What's new

Cheap vs. Less Cheap Slants

For those of you who have used both mass produced, non-artisan grade slants and their more expensive offerings found a difference in shave results?

I.E., iKon X3 vs B1 or Merkur 37c vs. Superslant (L#/+/++) or Above the Tie S1/S2

I have my first slant; a Yaqi OC Slant head and am curious to what extent there is a difference between it and the higher dollar slant options. Yes, I could buy them, but spending $100+ per go is a bit much without having any sort of concrete idea of whether or not spending 1011% or more is worth it :)

I have no experience with these artisan grade, full CNC razor heads. All of mine are Muhle and Yaqi (OC & OC Slant).

Here's what I've found so far...
The Inexpensive Slant List
iKon X3
Fatip Lo Sorto Gentile, Lo Sorto OC
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Phantom, Filament, Fatasma, Criatura, etc.
Merkur 37C
Razorock German 37
Yaqi OC Slant

The CNC Slant List
Yaqi Slope
iKon B1
Razorock Superslant, Wunderbar
Above the Tie S1, S2 (yes, X1 but isn't a DE head)

Last edited:
I've had an Ikon B1 slant for many years. I've previously had and sold a Merkur 37C, Fatip Lo Storto OC, and PAA Phantom. The 37C is a great razor but I prefer stainless steel and the Ikon performs much the same. Regarding the Fatip and PAA, although many people like them, I was not happy with the efficiency and comfort of the shave.

I'd love to try a Rex Konsul someday but it's doubtful because of its price tag and I'm getting great shaves with regular DE razors.

IMHO @Old Hippie is the resident expert on slants. Search for his posts on the subject, or perhaps he will give some advice here.

FYI - i think i just realized that the iKon B1 is just a coated version of the X3 head - sorry.
Not from what I could tell- the B1 appears to be machined, with much crisper, non-cast lines. I had one for several years and loved it.

If you like slants, watch ebay & ante up for the Konsul, it is worth it. I have a Wunderbar and it is a fantastic razor, but very much a "one trick pony."

I've had:
Pomco & Coles (Merkur 37 style)
FT Lo Storto
Oblyc SE
ATT S1
iKon B1 & whatever the other was (103?)

I still have:
Konsul
Wunderbar
PAA Alpha Ecliptic

I have used four slants that I can remember: Merkur 37C, Fatip Lo Storto, Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant and the RazoRock SuperSlant L3. The SuperSlant is the only one I still own, and I find it a pleasure to use. It produces BBS shaves in 2 passes (plus touch-ups) with no cuts, nicks or irritation at all. It is heavy and not the most maneuverable razor due to the very large head, but I have quickly learned how to successfully wield it into even the tight space under my nose.

It is also the most expensive of the slants that I've used by a large margin.

The FOCS = Lo Storto.
To clarify for those not as familiar with Fatip slant razors:

Fatip Name​
Abbreviation​
Lo storto, testina originaleFOCS (Fatip open comb slant)
Lo storto, testina gentileFCCS (Fatip closed comb slant)

Lo storto - crooked (slant); testina originale (original head - open comb baseplate); testina gentile (gentle head - closed comb baseplate).

The FOCS and FCCS use the same top cap. You can get either with with your choice of handle (I like the grande handle myself).

Nice razor with either baseplate IMO (I have both). It's currently my only slant so I can't comment on how it compares to other slants, but the FOCS and FCCS both shave above their modest price points IMO.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have 4 slant razors and just recently bought a Yaqi SLOPE 316 SS slant. I like the Torsion type slants because of the theory part with the slight helical twist that offers premium rigidity of the blade + better slicing of whiskers at a slight angle to make better efficentcy is the sales line manufactures pitch, they are harder to manufacture also IMO. Are they better than a standard razor it depends on the person using them IMO like always ! A matured shave technique a person can get any shave he wants has been my experiences with any razor but some razors are just tick all the boxes for perfection sometimes.:wink2:
1st one I bought 5 years ago was the Razorock German 37 torsion slant and I still use it occasionally with my large Razor rotation. Mid range razor. You can get very close shaves depending on technique maturity. Good price for what you get! $20 US.
2nd one I purchase about 5 years ago approximately was the Razorock Wunderbar 316 SS torsion slant and that slant will perform well with a light touch, riding the bar with a short handle gives great shaves. Upper mid range. Price range $100 + US.
3rd one I purchased about 10 months ago on a bargain sale on a whim and it is the Yaqi top aggressive slant head, for best results I ride the bar with a short handle for less leverage, weight and more maneuverable while shaving, aggressive range + light touch works great. $ 10 US for just the head.
4th one I purchased weeks ago is the new Yaqi SLOPE 316 SS torsion slant(New model), it is a easier going shave from what I have experienced so far and the quality is OK with machining QC great and finish is adequate for my shaving needs. It is compact with new excellent design and I trying to place it in the mild to tame mid range from my experiences using it so far. I'm doing some testing at the moment with it and coming close to my placing of it in efficentcy and aggression with different blades. Mild to tame mid range. $30-50 US for just the head depending if a person catches a good sale.
All of these razors above mentioned will give excellent shaves and user should be able to get DFS>BBS range shaves no problem and blades can make a difference also with torsion type slants IMO.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
IMHO @Old Hippie is the resident expert on slants.

