What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

After The Challenge PIF - PIF!!

Thank You, @AnimalCatcher and @Chard52142, for making this PIF fun filled with good blades!!
Thank you, @BigJ, for hosting Shark Week 2022!!

Thank you, @BigJ, @cwright, @ajkel64, @Tanuki, @MountainBear, @hairless wonder, @Demolition, @Filudo, @KMF79, @Chad3, @jaro 101969, @fast shaver, @ewk, @Slock, @hugosf, @T Bone, @borwish, @Balthier, @mikhou, @Tathlum, @Weean, @Chard52142, @ElwoodP, @TheBigL, @Captain O, @AnimalCatcher, @BradWorld, @lancre, @timetofly, @bubo_strix, @studolf, @losing, @Alohawyatt, @FarmerTan, @JAHE, @WenC, @Dtownvino and everyone else who participated in this We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor Challenge PIF!!

Special thanks goes to @AnimalCatcher who included the Shark Stickers and Shark Stamps...AND...3 amazing After The PIF PIF Prizes!!

View attachment 1501115

3 Lucky Survivors were selected at pickerwheel.com (after removing @AnimalCatcher, @Chard52142, and myself from consideration) to receive their choice of the above prizes!!
  • 1st place gets 1st choice, 2nd place choses next, and 3rd place gets the remaining prize.
  • Each one of these are great Shark Prizes!!

The Winners are:
  1. @fast shaver
  2. @Tathlum
  3. @Tanuki
After @fast shaver makes his choice, @Tathlum chooses next, then @Tanuki receives the remaining prizes!!
Congratulations to the winners
  1. @fast shaver
  2. @Tathlum
  3. @Tanuki
Huge thanks to @Grundi and @AnimalCatcher for organizing. Huge thanks to @BigJ for the annual Shark Week too!

Last edited:
Mon 8 Blade Challenge end of 4th Round = Verdict...hmmm
Soap
Stirling Boat Drinks
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger
Razor Yaqi Mellon COB
Blade Shark Super Stainless 4th
Aftershave
Stirling Iced Pineapple Splash
Another wonderful soap with excellent lather qualities and a pleasant scent. The aftershave kinda matches nicely...
Mistakenly used the same but an older SSS blade previously & condemned it. Found this and realized it's the one used for the challenge...wow, a huge difference when paired with the razor. So smooth easy and efficient. 3passes without any issues for a bbs finish. Marvelous shave!
20220808_122906.jpg

A big thank you to @Grundi for taking the time to mail hundreds of blades to forum members, one PIF after another.... you are awesome. I also wanted to express my appreciation to @Chard52142 for being such a personable gent to communicate with and for supplying the cool Jaws blades for this PIF. And, a big thank you to @BigJ for hosting Shark Week and for being such a nice guy.

Congratulations to @fast shaver, @Tathlum and @Tanuki.

I had a lot of fun participating in this PIF and I still have blades remaining that I can use for Shark Week next year. 🧜‍♂️

Blade: Jaws - blade #2, shave #2
Razor: Aristocrat
Brush: Ever-Ready 100s
Soap: MEM
Aftershave: Myrsol - Plastic Shave 🐙

Another very good shave, even better than the first. Of the three different blades used in this PIF, I prefer the Jaws and Shark Platinum's over the Shark SS, though, in my opinion, all three seem to be very good, serviceable blades.🦞
IMG_2405.JPG

Last edited:

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!​

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Jaws SS DE Blade (5)
Maggard 2-band
Pacific shaving Natural Shave Cream

A pretty good shave, drama free, DFS after 2 passes, BBS after 3 plus some touch up. No drama, although the blade feel seems to be on the increase.

Seventh shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia (24mm Fab-shaped Tuxedo)
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

Yo-yo, thy name is Shark Super Stainless!

As expected, this blade is bouncing back and forth between good and bad shaves. Today's outing fits in the "good" category. My three main passes were reasonably smooth. There was some slight tugginess on the XTG pass, but it had a minimal effect.

Meanwhile, buffing was a more energy-intensive affair as I spent a considerable time cleaning up the areas around my Adam's apple and under my chin. For some reason, I could not get those spots stubble-free, despite going over them repeatedly. I decided to just stop for fear of causing any irritation.

So, in the end, I received a solid DFS. The overall shave was moderately comfortable and mostly trouble-free.

