What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

I've been happy with Maggard products. I bought the slant head with an MR14 handle for under $20 during the Black Friday sale. Feeling the handle was too light, I ordered the Closed Comb V3A aggressive head for $5 (also Black Friday sale) and the 22mm Aluminum Handle 2-Band Badger Shaving Brush to go with it.

View attachment 942848

LOL!! I got the same slant deal from Maggards. I am extremely happy with it. Try the slant with a Gillette Silver Blue. It was awesome! :)

This came in the mail yesterday from the Bay. A no name 3 piece slant razor with travel case (not shown). The case and every thing in it, except the razor, are marked Germany. I don't think the razor came with the case.
However, it wasn't until I had it in my hands that I realized it's a Duel Shaver. Look at the safety bar in both photos, one side has 10 grooves, the other has 15. The side with 10 is milder.
duel slant 1.jpg

duel slant 2.jpg

The photos are from the E-Bay Seller.
Does any one know of any German made Duel Shaver Slant Razors?
Nickle plated pot metal I believe. The handle looks like an Apollo but the markings are a little different.
This shaves great as I used the milder side around my mouth and chin. Could become a daily shaver.

This came in the mail yesterday from the Bay. A no name 3 piece slant razor with travel case (not shown). The case and every thing in it, except the razor, are marked Germany. I don't think the razor came with the case.
However, it wasn't until I had it in my hands that I realized it's a Duel Shaver. Look at the safety bar in both photos, one side has 10 grooves, the other has 15. The side with 10 is milder.
View attachment 946504
View attachment 946505
The photos are from the E-Bay Seller.
Does any one know of any German made Duel Shaver Slant Razors?
Nickle plated pot metal I believe. The handle looks like an Apollo but the markings are a little different.
This shaves great as I used the milder side around my mouth and chin. Could become a daily shaver.
The shape of the handle w/geometric designs looks like a Lutz, but I've never seen one in person, and the photos leave something to be desired

The shape of the handle w/geometric designs looks like a Lutz, but I've never seen one in person, and the photos leave something to be desired
Thanks for info. I did a search for "Lutz Slant Razor" and found a photo here on B&B of a Muller & Schmidt Slant with the same handle.
Have to try another shave with it as I felt that the side with fewer grooves was milder but every thing I've read says the side with more grooves is the milder side.
Which ever it is I still enjoy this razor.

Hi,

Most of German razor makers were in Solingen. There was a foundry there, name unknown, which made these heads. They sold to everyone, and unless there is a name on the handle, you need the box it was sold in to know the name of who sold it as a complete razor. So, the best we can do is Generic Solingen Differential Slant.

Stan

Hi,

Most of German razor makers were in Solingen. There was a foundry there, name unknown, which made these heads. They sold to everyone, and unless there is a name on the handle, you need the box it was sold in to know the name of who sold it as a complete razor. So, the best we can do is Generic Solingen Differential Slant.

Stan
Thanks Stan.
After my last post I did some more reading here on B&B and found that these razors where sold under a lot of names and no names. Also read one of your post from February, 2017, about issues with the caps and base plates. Mine is a no name and the base plate has some wiggle room to it, which is why I thought the mild side was the aggressive side. Today I took the time to line up the cap and the base and had a very comfortable and enjoyable shave.
I really do like this razor but I guess I was lucky as, apparently, no two are alike.

I had my first two shaves with the German 37 yesterday and today.
Sorry or no pictures, I have a house guest and both shaves were "git 'er done shaves" to free up the bathroom.
It worked out or the best.
I shaved just as if it was my 34 HD and it worked.

The razor is pretty intuitive to use.
The bevel on the cap sets the angle for you.
I used a GSB blade, Omega Pro brush, Captains Choice Venture soap, and a light touch.
The shaves have been amazing.
Yesterday was almost a one pass wonder; the razor was so efficient,
The second pass finished it.
It was a DFS except for one little patch on the back of my jaw.
I did nick my nose and had a weeper on my neck due to pilot error.
All in all, not bad for the first time out.