Thank you for the kind words, however I but stand on the shoulders of giants. Plus I'm a retired guy with time to write long posts. :)

There are a number of slant guys hanging out here. One thing I'll point out is that over the last five years or so I've seen slant razors move out of the shadows. If it hadn't been for Merkur putting out their all-new-for-1955 lineup every year, we wouldn't have modern slants, I don't think. Look back about 15 years here, and you'll see a much different composition to the shave marketplace.

There has been enough interest that some companies are doing real investigation to unlock some previously-unanswered (in fact probably unasked) questions. At the risk of being branded a heretic, I will say that if one stacks up a Fasan Double Slant, a Merkur "Super Slant" and a RazoRock Superslant one will quickly realize "one of these things is not like the others." For me the most congenial way to approach those differences is simply to appreciate the razor in hand for what it is. Some shave amazingly well; with others it's amazing they shave.

Slants are my shaving happy place. I haven't tried them all -- I'm particularly weak in the vintage area -- but I've been lucky to get some very nice ones and to have the opportunity to let some of the initially uncomfortable ones show their special grace on continued association.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For those of you who have used both mass produced, non-artisan grade slants and their more expensive offerings found a difference in shave results?

Yes, but only really in that way that any mass produced product might differ from an artisanal cousin. A company focused on producing lots of something with the highest level of "efficiency" to control costs so it can be sold as inexpensively as possible has a different way of evaluating whether a product is successful.

I notice pretty similar "genetics" in the designs of the lower-market slants. Sometimes that's well-done, other times not so much. My sympathies lie with those who are pushing the limits of knowledge outward.

I.E., iKon X3 vs B1 or Merkur 37c vs. Superslant (L#/+/++) or Above the Tie S1/S2

I've been thinking lately about how innovations always seem to be snapshots of a moment in time, as they get older. The iKon X3 seems like an attempt to revive the differential razor in a slant format, but I've never been completely happy with it. The Merkur 37/39 is another snapshot, although as I say I see a lot of similarities between it and other offerings. RazoRock's "German 37" is the obvious example, but there are other slants out there that look (and in many cases, shave) similarly.

The S and X slants from ATT are fresher takes on the concept. After 10 years the S series has aged very gracefully and still has impressive capabilities. The X design really blew my hat off. It can be either a really smooth slant or it can be labeled as a really mild AC razor for those who want to explore that platform but don't want ultimate aggression.

I have my first slant; a Yaqi OC Slant head and am curious to what extent there is a difference between it and the higher dollar slant options.

As @Ron R says, a good/great shave is just about guaranteed with any of them. (My apologies if Ron didn't actually mean that; it's how I read his comment.) As much as I'm tempted to gas on at great length here, I'm mindful that the only way to tell for you is to try them. If you're getting good shaves with what you have, that may be sufficient. I have been surprised by how well some "cheap" razors shave. I've also had spendy razors "buck me off" and they're making somebody else happy now.

My last couple of months has been spent with the Wunderbar, the Konsul and the Superslant L3. I have been getting lovely shaves. Sometimes I don't take as much care to hit every little hair, or I may decide to quit after getting a pretty good shave. Or, or, or...the razor is just one piece of the picture. But I have not had to fiddle with blades to get things lined up, I have always had a handle on the razor that pleases me, and mirable visu I arise on shave days with a feeling of excitement rather than dread.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you for the kind words, however I but stand on the shoulders of giants. Plus I'm a retired guy with time to write long posts. :)

There are a number of slant guys hanging out here. One thing I'll point out is that over the last five years or so I've seen slant razors move out of the shadows. If it hadn't been for Merkur putting out their all-new-for-1955 lineup every year, we wouldn't have modern slants, I don't think. Look back about 15 years here, and you'll see a much different composition to the shave marketplace.

