What's new

Blackland Blackbird Ti - Satin Only Thoughts

I have a few polished razors and would be up for a satin finish. But I already own a Blackbird in copper, so not super interested in buying the same design again. If it was available in open comb it might tempt me, as my BrassBird is SB.

Well you bunch of wonderful enablers, I’m planning to make the jump into Blackbird mania tomorrow. I’ve been biding my time, awaiting the return of the Ti “Bird” . No worries. When the fateful day comes, there will be pictures. I’m curious how it will compare with my Timeless Ti .95 OC. Curiosity is the fuel that feeds RAD!

Titanium is the main thing that matters to me, I'm glad they are coming back into stock.

You may have seen Shane's article How Titanium Brings The Best Out Of The Blackbird. IMO this article does a good job of explaining why titanium makes a difference, and why the difference is especially pertinent to the Blackbird. More importantly perhaps, its conclusions are consistent with feedback about titanium Blackbirds already in the wild (at least the feedback that I have heard).

If you read the article, you may note that finish is never mentioned, but this is
not to say that finish is unimportant. However, aside from the aesthetic preferences that most of us have - preferences that can be important to us - I'm not expecting a major performance difference among satin, machined, and polished Blackbirds. I am expecting a notably smoother, yet still more than amply efficient Blackbird, and that is why titanium is the main thing that matters to me.

Well you bunch of wonderful enablers, I’m planning to make the jump into Blackbird mania tomorrow. I’ve been biding my time, awaiting the return of the Ti “Bird” . No worries. When the fateful day comes, there will be pictures. I’m curious how it will compare with my Timeless Ti .95 OC. Curiosity is the fuel that feeds RAD!
High five! ✋
(Timeless Ti 95 owner too. I solved my only concern, the blade exposure. It's online, with enough digging. Hoping to get one.)

I also haven't paid $320 for a razor (yet), but some of us are just getting too deep into this hobbie and we buy what we want. If you really think about it, $320 for a razor that can last a lifetime isn't that much. For instance, even the most basic smartphone will cost you at least $300 and it would be a miracle if you can use it after 5 years let alone 10 or a lifetime and that's just one of the countless examples. The other thing is that most people earn at least $10 an hour, so buying a razor for $320 is like working a few days for it and you can use it a lifetime.
But my $0 Tech will also last a lifetime (or 3 or 4). So why spend $320?

You’re right. Over a lifetime of shaving that Blackbird would be 50 cents per month more - absolutely wasted money unless you like the Blackbird better. And with that 50c per month saved you could treat yourself to a tub of artisan shaving soap every four years.

Ah, the ways we justify buying $300 razors.

Last edited:

It's up to you whatever you want to spend that much money or not. I'm just saying that most folks earn those $320 in just a few days and that's not a lot of money compared to many others things where we spend even more. That doesn't mean that more expensive razors shave better, since shaving varies from person to person and we all have different tastes, preferences and so on.

For instance, I've shaved with most Tech models like the pre and post-war, the Flat Bottom, the Hybrid and the late 60-70's aluminium handle Tech and in general, I don't like them, because they are way too mild and inefficient for me, but you and many others are enjoying them. On other hand, I've been using a vintage Bulgarian Personna/Star like clone made in the 60's-70's that looks very cheap and it's poorly made, but it shaves me just as good as some of my more expensive and way better made razors.

I can’t wrap my head around a $320 razor. My most expensive razor cost $17 and it shaves wonderfully. I have a ball-handle Tech that gives a perfect shave everytime and cost me $0. I’ll never understand the urge to spend exorbitant sums on a simple razor. But that’s just me.

Sounds like modern high-end razors aren't for you then. Not everyone wants to buy recycled vintage products. For the art of wet shaving to remain, survive, and even thrive, there has to be a modern wet shave industry that manufacturers modern products. The cost to manufacture high-end products in 2022 isn't cheap. Go research what titanium costs to buy, and the tooling required to cut it into a razor.

Some people love the idea of buying higher-end razors and the art behind producing them. I can personally care less about vintage razors and shave products. To each their own. I don't have a Ti Blackbird but I LOVE my stainless Blackbird. I think the satin Ti Blackbird looks incredible.

Titanium is the main thing that matters to me, I'm glad they are coming back into stock.

You may have seen Shane's article How Titanium Brings The Best Out Of The Blackbird. IMO this article does a good job of explaining why titanium makes a difference, and why the difference is especially pertinent to the Blackbird. More importantly perhaps, its conclusions are consistent with feedback about titanium Blackbirds already in the wild (at least the feedback that I have heard).

If you read the article, you may note that finish is never mentioned, but this is
not to say that finish is unimportant. However, aside from the aesthetic preferences that most of us have - preferences that can be important to us - I'm not expecting a major performance difference among satin, machined, and polished Blackbirds. I am expecting a notably smoother, yet still more than amply efficient Blackbird, and that is why titanium is the main thing that matters to me.
Thank you for the link.

Sounds like modern high-end razors aren't for you then. Not everyone wants to buy recycled vintage products. For the art of wet shaving to remain, survive, and even thrive, there has to be a modern wet shave industry that manufacturers modern products. The cost to manufacture high-end products in 2022 isn't cheap. Go research what titanium costs to buy, and the tooling required to cut it into a razor.

Some people love the idea of buying higher-end razors and the art behind producing them. I can personally care less about vintage razors and shave products. To each their own. I don't have a Ti Blackbird but I LOVE my stainless Blackbird. I think the satin Ti Blackbird looks incredible.
Which begs the question “why make a razor out of titanium?”

I am also curious as I only have a couple machine or non polished razors and they seem to have a touch more drag or suction or ???? for me Not sure if its the insane hard water or the finish (Henson Yates and Rex A incase anyone was curious)

without seeing in person I do wonder if this will be smooth enough to feel like a polished but not be one :) that would be cool as I do love the machine looking finishes also
excited to try one my only fear is will it be a touch to aggressive for my liking
- I love bead blasted… I think with descent soap it’s just as good or better than polished. I never had an issue with a Rockwell 6S shaving great yet the 6c felt sticky to me.

I’ll compare it to the machined after I obtain one…

And Shane is right polishing Ti is hard. Only Carbon does a great job that I know of. Wolfman doesn’t even try for a higher polish.

- I love bead blasted… I think with descent soap it’s just as good or better than polished. I never had an issue with a Rockwell 6S shaving great yet the 6c felt sticky to me.

I’ll compare it to the machined after I obtain one…

And Shane is right polishing Ti is hard. Only Carbon does a great job that I know of. Wolfman doesn’t even try for a higher polish.
I definitely agree with you about the Rockwell 6S. The texture to the finish does work to provide a resulting smoothness to the razor overall.

After creating this thread and reading it all I'm starting to change my mind on the polished versus satin finish subject.

I've never owned titanium anything so, I don't truly know what it looks like with my own eyes when it has a "machined", "satin", "low-polish" or "high-polosh" finish to it.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like shiny things but I do get the point you were trying to make though.

Why not? Why make things out of gold, or platinum?
I keep thinking of challenging Shane to make an aluminum Blackbird.

I mean at this point I don't see why not. With his talent it could absolutely be done well and the reduction in cost to the consumer would make Blackland far less of a niche brand in the modern wet-shaving world. The sales numbers / revenue alone could be used to fund other high-end projects.

I'm just saying...

I may regret telling you this as I don’t want to have you chasing things you may not need…but if you like nimbleness and have sensitive skin (and I think I know your profile from our messages), the lighter touch of Ti vs SS may have you getting rid of a lot of SS razors. I can shave my neck ATG (towards my Adam’s apple for me) with Ti without any razor burn. Changed my experience completely. I really am only keeping maybe 1-2 Hensons for travel and Ti or Copper (because I’m a sucker for Copper).

I never thought I’d want a titanium razor. Then I won one in a raffle. I was amazed. For me, it’s the perfect weight and balance. Now it’s hard to use a heavy razor. They feel cumbersome!
I’m with you on this one T… AEB47E27-A33E-493B-B296-AC0E4DD57669.jpeg

Top Bottom