What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Let’s get this thread jumping. I want a little slant cred having bought a Merkur 36 brand new, back in the 70s, and kept it in rotation until my eldest seized it. He uses it and a recent Merkur 39 (a ‘nearly new’ gift from me) as his daily drivers.

My inventory (L to R):
ATT S2 - top dog. I had a hard time convincing myself to get it. Hard to see its ‘slantiness’ in a photo.
Merkur 37 - the baseline modern slant.
PBOCS - Fasanlike? I love it but not very often.
iKon SS slant with the B1 coating - still learning, seems to demand a lot of pressure which is not my practice, very stylish look.
RazoRock German 37 - a great deal from RR, homage to the Merkur classics. Buy the head, at least!

Oh yeah, also a cheapie GBS slant (Stealth clone?) I saw posted during Slantember... not really a winner.

155F664D-B52F-4CAB-B135-0D4BD7B8893A.jpeg

You can see that I like short skinny Merkur handles. Like the one that graced my 36.

I’m not knowledgeable about slant history, but I am keeping an eye out for affordable vintage.

Not a daily slant user, haven't used one in a while actually because have been learning SR. But after trying out
HPIM0307.JPG

A Maggard slant on a single ring "nut", dry at first (which is why there is "stuff" all over the edges in this photo, and later wet Made me decide to get a better (or actual) handle and start using like
Maggard Slant.JPG

Too many razors I like for it to become a daily though. A weekly, yes though!

Not a daily slant user, haven't used one in a while actually because have been learning SR. But after trying out
View attachment 935879
A Maggard slant on a single ring "nut", dry at first (which is why there is "stuff" all over the edges in this photo, and later wet Made me decide to get a better (or actual) handle and start using like
View attachment 935880

Too many razors I like for it to become a daily though. A weekly, yes though!

Clay, (or any other BOSSes) would you care to sum up the Maggard slant head? Maggard seem to be trying to clear out a big back stock, but all the caveats in the description are dissuading me from giving it a trial.

Clay, (or any other BOSSes) would you care to sum up the Maggard slant head? Maggard seem to be trying to clear out a big back stock, but all the caveats in the description are dissuading me from giving it a trial.
I had never read the caveats at the site before. I had gotten the head from a "take a razor/add a razor" pass around, so was an interesting read.

I ride the cap, and on a scale from 1 to 10, my face is NOT sensitive :) I only started shaving in June with DEs, have been shaving a month with SRs, and took Mouvember off shaving, but shaved twice a day 3 passes for first few months, so that I could "stay the course" with a fixed kit, and experiment with soaps, razors, blades, etc. the second shave. So fairly short time, but with a high degree of changes/experimentation.

With that in mind. I decided to give it further testing based on an unfamiliar, super short handle(single ring nut) dry shaving. So caveat #1 is overstated, if you ride the cap. #2. It does look a lot like your Ikon, but has no scalloping, teeth, or anything on the bar. It is a smooth bar. #3. Don't know how much use the head had before me, but I do see zinc alloy in small places through the plating. In critical areas, near the connections of the posts, both threaded and non-threaded ones. So at some point the post will snap off in the handle. If you were wanting to test the waters of slants, it would be worth the price or adding to a collection :) Only slant I've tried, so can't compare to others. #4. I've never adjusted it. I start on the cap, roll handle lower until cutting, then carry on. I've noticed it isn't quite aligned visually, but hasn't bothered my shaving. I imagine it would slice a bar rider up though. If that is the case, I would wait until v2, I imagine they will thicken the posts then.

I had never read the caveats at the site before. I had gotten the head from a "take a razor/add a razor" pass around, so was an interesting read.

I ride the cap, and on a scale from 1 to 10, my face is NOT sensitive :) I only started shaving in June with DEs, have been shaving a month with SRs, and took Mouvember off shaving, but shaved twice a day 3 passes for first few months, so that I could "stay the course" with a fixed kit, and experiment with soaps, razors, blades, etc. the second shave. So fairly short time, but with a high degree of changes/experimentation.

With that in mind. I decided to give it further testing based on an unfamiliar, super short handle(single ring nut) dry shaving. So caveat #1 is overstated, if you ride the cap. #2. It does look a lot like your Ikon, but has no scalloping, teeth, or anything on the bar. It is a smooth bar. #3. Don't know how much use the head had before me, but I do see zinc alloy in small places through the plating. In critical areas, near the connections of the posts, both threaded and non-threaded ones. So at some point the post will snap off in the handle. If you were wanting to test the waters of slants, it would be worth the price or adding to a collection :) Only slant I've tried, so can't compare to others. #4. I've never adjusted it. I start on the cap, roll handle lower until cutting, then carry on. I've noticed it isn't quite aligned visually, but hasn't bothered my shaving. I imagine it would slice a bar rider up though. If that is the case, I would wait until v2, I imagine they will thicken the posts then.

Clay, for a guy with just one slant head in inventory you gave me a lot of food for thought. Your experimental mindset is impressive!

Except for the German 37, a straight knockoff of the Merkur 37 head, no two of my slants shave alike. Or have similar visual blade alignments, exposures, or gaps. So my angle, technique, sequence/number of passes etc varies all over the map. I don’t mess with alignment in any of my slants.

