What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A7C06358-E255-4AA7-B626-2733CFDFC975.jpeg

Shave Number six on the Jaws Platinum. Another great shave today, no nicks, weepers just a darn fine shave. I like these blades and I am thankful to @Grundi for sending them to me even though it was International postage for him.

Shark Platinum edge 2 shave 2. Rapira Tech Razor, Captain's Choice Lime cream, YaQi Giotto 24mm synth.

I felt like some freshness on a muggy summer's day, and this lime cream more than fit the bill.

You could sense the danger with this blade/razor combo, and there may have been some circling in the water, but forewarned is forearmed and with some careful handling disaster was averted whilst still delivering a fine shave.

I'm going on my holidays at stupid o'clock tomorrow morning, so I shall be bowing out of this discussion now. I'd just like to thank @Grundi @AnimalCatcher & @Chard52142 for making my participation possible, and all you fine gentlemen for making it so interesting.

Shark SS shave 7
2 day growth

Razor: Twig razor
Pre: Warm shower with Pre de Provence bath soap
Soap: ARKO COOL cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: none

I once again did the wtg pass with a shavette and then followed with the Shark SS. Nice and smooth ride. I did hit a blemish at the wrong angle during the last pass. A little cold water took care of it. This blade could get another shave or two, but I decided to toss it. The pass/shave count is too distorted by the shavette use to bother continuing. Baby Seal Smooth results from three passes with just a little drama.

I found the Shark Platinum and Shark SS to be very similar. The Jaws did not perform as well as the two sharks for me.

thumbnail_IMG_1301.jpg

Second shave with the Sharp Jaws Platinum blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble (24mm Silvertip Badger)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

As expected, the Sharp Jaws Platinum was even better on its second use.

This blade is following the same path as my previous Jaws blade. That is, I managed a BBS, but it started off slightly tuggy and required some fairly heavy buffing to get there. However, today's outing was smooth as silk on all three of my main passes and buffing consisted of just a few strokes around the Adam's apple to achieve a very easy BBS.

Therefore, I suspect that we'll see similar performances for the next 4-5 shaves. At that point, the previous blade had bit the dust. Will this blade be a copycat? Let's find out... 😁

C6550FCA-EAC6-46D8-8C79-AAD5CF954DAD.jpeg

Shark Platinum, shave 4
Henson AL13 medium
PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Proraso green soap
Nancy Boy signature gel

Got the lather dialed in much better this time, and it still smells just as wonderfully cool! No tugging to speak of from the Shark. A few weepers, so yesterday’s no-blood streak ends at 1 shave.

🦈 Result: DFS+ (8/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 1 weeper on soul patch, a few on neck just under right jawline/chin (alum took care of them)
🦵🏻 Limbs torn from my torso for an afternoon snack: 0

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
1F737589-E064-4ED2-93C3-A4AEFFD86836.jpeg

Seventh and last shave with the Jaws Platinum. I must admit, I really like my first impression of this blade. First shave I was a little apprehensive but it smoothed out and finished up a decent weeks worth of shaves. I would like to thank again @Grundi for the blade mail out and letting me be a part of this.

Shark Super Chrome blade #1, shave #1

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Cheap generic off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I have been bouncing back between the "Old Friend" PIF and this one so this is the first shave for me with a Shark Super Chrome. It performed very well. It was sharp and smooth. No weepers, nicks, or irritation. We'll see how many shaves that I get out of it, but so far I'm very pleased.

Ninth shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Simpson Special S1 (18mm Best Badger)
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Another decent outing from the Shark SS.

This blade has now delivered three pretty good shaves in a row, each one improving on the one before. My three main passes were all reasonably smooth, although the sporadic tugging (that I've experienced throughout this blade's life) never really goes away. But, as before, the tugging is mild so it doesn't have too much of an effect.

Buffing was also similar to the previous use in that I needed to spend a higher-than-average amount of effort to get to my desired level of closeness. However, in the end, I achieved a BBS with only moderate overall effort.

Not bad for a blade that started out so poorly that I thought that I'd have to bin it partway through its first use! 😁

Ninth shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express (26mm Two-Band Badger)
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

A decent shave with a few issues.

After several better-than-average outings, the Shark Platinum may be reverting back to some of its less desirable qualities. For example, I detected very light tugging that got worse as I progressed through my main passes. By the time that I got to my final pass (XTG), the razor was skipping slightly as I pulled it across my skin.

I thought that my lather or my face was too dry and that was causing the grabbing. But wetting my face and re-applying lather didn't help. So, that's one thing that I'll have to consider when I decide if I'll use this blade again.

Something else to consider is that I had to buff quite heavily to get to a BBS. Thankfully, there was no post-shave irritation. But, having to expend this much effort every time that I shave is probably going to lead to a bad outcome.

Therefore, I'll give this blade another try, but if it acts up, then its next stop will be the trash bin.

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark Platinum (6)
24mm LJS/Maggard SHD 2-band badger
Balea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream

I had to get out of the house early today, so only had time for a 2-pass shave.
Result: DFS after 2 passes, BBS after a little touch up. The Platinum is a verry nice blade.

W.I.S.E. Man, B.O.B., Member of the Graham-Field Survivors Club, Flying Eagle survivor, Rabbit Hole Expert
Don't annoy old people. At our age, "life in prison" isn't much of a deterrent.

Shark Super Stainless blade #1, shave #2

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Palmolive Classic with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap generic off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Another very good drama-free shave. Very smooth, quite sharp. I don't know what else to say. It does its job and does it well.

Third shave with the Sharp Jaws Platinum blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua (24mm Tuxedo)
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Despite a poor lather, an excellent shave!

For some reason, I couldn't make a lather to save my life. I ended up reloading the brush three times and I still ended up with a thin runny mess. Yet, that didn't faze the FOCS/Jaws combo. It provided three perfect passes with nary a sign sign of any tugging or roughness. The ATG pass was effortless.

The rest of the shave went just as smoothly as I only needed a few buffing strokes around my Adam's apple to complete another easy BBS.

At this point of the Challenge, I think that I can safely declare the Jaws blade as my Champion based on its ability to deliver superb results with great consistency. There are no surprises or "gotchas" when I use these blades. Perhaps the only thing that I might wish for is greater longevity, assuming that this blade survives for six outings like the previous one.

We'll see how long this current Jaws blade lasts, though. Maybe it will surprise me.

Jaws #8
Yaqi double head (oc/bar)
Edwin Jagger boar brush
Cella soap
AS Proraso red
Balm Art of Shaving Neroli

2+ pass shave, the first was with the OC side, there was significant stubble left and I had doubts this was going to work (4d growth ). 2nd pass with the bar side against the grain.....it was not smooth, but took it all off. No blood at all, a bit irritated
All in all, this blade still works

Top Bottom