What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Jaws Blade #2 Shave #10
Tools: SCS Model A Razor, DSC brush & Mongo Bar soap.
Got a decent shave this A.M. but the Jaws blade is Kaput so in the Bin it goes because of too many touch up passes.
No complaints here about the Jaws blade. I will start with blade #3 Tomorrow. :thumbup1:

Tenth shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Aqua (24mm Tuxedo)
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and thyme

Another BBS... but not without some struggles.

Today's shave started out similarly to the previous one in that my three main passes were fairly smooth with just a hint of tugging on the WTG pass. Overall, that part of the outing was perfectly acceptable.

However, the issues started when it came time to buff. As before, I found that I needed to buff very heavily as this blade loses efficiency and my main passes remove less stubble over time. In the end, I basically performed a fourth pass (ATG) and a fifth pass (XTG) below my jawline.

I tried to use a light touch to prevent irritating my skin, but all of that attention led to some minor sensitivity. But, at least I got a BBS out of it. :thumbup1:

I don't know how much longer this blade can last. If it displays any issues at the start of its next use, then I guess it's destined for the bin.

Catching up on my last two shaves with the Jaws blade. Both still in the Slim at 5 and with Derby normal cream. Somehow the tube of Derby got squished in my drawer and now there is a leak at the crimp in the tube. Looks like I'm going to be using it up so it doesn't get dried out.

I'm rating the first Jaws blade as average. Granted this is only one blade in one razor, but it was nothing outstanding for me. I went five shaves with ok results.

Up next, same setup with the Shark stainless.

Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark Platinum (7)
22mm VDH or Surrey badger
Haslingers Schafmilch

A nice easygoing shave this AM. The Platinum is still going strong.
Result: DFS after 3 passes, BBS after some touch up.

Jaws #9
A strange shave with 4 different razors, head and face.
TOBS limes cream
EJ boar brush (not the best, but it was a gift)
AS: Tiger solution
AB: Trader Joes antioxidant.

Head one half was done w a Black gillette india + Flair tip TV ed. No problems, 2+pass smooth and close
The other half done w the Jaws, in another Flair tip TV (this one is banged and has a crooked head) first use, no cuts but shave was not the smoothest....I tried to bend it back, but did not have enough strength, was told there was a 5o/50 chance it would break. So acceptable shave, no cuts.

Face: first use of two Jaqi heads, one looks like a Henson clone (heavy) the other looks like a fat tamale.... used the Jaws blade, shave was average.....BUT down in the chin (where I have a nasty scar of sub mental cut) the Jaws went for the attack, jumped in and took a sharp bite.....blood started oozing and a sciptic pencil was needed to make the blood coagulate before the floor was stained. The shave w the Yaqui new heads was nothing to write home, those will probably go to a drawer or box......

Blade keeps shaving OK. Next use will be with one of my regular razors that are in good condition.....no crooked experiments nor new cheap heads.... All in all, acceptable shaves, Gillette wins despite being crooked

Shark Super Stainless blade #1, shave #3

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Cheap generic off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The beginning was tuggy and the end was a very good result. The shave got better as I went on. While I like a more runny lather, I think that I needed to whip it a bit more to get it to the right consistency. Therefore, on subsequent passes, I whipped it a bit more and, again, finished with a very nice shave. I have been at this for about a year, and I'm learning that I have to treat my various creams and my 2 brushes differently regarding how much water to add and how long to whip it to get them to the right consistency depending on the brush and cream combo. All part of the trial and error, I suppose. But, end of the day, I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
I forgot to upload the 4 razors I used (post #466) . The winner was the flair tip gillette that only has a lazy door. Interestingly the one w the crooked head shaves OK'ish; and the two Yaqi heads are just OK (and NOT worth the waste of money). Now: Jaws still working after 9 shaves.....

Attachments

• PXL_20220818_065716370.jpg
    PXL_20220818_065716370.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 4
Tenth shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
Brush: The Shave Factory/Omega Pro 49 (27mm Unbleached Boar)
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

An improved outing compared to last time.

The Shark Platinum delivered a better-than-average shave, today, as the tugging that I experienced on my last shave has all but disappeared. As a result, my three main passes were all very quick and comfortable for a change.

Perhaps the only issue is that efficiency is way down. As I progressed through my passes, I could tell that it wasn't removing as much stubble as before. This is quite a contrast to when this blade was new as it felt extremely sharp and efficient back then.

Therefore, when it came time to buff, I had to do a lot of work to achieve something approaching my desired level of closeness. In the end, I settled for a DFS because I didn't want to take the chance of irritating my skin by buffing too much.

Obviously, this blade is nearing the end of its life. But, it might still have a few shaves left in it. We'll see how it fares when it comes up in the rotation again.

