What's new

Cheap vs. Less Cheap Slants

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am a slant fan. Not really very knowledgeable about them though and not a true collector. (Some might disagree with not a collector.)

View attachment 1614323

This is an old photo of a few I own. I think one of these is no longer in my shave den.

The WB? Great razor other than being prone to biting.

I'm also glad to have the Konsul, but wish it had a bit more low end.

To me, the ATT X1 is very hard to beat.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Ah...but what is the "low" end?

@efsk - unfortunately, I don't have any of those blades. I'd think a 1-use old Feather blade would be plenty, but I had to go over areas multiple times.

It could also just be a difference in our hair.

Maybe I'll have to try a different blade in the PAA Monster OC, but it just felt like more work to get as good a result from another razor that takes less time.
I think it's more a case of finding the right way to use the razor.
However: could be lightweight is not for you. Mulcuto understood this: they produced the same razor in plastic and metal and combinations thereof. You write the Parker semislant works for you. That means, imho, you really should get a Merkur 37. Maybe an iKon 102, if still available. The X3 might be too mild for you.

@efsk - i experimented with various angles and pressures with the PAA razor. I've been using DE razors for 14 years. If I need to invest a ton of time and nuance into getting the PAA to work when another works fine and fast, then the PAA just isn't for me and I don't believe my technique is at fault here.

I learned about sensible limits within myself in the process of trying to on-board straight razors. The time to care for and develop workable skills to use wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff.

I'm not looking to make a new hobby out of what is otherwise a personal hygiene process. I like finding interesting tools to try to make the experience more efficient for my time and money. I'm not interested in romanticizing it or making more work for myself.

I don't find fault who will spend the time to turn on music, warm up a lather bowl, and relish developing the perfect skill to remove hair from one's face. I don't have that kind of time or enthusiasm about this stuff.

Anyway, I might consider the Merkur 37 at some point. It's cheap enough that maybe I'll give it a shot after I'm done sorting out my existing batch of slants.

As I've previously iterated, I think all the Above the Tie razors are priced beyond what I think is sensible for me to shave my face when I have more than one razor that can do it acceptably well for a fraction of the cost.

thanks!

Like I said:
could be lightweight is not for you.
I found with just a minor adjustment to what I was used to for me they perform absolutely fabulous. I know several who agree, but also several who disagree. Probably the reason so many different razors exist.
Merkur 37: you should get one. It's been in continued production for around 100 years. That means something.

i’m not especially enamored with Merkur. Their quality control is flaky and it seems like their offerings are well represented in other, higher quality brands’ lines, like Muhle and Razorock.

Dunno. I've 47 Merkur, and some 35 more produced by Merkur for other brands, varying from vintage to present. Only one with a problem is a vintage one I bought second hand, which has a split handle like many vintage Gillette have. You don't get to exist, as a company, for over 125 years when your QC/products are flaky.

used the Fatip with a 2-shave old Feather. Blade noise was more muted compared to the PAA and significantly quieter than the Yaqi OC. Still a pretty smooth, quick 2-pass result.

So far, the Parker and then Storto lead the group. The others will go up for sale soon.

May try a Merkur and am on the fence about the Razorock Superslant.

I tried a yaqi slant with a oc top sb base, the the green criatura plastislant from paa, and the Razorock German 37

Stopped at the razorock because I love the shave it provides.... ymmv but to me it's the perfect amount of aggressive. not just overly aggressive like the paa and the yaqi were to me. I could achieve decent shaves but irritation was also easy to attain. I feel like it allows less blade flex because there's less blade exposed maintaining rigidity making for a more consistent and better shave.

I couldn't speak to the other razors you listed. Best of luck finding what you like best.

shaved with a Superslant L2 with Maggard Super Knurl handle and Feather 3-shave old blade and it went exceptionally well.

now i feel i have to shave side to side with my Parker, Fatipand Superslant. Is the Razorock working three times the price better? That’s the question i’m going to work out.

the superslant L2 had minimal blade noise with the Feather. i’m really curious to try the L3.

nonetheless, the Parker Semi-Slant, Fatip Storto Original and the Superslant L2 are at the top of my efficiency, ease of use and excellent results chart.

The Yaqi slant allows a lot of blade feedback and while i certainly know it can be helpful, it has required more focus to ensure the blade doesn’t bite. The Yaqi will almost definitely be going to the BST.

This slant journey has definitely confirmed that i don’t particularly enjoy razors with loads of blade exposure. they always require a lot of focus and nearly always draw blood.

this has been a great learning experience and thankfully some of these slants are producing exceptional shaves with very little precision to the technique.

Last edited:
Shaving with the DLC-Yagi OC Slant (not Slope) and a 5+ shave old Feather blade attached to my Muhle standard handle was a very audible experience and I got an okay 2-pass shave. Missed some hairs due to me exercising an extremely light touch and control. Didn't want to blindly carve out my face ;)

I shaved with the Parker a few days ago with a new Feather and it was really nice! Excellent shave results in 1 pass and darn near perfect in 2 passes. The smoothness is certainly related to the closed-comb bar and more blade support. I wouldn't be displeased if this was the only razor combo I ever used. Awesome for a ~$32 shipped new razor and lightyears more pleasant than literally being on edge using any of my R41s (2011/2013 heads which will be for sale).