Now, let's see if it can deliver a similar result on its next outing or if it reverts back to a tuggy, irritating mess.

View attachment 1501223
My Shark pack from @Grundi turned up Friday 05th of August. My first shave with the Jaws Platinum blade was today Monday 08th of August. Interesting blade. Will give it a few days before I make any further comment. Thanks @Grundi for the blades.
With @ajkel64 checking in, all the requested blades (except 1 set, with replacements sent out and received) have reached their intended recipients!! I was beginning to worry that South Wales was located just north of @Demolition!! Whew!!

Shark Bait -- Shark Platinum -- Shave 5

Razor: Gillette 195 (Fatboi)
Blade: Shark Platinum
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Cities from Space
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Gin & Tonic
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

Only an acceptable shave tonight after two passes. Did not want to risk irritation Will give it one more chance tomorrow -- who knows, maybe it will yo-yo like Demolition's blades.

IMG_20220808_203230535.jpg

Tue 9 Blade Challenge 5t Round
Soap
Barrister & Mann Le Grand Chypre
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor RazoRock GC.84-P
Blade Shark Platinum 5th
Aftershave B&M Le Grand Chypre Splash
An absolutely beautiful scent from the soap and enhanced by the matching splash. The lather was richly creamy and slick too!!
This shave with the blade paired with the razor was good but there's a bite to it. Among the sharks & jaws, this is the only one that bites. 3passes for a dfs result with 2 micro red spots. Ok...enough for the blade...will be ditched...hmmm...maybe
20220809_125220.jpg

Shark Platinum Blade #1 Shaves #7, 8, and 9

My past theee shaves were still pretty darn good. The Shark Platinum left me with a BBS each time.

I kept the Shark Platinum with a Fatip Grande and @COdiak's Frankmenth soap. I lathered the soap in my Captain's Choice Cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl with my Cherry Semogue Owner's Club finest badger brush. I finished my shave with some Barrister & Mann Terror aftershave splash.

Each time, instead of showering before shaving, I opted to take a shower afterward. I soaked my SOC in a cup of cold water and also soaked an almond sized dollop of the Frankmenthsoap in cold water in my lather bowl for 20-30 minutes. During this time, I prepared my face and beard by periodically dousing them in (cold) water.

After the soap and brush were soaked sufficiently, I made a thick yogurty lather in my lather bowl. I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG). Before each pass, I wet my face with some bloom water on my face then painted on the lather from my bowl until I built a thick and protective layer. I wound up with my usual BBS shave.

After each shave, I showered and rinsed off the alum block residue with some more cold water. I finished my shave by splashing some B&M Terror after shave splash and enjoyed the cooling sensation.

The shaves were all still good but the blade felt a little rougher than before. I think I can probably get (at least) another week of every other day shaves before I have to toss the blade.

All in all, I would give all three shaves a 99.25/100.

BEAC741C-B8EA-400A-8409-1F0300049FE8.jpeg

Seventh shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble (26mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) Shaving Cream

No drama as the Shark Platinum delivered another workmanlike performance.

My three main passes were relatively trouble-free. The minor tugging that I experienced on the WTG and XTG passes is largely gone. The ATG passes have been excellent right from the beginning and that hasn't changed.

Efficiency is still quite good and my face felt surprisingly smooth afterwards. Therefore, I only needed a moderate amount of buffing to achieve a BBS. There was no post-shave irritation.

So, this blade lives on to shave again.

Next up is a new Jaws. The previous Jaws blade provided about a half-dozen excellent shaves before it bit the dust. I'm hoping that the new blade will display similar consistency.

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!​

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Jaws SS DE Blade (6)
Restored 20mm Rubberset/Fuller 2-band badger
Balea shaving cream

A good solid shave, drama free, DFS after 2 passes, BBS after 3 plus some touch up. No drama.

Shark Bait -- Shark Platinum -- Shaves 6&7 -- The Farewell Edition

Razor: Timeless aluminum
Blade: Shark Platinum
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Cities from Space
Soap: Tabac
A/S: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

I chose the highly efficient Timeless aluminum razor for my final shaves with the Shark Platinum. Two passes got the job done nicely, but with a touch of irritation at the end. This has been a tremendously rewarding challenge PIF, and I am happy to have successfully spent time with 3 sharks with no bloodshed.

IMG_20220809_183621974.jpg

Top Bottom