E5774ED9-E453-4CC9-ABCE-980A2FDE15A3.jpeg

Jaws, shave 1
Henson AL13 medium
PAA Starcraft (24mm synth)
Southern Witchcraft Samhain soap and splash samples

I had mixed feelings going into my first shave with this blade upon noticing that it's made by Sharp. On the one hand, I've used Sharp Hi Platinums thrice before in my sampler, and found that Sharp was an ironic brand name for a blade that wasn't very. On the other hand, I was excited to use a blade that is impossible to find in the US - I tried looking around for it! - unless you're friends with cool people like @Chard52142 and @Grundi who can hook you up. And the shark graphic on the blade wrapper is just plain awesome.

Turns out I had no reason to be nervous. There was surprisingly little tug from this platinum-coated blade even on the first pass of shave 1. 2 passes and some cleanup left me nearly BBS and with no cuts! Jawlines are smooth, just a bit scratchy in a couple parts of the center and left of my neck. Except then I got complacent and went and nicked myself just above my lip on the right side cleaning up my mustache. I knew as soon as it happened and thought it was going to require styptic, but the alum mostly took care of it.

So no need to be afraid of Jaws, but you can't get complacent either!

🦈 Result: BBS- (9/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 1 (the aforementioned careless mistake)
🦵🏻 Limbs mercilessly torn off from below and devoured: 0

Fourth shave with the Sharp Jaws Platinum blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic (20mm Angel Hair)
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

A flawless autopilot shave! :thumbup1:

Today's outing might have been the best I've had in the past few weeks. There was no thinking required as I basically just had to lather and go. In the end, I enjoyed three effortless main passes and a bare minimum of buffing to achieve a very easy BBS.

The Jaws blade is in the sweet spot right now. Efficiency is sky-high and the comfort level is outstanding. I don't know how long it can maintain this kind of performance, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Associated gear:

Shark Platinum (8 & 9)
22mm VDH or Surrey badger
Haslingers Schafmilch

Usually I shower shave, but I had cataract surgery in one eye yesterday, so had to shave at the sink and on shave 9, the Platinum pretty much bit the bed. The surgeon didn't want a lot of water in my face and eye so my whiskers weren't as well hydrated as they normally are. Bottom line is that my beard was tougher than usual and a nine shave old Platinum just couldn't cut it.

So I binned it after the first pass an switched to the Shark SS. That was much smoother.

Final Result: DFS after 3 passes, BBS after some touch up.

Jaws #9.
Razor Karve SS OC C
Soap: mixed Proraso green cream and Pacific caffeinated
Semogue mistura
Speick AS
Nivea Balm
Head and face shave
Karve was my fav till RR Lupo SS dethroned it. Got the SS top and rake because i cannot stand the smell and patina.
2 1/2 passes, I think the blade has lost it's sharpness, shave is close but not as close as before, had to do some buffing and now have some irritation..... No blood for the sharks

Not sure if I will use this again.... maybe once more in a Leaf?

Razor: Blackbird SS

Brush: SOC Finest Badger

Soap: Captain’s Choice Sandalwood

Blade: Shark Super Stainless (1)

Bowl: Captain’s Choice Scuttle

I’m trying to “Excalibur” my blades. I managed to get 12 shaves from the first Shark Super Stainless until the blade started to to skip some whiskers.

Today is my first time using a scuttle, so it’s time to open a fresh blade. @Captain Pre-Capsize is so generous and opened a contest to overseas B&B members and I was lucky enough to win this beauty. Thank you Scott, it’s always a pleasure to get a new CC product. I’m now a owner of 4 bowls, 1 mug and 1 scuttle 😂. I’m buying his entire line of products😇

1A73EABE-7081-4168-AA92-3A32A54514E0.jpeg

Associated gear:

Shark SS (5)
24mm LJS/Maggard SHD 2-band badger
Balea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream

Continuing with my Shark Week leftovers, Yesterday I switched to the Shark SS blade mid shave.
Today was the SS blade throughout.

Result: DFS after 2 passes, BBS after a little touch up. The SS is one of my favorites.

Eleventh shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia (24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo)
Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) Shaving Cream

A close, comfortable shave.

No issues, today, as the Shark SS performed its job in a straightforward way. My three main passes were quick and trouble-free. I did not detect any tugging on the WTG pass for a change.

Meanwhile, buffing was also a simple affair. A few strokes along the jawline and a bit of effort around the Adam's apple resulted in another fairly easy BBS.

Now that this blade has a few uses under its belt, it seems to have calmed down.

Return of Jaws: Best Shave yet with Jaws

Mid-day shave while listening to Maine NPR stream. Weather sounds amazing in Maine today.

Brush: AP SynBad
Soap: 345 Fresh Cute Fade
Blade: Jaws
Razor: Carbon R3 TI Original plate
Splash: Old Spice (I use mostly on weekends - find the smell relaxing).

Best shave with Jaws. Smooth and much less fussy than the RR Jaws 68. I had set the Jaws blade aside three weeks ago. Soap and razor were much better than anything I used during shark week. No blood; great shave.

Top Bottom