The PAA La Criatura OC showed up today, so will try that soon and I have a Fatip Storto Gold Original on the way from a local.

The only other slant I'm curious to try is the Razorock Superslant. Not sure where I'd start on the base plates, but so far the Parker's bar and firmer blade control has me not feeling explicitly inclined to wait for the Superslant OC option.

I'll see how the PAA and Fatip OCs perform, whether or not they're enjoyable to use and give a satisfactory result.

I also re-stocked on blades on recommendations from folks here since I'm effectively out after 14 years on my first sampler pack :)

Got another batch of Feather SS and added Kai SS, Perma-Sharp, Gillette 7-O'Clock SS and the Parker blades that came with that razor to the selection.
The Parker Semi Slant is underrated

The Parker Semi Slant is underrated
What does that even mean?

The Parker works great for those it works great for. In my experience it's practically like the Edwin Jagger DE89 in it's mild, low attention requirement. But like the DE89 FOR ME, it required more detail work to get the finer stubble gone compared to other slants.

I think there are certainly razors that are touted more frequently on this forum (Superslant, Konsul, ATT, Fatip Storto Open Comb), and maybe you mean to imply that the Parker Semi-Slant doesn't get mentioned enough.

However, I'm about a month into experimenting with slants and I only found out about the Parker from this forum via several "new to slant" threads. So, from my perspective it doesn't seem to qualify as "underrated" by way of my experience here.

What does that even mean?

I'm sure that relates to form posts. Maybe it means 'not over praised' combined with missing that admiration that follows high priced razors. And perhaps it means that zamak razors get less respect than they deserve.

My only objection to the Parker is that the handle is not to my taste. That said, many will prefer a long, hefty handle.

Fit and finish are very good. It should last for many years.

I prefer the shaves from my RazoRock Superslant L3, Wunderbar, and Piccolo Lo Storto Originale. If I was shaving daily for quick, utilitarian results I would probably prefer to grab the Semi-Slant (on a different handle), just as I used my Merkur 36 slant for decades. I think the Parker delivers an easy, effective shave with little opportunity for user error.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I think the Parker delivers an easy, effective shave with little opportunity for user error.

I thought the shave was fine, handle a bit long. I like a bit more mass, and zamak isn't my first choice for razor materials -- but not my last choice, either. A solid middle-of-the-road shaver. My son has it now.

With a Merkur 37 and a RazoRock German 37 I didn't need yet another homage to the Merkur 37.

O.H.

I finally got a shave in with the Razorock Superslant L3 plate and a 1-shave old Astra blade. It definitely was more effective than the L2++ plate for me. However, despite the L3's performance and the nice solid bar metal feel on my face, I can't definitively say it performs 4-5x better for the cost than my $26 Fatip Storto Original Open Comb razor. I'd sooner buy a Storto Gentile for the solid bar feel and keep the additional cash in the bank.

I'll likely be unloading either the L2++ plate and/or the entire Superslant top cap + L2++ base + L3 base. It's a fantastic razor with excellent efficiency and face-feel, but I found a better value vs. performance proposition for me in the Fatip.

The merkur 37c is still the slant my face enjoys the most. Mine broke so I no longer have one, but it is just so darn polite to use! No nicks, smooth, perfect weight and balance. If they made a full brass or stainless one I'd just settle for it for the rest of my days. Alas it doesn't seem to be in the cards

I've considered the vintage hoffritz and Cole offerings but I suspect it'll poop out on me eventually. For now the wunderbar and superslants are my favorite. I downright dislike the above the tie slants, clamping is lousy. The Ikon b1 was good but I don't prefer slants with variable blade exposure. Makes certain places feel inconsistent. The German 37 is exceptional, but even the guys at rasorock say it'll probably only last a few years before it succumbs. The Konsul is good, almost great, but is not as well clamped as some of the other razors mentioned. It reminds me of a superior ATT S1.

I finally got a shave in with the Razorock Superslant L3 plate and a 1-shave old Astra blade. It definitely was more effective than the L2++ plate for me. However, despite the L3's performance and the nice solid bar metal feel on my face, I can't definitively say it performs 4-5x better for the cost than my $26 Fatip Storto Original Open Comb razor. I'd sooner buy a Storto Gentile for the solid bar feel and keep the additional cash in the bank.

I'll likely be unloading either the L2++ plate and/or the entire Superslant top cap + L2++ base + L3 base. It's a fantastic razor with excellent efficiency and face-feel, but I found a better value vs. performance proposition for me in the Fatip.
I agree that the Fatip is a better value, but I have not been able to get any Fatip to work well for me. I'm sure it's something in my technique, but I have owned at least 4 different Fatips (including the FOCS) as well as a Schone, and all of them resulted in irritiation on my neck. The shave felt smooth and the results were excellent, but eventually you just have to accept that the razor isn't for you (or me, in this case) and move on. To that end, the SuperSlant L3 is my answer to a great slant at a reasonable price.

Top Bottom