What's new

Cheap vs. Less Cheap Slants

I have about 20 slant DE razors and all have their personalities. In my opinion the point of diminishing returns can come as early as $35. The Fatip LoStorto Originale and Gentile (the Gentile being arguably the better of the 2) will amaze a new to slants shaver. They are very easy to afford, easy to use and very forgiving.

I have about 20 slant DE razors and all have their personalities. In my opinion the point of diminishing returns can come as early as $35. The Fatip LoStorto Originale and Gentile (the Gentile being arguably the better of the 2) will amaze a new to slants shaver. They are very easy to afford, easy to use and very forgiving.
Would you thus recommend the Gentile for a new to slants?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

The FOCS is one of my best razors. I had the SB Fatip slant (the Gentile) but gave it away. The FOCS is also one of my best slants, and I have plenty of them albeit not a collection.

Nothing wrong with the Gentile, but the FOCS is a better razor. Both are very easy on one's skin. Both are easy to use.

When thinking about which slant to buy you might want to read the Slantember threads.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I LOVE the Originale. I have recommended it to so many people and have been it’s cheerleader for a good while. It excels at buffing, is efficient and mild. While not as mild as a Tech or Superspeed it is easy to use with a very easy to find angle.

The Gentile is even easier to use and slightly more mild. In my use it is just as efficient. It perhaps loses a point for not buffing as well but it is to be expected. Open combs keep soap in play better.

My suggestion is get both. They are plenty inexpensive and having a spare razor is never a bad idea. If pressed, I would choose the Gentile for a new to slants shaver.

The Gentile is even easier to use and slightly more mild. In my use it is just as efficient. It perhaps loses a point for not buffing as well but it is to be expected. Open combs keep soap in play better.
That is basically what I experienced. I am new-to-slants and started with the PAA monster slant which is open comb. After becoming enamored with that thing, I ordered the Fatip Gentile slant.

My findings is that for a one pass shave, the PAA and the Fatip are very similar, so for me no difference as they are both comfy, mild, and close shavers. But if you go to a second or more passes, the open comb may be more effective.

The soap/cream that you use plays a big role too, since the safety bar should not scrape away the lubricating oils in your lather. I use Jack Black Beard Lube before face lathering with my cream/soap.

I think the FaTip slants on a value per dollar scale are unbeatable.

The Fine slant is slightly better At everything but at a much higher cost…if you can even find one.

The Wunderbar is arguably more efficient but again for much more money.

Diminishing returns.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think the FaTip slants on a value per dollar scale are unbeatable.

It's not FaTip, it's Fatip.

Otherwise you're right, but it's not just that. The FOCS is a very good shaving razor regardless of price.

The Fine slant is slightly better At everything but at a much higher cost…if you can even find one.

To me, my Fine slant is a good razor. I certainly like it, but I wouldn't say it shaves better than the FOCS.

The Wunderbar is arguably more efficient but again for much more money.

Diminishing returns.

The Wunderbar is definitely more efficient. It's also amazingly smooth feeling in use. However, the Wunderbar has a decided tendency to jump up out of nowhere and bite you. I used a Wunderbar for a month during one of the Fixed Fours. I think I had one shave which didn't involve blood. Other than that, I really do like the Wunderbar.

Happy shaves,

Jim

the SuperSlant is an evolution of the Wunderbat.

i liked the SuperSlant, but found the head profile too pronounced and enjoy the maneuverability of the Yaqi Slope more especially under my nose.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If my SuperSlant L2++ doesn't sell, I might eventually try another base plate, maybe a L1OC. But I much prefer my other two slants: the ATT X1 and the ATT S1. I have the S2OC but I haven't tried it yet. I suspect it will also be nice... Oh, and I have the very inexpensive PAA Filament. My wife just loves hers.

The WB can nip but I think that’s why I love it. It makes you a better user.

I admit I’m currently smitten with a certain single edge 😗

FYI - i think i just realized that the iKon B1 is just a coated version of the X3 head - sorry.
The X3 has more of a safety bar. The B1 has teeth, which I'm sure was harder to make, but got clogged much easier with shaving cream.

The coating is supposed to protect the stainless steel and make it a smoother surface to shave with. I don't care for it. Why not just metal plate it like the Muhle R41 GS? While your at it, why not rhodium since it's supposed to be the best?

The X3 does have a big gap. I paired it with a 175gram handle and while shaving under the nose, carved off a sizable piece of one of my nostrils. Now I'm shy around that area whatever razor I use.

The X3 has more of a safety bar. The B1 has teeth, which I'm sure was harder to make, but got clogged much easier with shaving cream.

The coating is supposed to protect the stainless steel and make it a smoother surface to shave with. I don't care for it. Why not just metal plate it like the Muhle R41 GS? While your at it, why not rhodium since it's supposed to be the best?

The X3 does have a big gap. I paired it with a 175gram handle and while shaving under the nose, carved off a sizable piece of one of my nostrils. Now I'm shy around that area whatever razor I use.
We need our noses.