There has been enough interest that some companies are doing real investigation to unlock some previously-unanswered (in fact probably unasked) questions. At the risk of being branded a heretic, I will say that if one stacks up a Fasan Double Slant, a Merkur "Super Slant" and a RazoRock Superslant one will quickly realize "one of these things is not like the others." For me the most congenial way to approach those differences is simply to appreciate the razor in hand for what it is. Some shave amazingly well; with others it's amazing they shave.

Slants are my shaving happy place. I haven't tried them all -- I'm particularly weak in the vintage area -- but I've been lucky to get some very nice ones and to have the opportunity to let some of the initially uncomfortable ones show their special grace on continued association.

O.H.
As close as I've come to the Fasan is the Filament PAA has out from time to time.. my wife "borrowed" my first one. She loves it .. .and has moved away from the female Gillette products. I haven't used my second Filament yet, but I'll get to it eventually. I still have to figure out the SuperSlant. I get close shaves but not comfortable shaves yet. It's me, not the razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes, but only really in that way that any mass produced product might differ from an artisanal cousin. A company focused on producing lots of something with the highest level of "efficiency" to control costs so it can be sold as inexpensively as possible has a different way of evaluating whether a product is successful.

I notice pretty similar "genetics" in the designs of the lower-market slants. Sometimes that's well-done, other times not so much. My sympathies lie with those who are pushing the limits of knowledge outward.

I've been thinking lately about how innovations always seem to be snapshots of a moment in time, as they get older. The iKon X3 seems like an attempt to revive the differential razor in a slant format, but I've never been completely happy with it. The Merkur 37/39 is another snapshot, although as I say I see a lot of similarities between it and other offerings. RazoRock's "German 37" is the obvious example, but there are other slants out there that look (and in many cases, shave) similarly.

The S and X slants from ATT are fresher takes on the concept. After 10 years the S series has aged very gracefully and still has impressive capabilities. The X design really blew my hat off. It can be either a really smooth slant or it can be labeled as a really mild AC razor for those who want to explore that platform but don't want ultimate aggression.

As @Ron R says, a good/great shave is just about guaranteed with any of them. (My apologies if Ron didn't actually mean that; it's how I read his comment.) As much as I'm tempted to gas on at great length here, I'm mindful that the only way to tell for you is to try them. If you're getting good shaves with what you have, that may be sufficient. I have been surprised by how well some "cheap" razors shave. I've also had spendy razors "buck me off" and they're making somebody else happy now.

My last couple of months has been spent with the Wunderbar, the Konsul and the Superslant L3. I have been getting lovely shaves. Sometimes I don't take as much care to hit every little hair, or I may decide to quit after getting a pretty good shave. Or, or, or...the razor is just one piece of the picture. But I have not had to fiddle with blades to get things lined up, I have always had a handle on the razor that pleases me, and mirable visu I arise on shave days with a feeling of excitement rather than dread.

O.H.
For me, the X1 AC Slant is an excellent razor. It is mild... but for me, efficient enough for my face. I get what I'm looking for in a razor: a smooth, relaxing, comfortable yet close shave and I get that with it every time I use it. Now, I do switch the OEM handle out for a Timeless Ti Crown handle, as is my custom. That does change the balance to the head instead of the handle. I seem to prefer that feel, for some reason. I use that handle on most of my top razors, whenever possible or practical.

With over 500 slants in my collection, and with at least 2/3s of them shaved with, I keep coming back to the Merkur 37. The measure of all things slantwise, imho, although there are those I like even more. These are, however, less allround/forgiving.
Another really terrific slant is the PAA Alpha Ecliptic in bakelite.
Higher end, I have to agree with @Old Hippie that the ATT S? are marvellous razors. Different take on the slant that worked out remarkably well. I only like the steel version, the aluminum doesn't quite agree with me for some reason.
RR Wunderbar, SSL2++ are great razors too, but for me do not add to that what the above razors give/accomplish.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

O.H.
Your past month with the Wunderbar, the Konsul, and the Superslant L3 is intriguing and begs for unpacking. Do you have any of your usual astute and nuanced observations about the three, including any comparative observations? I love your lengthy posts!

I have never tried a CNC machined slant razor as I see no need to do so. I have the Parker Semi-slant 55SL that costs around $30. It is one of my favorite razors and I own a couple of CNC razors. The Parker is very well designed, very well made, and gives a great shave. Why spend more if you do not need to do so.

Top Bottom