This morning as the same scenario.
Stirling synthetic brush and Schaffmilch.
Today was much more focused and intentional, but not labored.
Remarkably similar with no casualties.
I am amazed by it.
By the way, I did not use Nivea balm after the shave to test for irritation.
There was none; none today either.
Admittedly, I was a bit psyched about shaving with "the Guillotine."
This razor does command respect, but what razor doesn't?

The best way to describe this razor is efficient.
Very clean cutting with light pressure.
Shaving my face is almost effortless.
Under my chin are a couple tricky spots with mixed growth direction; this razor cut through it in a single pass with no irritation. I am impressed.

I will use my 34 C tomorrow and begin alternating the two, or do you think I should spend more time learning the razor?

I had my first two shaves with the German 37 yesterday and today.
Sorry or no pictures, I have a house guest and both shaves were "git 'er done shaves" to free up the bathroom.
It worked out or the best.
I shaved just as if it was my 34 HD and it worked.

The razor is pretty intuitive to use.
The bevel on the cap sets the angle for you.
I used a GSB blade, Omega Pro brush, Captains Choice Venture soap, and a light touch.
The shaves have been amazing.
Yesterday was almost a one pass wonder; the razor was so efficient,
The second pass finished it.
It was a DFS except for one little patch on the back of my jaw.
I did nick my nose and had a weeper on my neck due to pilot error.
All in all, not bad for the first time out.

This morning as the same scenario.
Stirling synthetic brush and Schaffmilch.
Today was much more focused and intentional, but not labored.
Remarkably similar with no casualties.
I am amazed by it.
By the way, I did not use Nivea balm after the shave to test for irritation.
There was none; none today either.
Admittedly, I was a bit psyched about shaving with "the Guillotine."
This razor does command respect, but what razor doesn't?

The best way to describe this razor is efficient.
Very clean cutting with light pressure.
Shaving my face is almost effortless.
Under my chin are a couple tricky spots with mixed growth direction; this razor cut through it in a single pass with no irritation. I am impressed.

I will use my 34 C tomorrow and begin alternating the two, or do you think I should spend more time learning the razor?

Sounds to me like your navigating with out too much problem. I've also found that I can get several more shaves from my Hoffritz with a blade that otherwise would be discarded. Glad you are finding your slant favorable. Enjoy.

Sounds to me like your navigating with out too much problem. I've also found that I can get several more shaves from my Hoffritz with a blade that otherwise would be discarded. Glad you are finding your slant favorable. Enjoy.

Thanks, Go-T.
A bit of serendipity.
It was the necessity of the moment and determined practice to overcome my heavy handed habits from years of cart shaving.
Members of the B&B encouraged me to develop good technique; that it was more important than the technology o the shave. That being said; I was curious about slants after successfully employing the Gillette Slide which greatly improved the quality of my shaves.
I'm grateful or all of it.

Slant balance points

I recently picked up a RazoRock Wunderbar and an iKon X3 on BST. It got me started on a slant rotation and a series of slant-to-slant half and half shaves. One byproduct is a little visual research into my slant’s balance points.

L to R, razors balanced on a wood block, just short of tipping point:

1 Wunderbar on titanium Halo handle - liking the balance so far, but I’m tempted to saw off the last 3 halos.
2 iKon B1 - balance point OK, just too heavy overall to ever be my daily driver. Plus it requires a Kai blade to function at all for me.
3 iKon X3 on OSS handle - very grippy handle, but again too heavy for my taste. I will test some options to match a shorter, lighter handle to that alloy head.
601EBEDB-17FD-4AAF-B676-3100B427ECE9.jpeg

1 RazoRock German 37 head on Tech handle - I understand why some like to add weight to this handle.
2 ATT S2 on Giesen&Forsthoff short SS handle - for me this is a good combo. I don’t own an ATT handle.:sad:
3 Merkur 37C - balance is good for me, but I would like a little grippier knurling. This remains my baseline slant to which all other metal slants are compared.
C7DF8E69-96DD-47F7-B507-D4A70D56C4D3.jpeg

Top Bottom