What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

C139F29E-0698-4410-A6BF-88957162B2F6.jpeg

Jaws, shave 2
Henson AL13 medium
PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Proraso green
Nancy Boy signature gel AS

Jaws was still sharp today - no pull, only cut. I caught a few weepers though that bled through the shave. Almost needed styptic, but a second alum application seems to have worked. Not much alum feedback other than the cuts, so I don’t think I was too heavy-handed anywhere else, but I do feel some irritation, so maybe I was. Right jawline is smooth, but the left isn't, and there's more rough areas on my neck today. (I was also competing with my wife’s hair dryer, so no audio feedback to tell me when I was actually cutting.)

🦈 Result: DFS+ (7.5/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 4 weepers (2 under chin, 2 right side of mustache, alum eventuality stopped bleeding)
🦵🏻 Limbs bitten off and chomped to weensy-tiny little bits: 0

Shark Super Stainless blade #1, shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: Cheap generic off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Another very good shave with no nicks, weepers, or irritation. The end result isn't perfect, but it's certainly DFS. I'm thinking that I might bin this one after 4 shaves. I mean, why not? I've got blades to go for quite awhile, including a few more on this PIF. I've very much enjoyed the Shark Super Stainless.

I had my first Shark Stainless shave yesterday morning. Shaved after a shower with the Derby normal cream that I am sticking to for the time being. Still using the Slim on 5 for the blade comparison.

I can honestly say the first go in this combination was underwhelming. The Shark felt harsh and I could not get a smooth shave around my throat. I generally do a three pass shave but even then I still felt stubble and I wasn't going to keep trying and cause irritation. Especially since my job tends to really bring out irritation throughout the day with the heat and sweat I really have to take it easy during the summer.

View attachment 1508514

Jaws, shave 2
Henson AL13 medium
PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Proraso green
Nancy Boy signature gel AS

Jaws was still sharp today - no pull, only cut. I caught a few weepers though that bled through the shave. Almost needed styptic, but a second alum application seems to have worked. Not much alum feedback other than the cuts, so I don’t think I was too heavy-handed anywhere else, but I do feel some irritation, so maybe I was. Right jawline is smooth, but the left isn't, and there's more rough areas on my neck today. (I was also competing with my wife’s hair dryer, so no audio feedback to tell me when I was actually cutting.)

🦈 Result: DFS+ (7.5/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 4 weepers (2 under chin, 2 right side of mustache, alum eventuality stopped bleeding)
🦵🏻 Limbs bitten off and chomped to weensy-tiny little bits: 0
Fish, Mammal whatever!

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark SS (6)
22mm VDH or Surrey badger
Balea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream

Shave #6 on the SS blade, so far still on the first edge. Smooth as silk all the way through.
Result: DFS after 2 passes, BBS after a little touch up. I really like these blades.

Eleventh shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble (26mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

A nice, comfortable shave for a lazy Sunday.

I didn't have anywhere to go, today. so there was no need to put maximum effort into getting a super-close shave. But, performing my usual routine (three passes and buffing) still delivered better-than-average results.

As noted the last time that I used the Shark Platinum, efficiency has noticeably declined. My three main passes only produce something akin to a SAS.

The real work begins with the buffing phase. However, as mentioned, I don't have to look pretty for anybody, so I just touched up a few obvious stubble patches and left the rest of my face alone. The end result was a comfy, low-effort DFS.

I could be satisfied with this level of closeness without much complaint, so I'll keep the Shark Platinum in my rotation for now.

Fifth shave with the Sharp Jaws Platinum blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Stout (24mm Angel Hair)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

An effortless BBS from the Jaws Platinum.

You can mark another autopilot shave in the books as this blade continues to deliver stunning results with each use. Every shave, so far, has been consistently smooth and comfortable.

That consistency is the Jaws Platinum's best trait. It may not match the longevity of other blades, but it makes excellent use of the life that it has. For that reason alone, the Jaws is my Champion of this challenge.

As for today's outing, all three of my main passes went by in a flash with nary a sign of tugging or roughness. Efficiency is still excellent; my face felt remarkably smooth even before buffing.

In fact, the aforementioned buffing was a mere afterthought as I only needed a few strokes around my Adam's apple to complete an easy BBS. :thumbup1:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark SS (7)
24mm LJS/Maggard 2-band SHD Badger
Balea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream

Shave #7 on the SS blade, just starting the second edge. Smooth shaving all the way through, maybe not quite as close as the Platinum but I'm not sure.

Result: DFS after 2 passes, borderline DFS/BBS after a little touch up.

Twelfth shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple (24mm Mink)
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Another good outing from this well-used blade.

With an even dozen uses under its belt, the Shark SS is finally starting to deliver decent shaves. My three main passes were all quick and comfortable. Efficiency is down a bit, but I still ended up with a CCS with only my main passes.

After some light buffing, I achieved a DFS. I pondered whether to keep going or not. As most know, I usually go for a BBS on every shave. However, not wanting to tempt fate, I decided to just enjoy what I had.

Parker 99R (Guest Host)
Shark SS (8)
22mm Badger of indeterminate origin
Frankensoap

Shave #8 on the SS blade. Smooth shaving all the way through, although a bit rougher than with most of my razors..

Result: DFS after 2 passes, borderline DFS/BBS after a little touch up.

Twelfth shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
Brush: Maggard Travel-Size (18mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

A minor decline in sharpness, but still getting the job done.

Today's outing was similar to that of August 21 in that I received a nice, comfortable shave... except that I had to expend a bit more effort to get there. There was a minor, but noticeable, decline in the sharpness of the Shark Platinum which affected its efficiency. There was also the hint of tugging on the WTG and XTG passes; just a touch of drag as I moved the razor across my skin.

Meanwhile, I managed to achieve another fairly easy BBS with only a few buffing strokes around my Adam's apple and along the left jawline.

So, I'm not sure that this blade is ready for the bin just yet. We'll see how it goes on its next use.

Pre-War Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Shark SS (9)
24mm Badger of indeterminate origin
Haslinger Schafmilch

Shave #9 on the SS blade. Smooth shaving all the way through. There's a reason I like Techs.

Result: borderline BBS/DFS after 3 passes, BBS after a little touch up.

Second shave with the Shark Stainless.

Still with the Slim on 5. I had intended to stick with ShArko but then my tube of Derby normal split open, but this morning I was running a bit late and just used the Barbasol 1919 and finished with AV Musk.

The second shave was much better feeling but still didn't get really close around my throat. That is my trouble area and I generally take it easy so I don't cause irritation. Luckily, I didn't get any irritation today.

So far I'm ranking the blades Platinum > Jaws > Stainless

Now that I am well supplied with toothy blades, I am starting a run with a fresh Jaws in my toothy Fatip Open Comb Slant. I'm thinking of this as a longevity test. Most uses will be for a clean up of the jawline and the neck maelstroms.
64A9C7DD-DF35-41A1-AD03-85F1368A32F6.jpeg

Full shave to start things off; fast but effective and close, in spite of this little Omega 40033 still being in break in mode. Off and running!

Last edited:
jaws shave #10
razor Leaf (blades in spot 1,2)
Proraso pre shave
Chubby 2
MDC
Proraso red AS
Speick balm

2+ pass face shave, NO blood, no sharks around.....but it wasn't really smooth.....this blade is dull for my taste.....a bit irritated.

Top Bottom