What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

FD38C2F3-7713-4AE7-B64A-117AA00329EE.jpeg

I think this is my fourth or fifth shave with this Shark Platinum blade. I have to say, it's still holding up. I'll go for at least one more round then reevaluate.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
EB339C31-6DA9-45AB-A767-3D9A3EFA3CB0.jpeg

Third shave with the Jaws Platinum. This blade seems to be mellowing out quite nicely. I thought that shave number one was a little harsh but now a few shaves in the blade seems to be hitting its stride for me. I may have just jinxed myself but we will see.

Sharp Jaws Platinum edge 2 shave 3. Rapira Tech razor, Cella original, DS Cosmetics 24mm synthetic.

I'm a day late posting this shave - apologies.

To my surprise this shave didn't grow back too quickly, but felt very "scrape-y", and left me with a tiny neckline weeper. Time for this Jaws to join the great chum bucket in the sky.

First shave with the Sharp Jaws Platinum blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Stout (24mm Angel Hair)
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

An eerily similar first shave compared to that provided by the previous Jaws blade.

In fact, I could just copy what I wrote on July 20 and past it here, verbatim! 😜 But, seriously... like that outing, my three main passes were mostly trouble-free. There was some minor tugging on the WTG and XTG passes, but the ATG pass was exceptionally smooth. As with the previous blade, I'm fairly certain that the tugging will disappear when the coating wears away.

Also like the previous Jaws, buffing for the first time was a somewhat complicated process and involved re-lathering fully and performing a fourth pass. Most of my effort was spent cleaning up the areas around my Adam's apple and jawlines. Afterwards, I enjoyed an irritation-free BBS.

So, we're off to a good start. If this Jaws follows the same path as the previous blade, then I can expect at least half-a-dozen excellent shaves. We'll also see if this blade's performance suddenly drops off a cliff like the last blade. Then, I'll know if it was an issue with my technique or a characteristic of the Jaws.

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark Platinum (4)
24mm DIY badger/boar mix
Haslinger Schafmilch

A good solid shave, drama free, DFS after 2 passes, BBS after 3 plus some touch up.
Significantly smoother than the Jaws blade.

Gave the Jaws blade another go this morning. Had a little whoopsie with the Slim. I don't generally swap blades in razors, but I have a few out on the counter with different blades. I went to unscrew the Slim to make sure I was using the right blade for this PIF and the blade kinda popped up a little bit. When I tightened it back down, one edge caught on the silo door.

This definitely ruined one blade edge. Well, the bad edge still shaved but not well. The other edge did well though. I'm going to have to run this blade through on one edge.

This shave was after a shower with Bigelow cream, a new & cheap brush I got (till I find another one I like), and finished with Barbasol Pacific Rush. It was nice and icy.

The final results were pretty good. No irritation but not perfectly smooth. I don't strive for perfection, especially when it's so hot out.

Shark SS shave 4 & 5
1 day growth

Razor: 1953 Super Speed
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: ARKO COMFORT cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: none

Another busy week, so two combined into one post. I've been wanting to get into using a straight, so the first with the grain pass was done with a shavette. The following two were done with the Super Speed. 3 passes has me Baby Seal Smooth with no drama. I could tell towards the end of the 5th shave that he blade was starting to wear. No aftershave was needed.

thumbnail_IMG_1294.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
784DAAB5-63B2-483F-80DE-FD3B6D63FB59.jpeg

Shave number four with the Jaws platinum. It would have been a fantastic shave today if I had have stopped after my third pass. But no, I had to have another go under my nose as I thought something was still there. So I gave myself a weeper. No one to blame but me for that. I am quite happy with this blade so far.

Shark SS shave 6
1 day growth

Razor: Winning Razor
Pre: Warm shower with Pre de Provence bath soap
Soap: ARKO COOL cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: none

Yesterday's shave went smoothly although it has become evident that the blade is dulling. The Arko Cool cream isn't a cooling cream like Proraso. It's more of a cool vibe like an aquatic scent might be called cool. The first pass was with a shavette with the DE taking care of the next two. There's increased resistance across the grain under my sideburns, so this blade only has one more shave in it. 3 passes with Baby Seal Smooth results and no drama.

thumbnail_IMG_1295.jpg

Eighth shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink (24mm Mink)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

A very good shave with only a few small issues.

The Shark Super Stainless delivered its second decent shave in a row as it continues to improve its performance. Today's outing mirrors that of its last use with three main passes that were reasonably smooth but marked by periodic tugginess. The tugging was mild; just a slight feeling of dragging every once in a while. It didn't really affect the outcome, but it still deserves a mention.

Meanwhile, I was able to achieve a BBS again but, like the last use, it took a fair amount of buffing to do so. I spent a lot of time focusing on the area around my Adam's apple, but it didn't result in any irritation, so everything is good. :thumbup1:

So, this blade's performance seems to be stabilizing somewhat. If I'm lucky, I'll get a similar shave next time. Keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Associated gear:

Shark Platinum (5)
20mm restored Rubberset/Fuller 2-band
Haslinger Schafmilch

Another great shave. DFS after 2 passes, BBS after 3 plus some touch up. Very comfy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
11533D86-D653-463C-96B9-F0A622CEEBC5.jpeg

Shave number five on the Jaws Platinum, another great shave today. I stopped after three passes and had a DFS. I wasn’t going to back like yesterday, I decided to stop when the going was good. I quite like these blades so far.

8BFD008D-FB86-4E09-AA7C-FAB0C2CA7ED5.jpeg

Shark Platinum, shave 3
Henson AL13 medium
PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Southern Witchcraft Samhain soap and splash samples

Much, much, much better shave than the first 2 with this blade, this is more what I expect from a Shark, at least given my experience with the SS and SC species. Actually, I was surprised with how NOT tuggy it was, they don't seem to be the sharpest blade and tend to pull some on the first pass at least, but not this time. Just knocked my stubble right down. 2 passes, though touch-ups were nearly a full third pass. Still, just a bit of alum feedback and irritation on my neck, even with the left side being particularly difficult to touch up today. Good shave, and best of all, no blood!

🦈 Result: DFS+ (8.5/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 0
🦵🏻 Limbs severed and eaten up: 0

Shark Platinum edge 2 shave 1. Rapira Tech razor, Wilkinson Sword bowl soap, YaQi Sagrada Familia 24 mm tuxedo.

I'm a day late again!

This shave started out really nicely, with no sense of danger. There was none of the face-scraping feel that the Jaws had (that I only explicitly mentioned on the third shave, but was there to some extent for all of them).

Everything was great after the first pass, and I don't think I got complacent, but there were a couple of jawline weepers after the ATG pass.

This shark demands respect!

Eighth shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble (24mm Silvertip Badger)
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Another workmanlike performance from the Shark Platinum.

Like the previous use, today's outing was better than average. My three main passes were trouble-free and, in particular, the ATG pass felt very smooth.

Buffing remains trouble-free, as well. I needed a few more strokes than last time, but I still ended up with a fairly easy BBS with no post-shave irritation.

It looks like the Shark Platinum is rounding into form after a short rough patch, so it will stay in the rotation for now.

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!​

Associated gear:

Jaws SS DE Blade (7)
Maggard 2-band
Balea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream

A pretty good shave, DFS after 3 plus some touch up.
No drama, although the blade feel is definitely on the increase. Time to bin Jaws.

Top Bottom