What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

OK two shaves in with the 37c. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my shaves are not that close. After three passes, I have to do about 10 mins worth of touchups against the grain to get to BBS. First WTG pass, meh. Second XTG pass, meh. Third pass ATG, better. Then about 10 mins. more ATG. I also need to apply pressure to get a close shave. Strange, as everything I've read said this razor is aggressive and efficient.

If you want to get into the Slant Game, I highly recommend the medium-aggressive RazoRock German 37 Slant. It's a smooth stunner with the polished 316L stainless steel HD handle. It has good balance, heft & feels good in the hand. Stellar performer & excellent value.

Razor: RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade: Nacet (4)
Brush: Van Der Hagen Pure Badger Brush
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar, Cremo Classic Shave Cream
Soap: Stubble Buster Evocative
Aftershave: Ice water, Skin Bracer, Duke Cannon A/S Balm
Growth: 38 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG, touchup
Rating: 10/10

Results: Stubble Buster Evocative Shaving Soap by Groomatorium is a very good performer & excellent value. My other Underrated & Hidden Gem Soap is Pedro Fiasco Pomegranate & Wood by Ariana & Evans. Nacet is a sharp & smooth winner. Relaxing shave with an invigorating finish. BBS result. No bloodshed. No drama. Great Shave!

IMG_20220712_093151646.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
After some extended play with the Rex Konsul, I wanted to revisit some of the other fine slants in the box. I decided that the PAA El Fantasma would get the nod. I can't like it out of the box, but it's easy to make it more congenial to my preferences. A stainless handle (RazoRock UFO) and a shim between the blade and baseplate make it a lovely razor.

I've said it before but it bears repetition: the "ElF" is a pretty accurate copy of the Fasan Double Slant. In fact, I like the ElF better than my Fasan, because the Fasan has about 85 more years of wear on it and survived a major war. I always think the Fasan is like driving an old Ford F-1 pickup. It's old, it has quirks and crotchets and requires a sensible hand to mesh things smoothly. It rattles and bangs and weaves a little, but it gets the job done.

The ElF is like driving that truck after a perfect restoration. It's still Old Skool (tm) but with better handling. :) I highly recommend to anyone looking to experience significant helicality in a well-made razor to pick up any one of the Monster series. I have three ElFs, two of which are still boxed up in reserve. I keep meaning to grab a Filament.

It was a lovely shave leading to a fine DFS after two passes with a bit of cleanup. After shaving my head wet, I traditionally crank up an electric to get the small area of my cheeks above the beard. I have a Madonna mole on my right cheekbone and I've always figured I could remove it in fine style with a blade. After discovering I could shave over it with a devette (!) I started using the Konsul on those spots. The difference with the ElF is the blade is a bit more revealed, and hitting those whiskers pops like eating fresh sweet corn. Dunno if that makes sense, but as a metaphor it works for me.

I'm going to use the ElF this week, then put the blade into the Wunderbar next week. We'll see after that where I go.

O.H.

@Old Hippie , PAA assured me the Filament is from the PBOCS template, not a Monster, so you should grab one right away. If true, it will be very different from the ElF.

I am going to load my ElF once for Shark Week. I expect I will open 'er up a little (truck metaphor) rather than shimming.

BTW, you have saved me from Fasan double slant RAD. Plus I got to taste the Merkur double. Thanks!

Wunderbar loaded with a 7 o'clock black. great combo, the smoothness of the blade suits the jumpiness of the razor to dial it down a bit. I was fully focused during the shave (the only way) which resulted in a smooth and very close shave.

Old Hippie

I am going to load my ElF once for Shark Week. I expect I will open 'er up a little (truck metaphor) rather than shimming.

I have got to get a long M4.5x0.75 tap. I picked up a neat trick from Claudio (@Clouds) who makes a locking handle that can safely open up a razor. The simplest thing in the world, once you know. I never would have thought of it; the man's a genius. I started to modify my FOCS but discovered I need a longer tap. Easy to find; hard to remember to find it when I've got other things on the go. Anyhow, point of the blather is to say "be careful." I got a pretty good nick when the razor loosened up even more without me realizing it.

The only reason I like a shim is that I can tighten things up and still have the bigger gap.

BTW, you have saved me from Fasan double slant RAD. Plus I got to taste the Merkur double. Thanks!

Thanks for the push toward the Filament -- I'm giving it a bit of thought. What makes me a bit cautious is the realization that people talk about the Wunderbar as a mostly well-mannered razor that does not suffer fools, but speak of the old PBOCS as a biter with bad attitude and the odd quirk of delivering a good shave on occasion. On the other hand, "Heere Bee Draggonnes" usually makes me want to go looking to see. :)

O.H.

The Filament is milder than the Wunderbar, in my experience. And it benefits no end from a heavier handle (at least on my old man beard!) :)

I have not seen one in person, just corresponded with PAA. So maybe the Filament is not a prettier PBOCS in ABS. The 'bakelite, not fakelite' version has a huge amount of unsupported blade reveal - at least mine does. :cool:

I have got to get a long M4.5x0.75 tap. I picked up a neat trick from Claudio (@Clouds) who makes a locking handle that can safely open up a razor.

Claudio finished a Shark Week shave with his PAA Ascension head locked 3/4 opened! Unfortunately the visualization muscles in my head seem to have cramped, so I can't picture the locking mechanism.

Old Hippie

Claudio finished a Shark Week shave with his PAA Ascension head locked 3/4 opened! Unfortunately the visualization muscles in my head seem to have cramped, so I can't picture the locking mechanism.

Basically what he's done is make a handle that has been drilled all the way through. The threaded part into which the cap stud screws is deeper, and a threaded rod goes up the handle and screws up to jam against the bottom of the stud. Thus locking the handle.

I got to looking at my FOCS and realized that the ferrule at the top was already drilled all the way through, only they didn't thread it all the way down. The tap I used goes almost to the bottom of the hole, so I need a longer tap. I'll make a brass rod threaded to fit up the hole when I get that finished, and the FOCS at least will be a "Clouds Special."

His presentation is far more elegant, however.

O.H.

still the same setup, wunderbar + 7oc black. I went for the baby during the cleanup pass. I am paying the price in some stinging, but I got there :straight:

Simple concept:
Its a two piece handle.

All that happens is you unscrew the outer section of the handle to where you want it. The inner section is then screwed in and locked up against the centre stud and thus stops the top plate from rotating.

The more a head curves a blade the better it works. The PAA Ascension works great with it as does a Super Slant. I used it on my Seygus Zeppelin this morning - also works very well.

It doesn't work on my Olaf Rasmussen.

They say that a picture is 1000 words - I hope that the image illustrates it better.

Adjustable Handle 2.jpg

Simple concept:
Its a two piece handle.

Thanks for applying the paddles and jolting my brain back to life. Somehow looking at your photo made it as obvious to me as it was when I saw a post from you long ago.

Now that I am again as impressed as I was then, I am contemplating how I can make my own version.

On the cheap, for test purposes, because that's how I roll. :001_rolle

I have been using the Wunderbar for a while now again. New blade: Gillette-Wilkinson. I didn't like this blade in non-slants, not sharp enough there, but the slanted bar gives it a bit more cutting power and combined with its smoothness, it is an excellent pairing. Maybe even better than the 7oc black was because that sharpened up from the 2nd shave and was a bit too much in the Wunderbar, although you only notice the feedback post shave.

Top Bottom