I will probably give the Maggard head a pass for now, focus on getting better shaves from my new-to-me iKon. Might put a Kai in there, try to get a little more blade exposure, tune the angle more and try to eliminate any need for pressure.

Thanks for sharing your observations. :thumbup:

I like the Maggard very much. It can be aggressie, but with focus, and riding the cap as stated above, it gives great and fun shaves. Both the Maggard and the original iKonslant are based on the Mulcuto needlepoint razor, where the iKon is muted down a bit.

I currently own the PAA Bakelite open comb slant in black and a vintage Hoffritz slant. I also have a modern Merkur 37C put away for me for Christmas. I love slants for their efficiency and aggressiveness.

In the same way mac-n-cheese is a favorite comfort food for me .… my ATT S2 is a comfort razor. Been trying other stuff, traveling with a minimalist/stealable kit, etc lately so settled into a “comfort kit” for a while .....
proxy.php

Ahhhh .........

iKon B1 slant SOTD

I was a little disappointed with my recent BST-acquired iKon slant. Too inefficient, I felt it required some pressure and an aggressive approach to even get at my whiskers. And three passes minimum plus too much touch up to get to DFS.

Thanks to B&B and blade AD, I had an unopened tuck of overpriced Kai blades and the received wisdom that they are slightly wider and therefore more aggressive than every other DE blade. So I cracked the pack (not sealed!), unfolded the heavy wrapper, picked out the no-logo blade, and immediately compared it to a fresh Personna Blue that was at hand. It is wider! Duh...

Kai exposure
D6DC9245-4A7F-4B1D-BA00-5FDE920B2142.jpeg

Personna
2CC909AE-4399-40C9-9C84-1D4FB0C7C8A7.jpeg

Enough blade geekery. SOTD time.

iKon B1 slant - inspired by Mulcato in black-coat SS
Kai (1)
Semogue boar
Cella di mattoni
And the alum block for testing purposes only

BB2F3D40-C6D6-4FF8-8114-605E5E777ABE.jpeg

Executive summary: use a Kai with this razor
Supporting data:
>Two pass DFS with minimal touch up
>Did a fine job attacking the neck whorls WTG/ATG/XTG
>Barely noticeable sensation from the alum
>Was able to appreciate the aesthetics, epistemology, acoustics, semiotics, et cetera of the shave rather than just trying to get the darn razor functioning.

I do think this razor is a bit ponderous, but it provides a fun shave nonetheless. Plus, sexy shiny black coating! I’m going to give this baby a run.

Is that a rubber band around your alum block? To keep it from slipping out of your wet hand? Cool idea!

The rubber band should be required with alum blocks! I think I stole the idea from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Who knows who they stole it from?

I just put a couple rubber bands around the rim of that slippery little prep bowl as well. Asparagus bunches, they’re not just for dinner...

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
The rubber band should be required with alum blocks! I think I stole the idea from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Who knows who they stole it from?

I just put a couple rubber bands around the rim of that slippery little prep bowl as well. Asparagus bunches, they’re not just for dinner...

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
A set of nice setups! How do you like that BIG handle? I never quite adjusted to mine. Might have been too ambitious a step up:

View attachment 942756
The big handle is a WCS 110s solid stainless steel. I use it with the Maggard slant head so the weight (110g) does the work and I don't have to use pressure. Plus, at only three inches long, it's pretty easy to maneuver.
DSCF0011 - Edited (1).jpg

The best slant razor I’ve ever owned is the Maggards Slant

Snagged it on a whim for $13 the other day

Incredible shaves! I highly recommend it.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I've been happy with Maggard products. I bought the slant head with an MR14 handle for under $20 during the Black Friday sale. Feeling the handle was too light, I ordered the Closed Comb V3A aggressive head for $5 (also Black Friday sale) and the 22mm Aluminum Handle 2-Band Badger Shaving Brush to go with it.

DSCF0016 - Edited (3).jpg

iKon B1 slant SOTD - in search of BBS

> iKon B1 slant - Mulcato inspired SS heavyweight
> Kai (5ish?)
> Omega boar
> BOSC Special Reserve Orange and Peppermint - first time for this blend
>V0H3 - Hazel, Hop, Husker homebrew AS
And the alum block for shave metrics

03DC100F-8441-4F2B-843F-7EACEE993E68.jpeg

The exposure increment of the Kai blade got the iKon SS slant into the regular rotation. After the shakedown, I decided while lathering today to chase BBS. I would never class this razor as either aggressive or efficient, but now the chase was on. The BOSC SR O+P rose to the high standards of all the BOSC SR soaps I have been privileged to sample. Check. The first two passes took care of WTG and ATG. Check. The iKon even dug down for a significant but bloodless scrape in a moment of inattention under an ear. Blade exposure, check. Go XTG, engage trouble spots, touch up. Check. Alum test - definite sting, especially under that ear. Check. Cleanup, AS, final inspection. BBS, check!

I don’t think this heavyweight razor will ever be my big dog in a BBS dogfight, but mission accomplished today.

Top Bottom