What's new

A total Solar Eclipse [this] April 8 2024 will cross 13 US States: Which ones are on the path?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Be sure to mark you calendars this April 8th 2024 and don't miss that Monday's Total Solar Eclipse! :thumbsup:

Story by Eric Lagatta - USA TODAY - 27 Jan 24

"On April 8, skygazers along the wide-sweeping arc of the Great North American Eclipse's path will step outside to catch a rare glimpse of the sun while the Earth becomes shrouded in darkness.

For just the second time in seven years, day will suddenly become night for a few brief, wondrous minutes as the orbiting moon blocks the sun's light along a southwest-to-northeast path across the continent.

Millions of people already reside along the path of totality stretching from Texas to Maine in the U.S. And in the months ahead, countless tourists eager to witness the spectacular event are expected to make a journey to one of the many cities that will experience the eclipse.

Here's what to know about the total solar eclipse's path of totality, and how you can prepare to see it as it passes over Mexico, the United States and Canada:

proxy.php

Those hoping to take a gander at the Total Eclipse need to don proper protection first. 👓

What is a total solar eclipse?

Any celestial object like a moon or a planet that passes between two other bodies can create an eclipse by obscuring the view of objects like the sun.

A total eclipse occurs when the moon appears as the same size as the sun and blocks the entire disk, leading to a period of darkness lasting several minutes. The resulting "totality," whereby observers can see the outmost layer of the sun's atmosphere known as the corona, confuses animals – causing nocturnal creatures to stir and bird and insects to fall silent.

When a solar eclipse reaches totality, scientists are also presented with an uncommon opportunity to study the corona that is usually shielded by the sun's bright surface.

You may remember that only last October, something call an annular solar eclipse passed over the United States.

At the time, the moon wasn't close enough in its orbit of our planet to completely block out the sunlight when it passed between the sun and Earth. Instead, the eclipse resulted in a "ring of fire" effect when the moon appeared as a smaller disk in front of the sun, creating a bright halo of light.

proxy.php

What is the eclipse's path of totality?
proxy.php

The 115-mile-wide path of totality will cross North America, passing over Mexico, a wide swath of the the United States and Canada.

A map of North America shows the path of the total solar eclipse of April 8, 2024.

Mexico's pacific coast will be the first location in continental North America to experience totality, which will occur at about 11:07 a.m. PDT, according to NASA.

The longest duration will be near Torreon in Mexico at 4 minutes and 27 seconds, almost double that of 2017, according to estimates from eclipse cartographer Michael Zeiler at GreatAmericanEclipse.com.

Where can I see the eclipse in the U.S.
proxy.php

proxy.php

In the United States alone, 31 million people already live inside the path of totality, according to the Great American Eclipse. Of course, that figure doesn't even account for the tourists sure to flock from all over for a chance to be there when darkness falls.

As the moon's shadow travels northeast, totality in the U.S. will begin in Texas as it cuts diagonally across the country and eventually enters the maritime provinces of Canada.

The Great North American Eclipse, as it's known, will trace a narrow path of totality across 13 U.S. states. Small parts of Tennessee and Michigan will also experience the eclipse, NASA says.

Here are the major cities in each state where you can expect to experience totality in the United States (note that the included times do not account for when the partial eclipse begins and ends):
  • Dallas, Texas: 1:40-1:44 p.m. CDT
  • Idabel, Oklahoma: 1:45-1:49 p.m. CDT
  • Little Rock, Arkansas: 1:51-1:54 p.m. CDT
  • Poplar Bluff, Missouri: 1:56-2:00 p.m. CDT
  • Paducah, Kentucky: 2-2:02 p.m. CDT
  • Carbondale, Illinois: 1:59-2:03 p.m. CDT
  • Evansville, Indiana: 2:02-2:05 p.m. CDT
  • Cleveland, Ohio: 3:13-3:17 p.m. EDT
  • Erie, Pennsylvania: 3:16-3:20 p.m. EDT
  • Buffalo, New York: 3:18-3:22 p.m. EDT
  • Burlington, Vermont: 3:26-3:29 p.m. EDT
  • Lancaster, New Hampshire: 3:27-3:30 p.m. EDT
  • Caribou, Maine: 3:32-3:34 p.m. EDT
Unlike other solar eclipses, a total eclipse offers spectators a chance to gaze upon the spectacular sight with the naked eye.

However, you'll have to wait for the proper moment before removing your protective eyewear to avoid exposing yourself to the sun's powerful retina-damaging rays. You'll know its safe to fully take in the display when the moon blocks the sun's face and the sky turns dark, leaving only the solar corona visible.

But until that moment, NASA still advises spectators to ensure they have the safe – and simple – equipment needed for
solar viewing.

Certified eyewear is held to an international safety standard and is 100,000 times darker than most sunglasses to block nearly all visible, infrared and ultraviolet light. To make it easy, the American Astronomical Society maintains a curated list
of approved vendors.

Another simple method is to create your own pinhole projector to project the sun onto a nearby surface. The American Astronomical Society helpfully offers instructions to set them up.

NOTE: If you miss this years Eclipse...the other Total Solar Eclipses for the following 10yrs is as follows;

Aug 12, 2026
Aug 2, 2027
Jul 22, 2028
Nov 25, 2030
Nov 14, 2031
Mar 30, 2033
Mar 20, 2034

Works Cited: 8 April 2024 Total Solar Eclipse's Path of Totality

proxy.php
"It's only during an [total] eclipse that the person in the moon has a place in the sun" Author Unknown

We caught the last total eclipse 4 years ago and our minds were blown for the 1:15 minutes. This 4 minute one should be truly fantastic! If any of you can walk, drive, ride or fly to the path, it will be very much worth the experience. The silencing of the dogs, cows, birds and humans was incredible not to mention the umbrella of darkness. Thanks for the post!

I barely was able to appreciate the one back in 99 in France, I took my day off back in October when it opened up, ain't gonna miss the opportunity to fully enjoy it this time around.

I was into photography and astronomy in the 70s. No matter where we lived, NJ, KY or FL, skies were always cloudy during the celestial events I wanted to capture. I finally just gave up.

I live south of Cleveland and it’s literally a daily topic for the news stations. They are expecting huge crowds and the local officials are asking people to work from home if they are able, due to excess traffic.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I live between Dallas, TX and Idabel, OK (closer to Idabel) so I'll just watch it from my front porch. I may put up a sign and charge people to park their RVs in my pasture or set up lawn chairs. :biggrin1:
Simon:
1700804969124-png.1753175
...and charge $10 'a head'! :lol:

1710189034952.jpeg

proxy.php
"It's only during an [total] eclipse that the person in the moon has a place in the sun" Author Unknown

Just for those that have never experienced a TOTAL eclipse......; partial eclipse is nothing compared to total.....just the cold, wind, and darkness of it.......

I have been to some highly partials and truth be told: it's not worth it.....but if you can get to a location where it is 100% go.... go prepared and you will not regret it.......unique experience.

this was 85% as captured by my cell phone......
PXL_20231014_165718385.NIGHT.jpg

In the area where I live it’s going to last for about 4 minutes. The issue can be the weather, if it’s cloudy then all this preparation and planning will be for nothing. We just found out today that the schools will be closed. I can only imagine if this was during the time I went to school. I have a strong feeling it would have not been this much of an issue and we would be going to school.

Top Bottom