What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

The "G37" is an abbreviation for RazoRock's "German 37."

"37G" is the abbreviation for the gold-plated Merkur 37.

And yes, they're kinda rare. Or at least discontinued a few years ago, I hear. I believe you can still get a 34G, but if you're on the hunt for a 37G, better pack a lunch.

O.H.
I wonder why they discontinued the Gold plated slant? They still have other gold Merkurs. Glad I have mine from over a decade ago.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I wonder why they discontinued the Gold plated slant? They still have other gold Merkurs. Glad I have mine from over a decade ago.

One thing I think I understand about Merkur is that they look pretty hard at the bottom line. When you buy a 37 you're basically buying a razor from the 1950s. They really haven't changed much, except for some tooling changes and minor design tweaks. My vintage pre-1970 37 shaves the same as a more recent one.

It's just my impression, but it really feels like they're afraid of a little innovation. What's really happening, I suspect, is the same thing that's hitting every manufacturer. Design work and vision cost money that you may never recoup in the marketplace. On the other hand, just doing the same old same old costs you customers, leaving even less money for development. Of course, one might also wish that Gillette and some other makers would still be making their immediate post-war lineups...

I could understand it if they'd do what the Royal Enfield motorcycle company did. I remember seeing ads in bike mags just a few years ago saying, "Come in and check out our 1956 models!" It worked. But Merkur's not even playing on their history. They keep paring down their offerings. Reports of their imminent demise have circulated several times; one of these days they're gonna go under. Companies that are a bit more nimble will stay afloat.

O.H.

Wunderbar, Gillette Wilkinson (4th use), Laugar Ragnarok soap, Speick AS splash and finally Lavera balm. A wunderbar shave. I didn't expect a great shave on a 4th use blade, but it was still efficient and smooth as anything. Lathering the Laugar, sometimes, like today, I get it right, then it is perfect. Maybe it was the new brush (PAA Amber Aerolite). Even its post shave feel was great which I don't really care for, as I apply balm mostly, but today I noticed it. No stinging from the AS whatsoever. With the wunderbar, this is the real measure of the shave :)

Wunderbar/RR narrow common bar paired with the Kai that won't quit. Together they cleaned up the neck maelstroms
1E5B9131-59EF-4141-8773-EF28FC5AB544.jpeg

Prompted by the amazing shave with my father in law's 37c several weeks ago, I ordered a German 37 for comparison. I haven't used the 37c in years, and coming back to it blew my mind. Such a quick, comfortable shave with such amazing results. German 37 has, I would say, a bit more blade feel and is not as comfortable as 37c. It did also give me a bit more nicks than 37c too. But the resulting shave is the same, surprisingly smooth and painless. Almost on a par with R41, but with much much less hassle and drama. I'll try again soon with a different soap since I can't seem to dial in my AYLM at all. The lack of proper cushioning could prove to be the source of my nicks.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I seem to be setting a trend: Spend a week or two shaving with Any Other Razor, then when that blade's ready for the bin whistle up the Rex Konsul and shave out a blade in it. Lately I dug out my old ATT G1 Gem razor and ran that a few days. This morning I put a fresh blade in the Konsul and had an absolutely lovely shave.

This also gives me time to mull over which razor will be appropriate after the current run with the Konsul. Haven't had the Stainless Steel Stealth Slant V4 out for a while. That may very well be next. I used the El Fantasma and the Wunderbar recently, and I'd like to pull out the Merkur 37 and the Super Slant (well, and the Fasan Double Slant too...). I've got options.

O.H.

Personally, I'm loading a Jaws blade in my Piccolo-handled FOCS and putting that combo on DE duty until Jaws quits or until Slantember, if that happens.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Personally, I'm loading a Jaws blade in my Piccolo-handled FOCS and putting that combo on DE duty until Jaws quits or until Slantember, if that happens.
I need to break out my "37" my friend! Thanks for the reminder.

I need to get a custom slant like your unique "twisted" Gillette types. SO intriguing!

Slantember tomorrow. It was a mostly slanted shave today, contradicting the SR dominance in the photoshoot. This was shave 5 with the FOCS/Jaws Platinum combo.
BBAF4E8E-D206-4BD8-A16D-30DB0D9148AE.jpeg

Slantember 2022 SOTD
SOTD-FSGT-P_2022-09-29.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Arko
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant GT
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black (5)
ASL: Hogwarts Express [home brew]

A very fine shave. :biggrin:
The aluminum Fine Slant (on its GT Handle) is definitely my favorite slant razor. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom