don't use social media, other than a couple of forums, and am trying to get a 4G phone that isn't riddled with apps that help themselves to your data. I've seen a couple of feature phones such as Nokia's new 8810, but although it isn't a smartphone, it comes infested with Google stuff, so that's no better. Nokia 220 looks stalker free, but haven't found one in the UK yet.

If I wanted a tracking device, I'd be a criminal. They fit you with one for free.

That's my next project :D

I don't use social media, other than a couple of forums, and am trying to get a 4G phone that isn't riddled with apps that help themselves to your data. I've seen a couple of feature phones such as Nokia's new 8810, but although it isn't a smartphone, it comes infested with Google stuff, so that's no better. Nokia 220 looks stalker free, but haven't found one in the UK yet.

If I wanted a tracking device, I'd be a criminal. They fit you with one for free.

Apple is your best option if personal data privacy is your thing.

TV, internet, whatever... it's really just one's choice in entertainment. Radio used to be "the" thing, then tv, now the internet/streaming. You may have changed the mode of consumption, but it's still entertainment. As donkey says... "who don't like parfait?"

Bread and circuses in all shapes and forms. I personally enjoy the radio and the internet. TV not so much.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
TV - yes
Cable - yes
Social Media - nope
Internet - the biggest bandwidth available
Netflix - nope

We really watch very little TV that is not available with a basic cable or satellite package.

Lots and lots of DVDs are our movie library.

I'd rather spend my time listening to music.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Apple is your best option if personal data privacy is your thing.

Ask Jennifer Lawrence and many others about that.

What aggravates me about Apple devices is the need to use iTunes and iCloud. Any and all internet storage devices are vulnerable. The only way to keep data truly safe is to put it on a wired device and disconnect it from the internet.

Almost everything I do is internet based. Movies, tv shows and music. They all come from the internet and are streamed from my PC to my tv and/or stereo.

If it weren't for my wife, I'd dump tv, cable & streaming in a heartbeat. The only tv my wife and I watch together are Brit, Aussie or NZ shows on Netflix, Acorn, Britbox or Hulu. US tv is all mindless cr*p. We've had Netflix for a very long time, first 1, then 3 dvd rental, then streaming, but when Father Brown leaves Netflix soon, it's gone. All this streaming original programing suc*s. We have Hulu only because my wife (not me) watches Mom. That would be the 3rd, after FIOS, Netflix, I'd dump. While I still enjoy Brokenwood Mysteries (Acorn), Shakespeare & Hathaway (Britbox), and Midsomer Murders, I could manage to live without them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The number of pay to subscribe streaming TV services is crazy and its only the start!

I just started a show last night thats on YouTube Premium, season 2 of Impulse. Its a good show, but how many streaming services does one need to subscribe to just to watch shows they might like?

Even CBS now has a streaming network channel, CBS All Access, with choices of how many commercials you want to tolerate lol. "Commercial Free" for $9.99/month or "Limited Commercials" for $5.99/month. I see a trend there...

The number of hands trying to get into everyones pockets is sickening.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The only way to keep data truly safe is to put it on a wired device and disconnect it from the internet.

Back in the day, we'd call that a "book".

1572020693458.png

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The number of pay to subscribe streaming TV services is crazy and its only the start!
Cable can be spendy but I’d rather have one provider than a multitude. If I only liked on niche of programming then I might feel differently. But I am not willing to pay a bunch of providers for a more fragmented viewing experience.

I’ve known a few that pirated all their content. In the end it was no cheaper for them because the stored it on a server overseas to stay out of reach and all of their bandwidth cost. Silly

Our TV is only a monitor for a DVD player. I never invested in the HD antenna as I didn't think that TV was worth the $40 it would have cost. When I've been at motels with 120 or whatever channels, it is rare that I find anything that I want to watch.

+5 (I lost my coffee when I read this.)

Top Bottom