FWIW, I have been training the online AIs with data as I research shaving, Here is what ChatGPT 3.5 gave me when I asked about the slants I have in my research:

Razor ModelProsCons
Parker Shaving SemiSlant- Good build quality- Some users find it less aggressive than desired

- Comfortable shave- Limited availability

- Affordable
Razorock Wunderbar- Efficient and aggressive shave- Can be too aggressive for beginners

- Stainless steel construction- Price may be higher compared to other options

- Well-balanced design
Razorock Superslant- Unique slant design- Some users report a learning curve

- Good price point- Not suitable for beginners

- Quality materials
iKon X3- Precision engineering- Higher price point

- Stainless steel construction- May require some experience to use effectively

- Excellent build quality
Rex Konsul- Adjustable aggression- Expensive compared to some alternatives

- High-quality craftsmanship- Heavyweight design

- Smooth and efficient shave
Merkur 37C- Classic design- Some users find it less durable than other options

- Affordable- Slightly more aggressive than standard razors

- Well-known brand with a good reputation
Fatip Lo Sorto- Affordable and lightweight- Aggressive shave may not be suitable for all users

- Unique and stylish design- Some users report a steeper learning curve
Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant- Budget-friendly- Limited availability

- Aggressive shaving angle- May require more attention to technique

- Lightweight and easy to handle

Here are the results from ChatGPT 4 (Microsoft version of ChatGPT integrated with Bing):
Please note that the efficiency and aggressiveness of a razor can vary greatly depending on the individual’s shaving technique, skin type, and beard coarseness. It’s always a good idea to try out different razors to find the one that suits you best.

1sharpologist.com2badgerandblade.com3sharpologist.com4badgerandblade.com5badgerandblade.com6badgerandblade.com7badgerandblade.com8badgerandblade.com9badgerandblade.com10badgerandblade.com11badgerandblade.com12badgerandblade.com13sharpologist.com14badgerandblade.com15badgerandblade.com16theshaveden.com17theshavingroom.co.uk18shavingadvisor.com19luxuryshavingrazors.com20badgerandblade.com21refinedshave.com22shavingadvisor.com23badgerandblade.com24shavingadvisor.com25maggardrazors.com26shavinguniverse.com27badgerandblade.com28badgerandblade.com29damnfineshave.com30badgerandblade.com31theshaveden.com32badgerandblade.com33amazon.com34badgerandblade.com35badgerandblade.com36sharpologist.com37youtube.com38youtube.com39youtube.com40badgerandblade.com41shavenation.com

Note - the numbers are footnotes as to where the AI got the information it used (one of the upgrades in ChatGPT 4). B&B is a popular online source.

Here is Bard's response - its a little trickier as it doesn't provide references. I had to track down the "adjustable blade gap" for the X3 (apparently via adding o-rings or shims) and it sometimes confuses continuous adjustable (dial) with discrete adjustable (plates). Bard also tends to hallucinate more than the others.

RazorProsCons
Parker SemiSlantSmooth shave with efficient blade angle, gentle on sensitive skinLess aggressive slant than others, might not be ideal for thick beard
Razorock WunderbarAffordable, good build quality, adjustable blade gapCan be slightly heavier than some, head geometry might not suit all face shapes
Razorock SuperslantHigh level of blade feel, aggressive slant for thick beardsRequires careful technique, more prone to nicks for beginners
iKon X3Excellent build quality, smooth and efficient shave, adjustable blade gapPricey, head design might not work for everyone
Rex KonsulUnique blade exposure, highly customizable with interchangeable top platesAdjustment mechanism can be finicky, blade gap range might not be enough for some
Merkur 37CClassic design, mild slant suitable for most skin typesNot as aggressive as some other slants, might not be efficient enough for very coarse beards
Fatip Lo SortoAffordable, lightweight, aggressive slant for fast shavesRequires extremely careful handling, prone to nicks due to blade exposure
Yaqi Top Aggressive SlantBudget-friendly, aggressive slant for thick beardsBuild quality might not be as high as some, head geometry might not be comfortable for everyone

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find your question a good one, and very reasonable. Nobody wants to have to buy every slant available to find the best fit. The problem are the number of variables. For the shaver: different faces, beards and technique. If it's too aggressive for me that doesn't mean it's too aggressive for you.

Mass produced goods have their own variables, and sometimes you get lucky and end up with the perfect fit for your face and technique because of, not despite the variety in quality control.

The only slant I've owned is the ATT S1. It was my travel razor for years and was perfect for the job - nearly impossible to get a weeper with this one - for me.

AI answers are as expected quite vague. It really does not paint the whole picture especially with the SuperSlant line which has 12 baseplates in it's lineup. I would just comment, that SuperSlants are very beginner friendly, provided that you have entry level baseplates, at least that holds for the L1 and L1++OC baseplates as judging from my experience.

Of the slants I tried only SuperSlants (and of that line L1 and L1++OC), since I find that lineup the most interesting, especially 316 steel being sculpted into a complex shape with multitude of curvatures. And I must say that the entry baseplates are very beginner friendly. I will go so far as to say, that for me the L1 is more user friendly then Henson mild with less chance of nicks and weepers ... but also less efficient. I need 3 passes + touch ups with Henson whereas for L1 i need 4 passes + touch ups with more additinal effort on stretchig the skin on problematic areas.

The same as for Henson mild, with L1 I can just zap around my face on autopilot without worries. Amanzingly smooth, with just the right amount of sound feedback as to when it cuts wiskers.

L1++OC is more efficient while still beeing smooth. Probability of nicks and weepers the same as Henson mild for me. Efficiency a bit better than Henson mild. I go with 2,5 passes + touch ups. I really like this baseplate. It is a terrific dailly driver for me.

I like the Henson mild and SuperSlants that I have equally. (I only mention the Henson as a point of reference when making a claim about SuperSlants being beginner friendly.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom